Thread: Trawler Heating
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #15
Mako
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeartr57 View Post
... we've determined that AC isn't really necessary, and that if/when we need it, a portable solution would work just fine... The consensus on heat, on the other hand, is a different story. It doesn't get frigid cold in San Diego, but cold enough to make the investment worthwhile... What advice do yall have on boat heating systems? We plan to spend most of our time (probably all of the time that heat is required) in a slip with reliable electricity constantly available, but electric heaters don't seem to be very popular for whatever reason (thoughts?). Cost is always a consideration, but not a limitation.
I lived onboard for several years in Newport and Huntington Harbors. I had electric heat but no aircon. Yes I had an onboard fire from the (old) electric heaters. Glad I never ran them when not onboard (please learn from this!)

But for a new install they're fine at the dock. Probably best and cheapest solution for you.

Not having aircon... well it was uncomfortable many times during the summer, so I tinted my salon windows. Wish I had insulation in that boat, that would have helped. But aircon was not necessary, only a convenience. Consider opening up your headliners and adding a layer of insulation.

Sitting dockside is different than anchored or cruising. On the left coast I don't think you need aircon if you're actively cruising, but if you wish to travel up north at some point in the future then you need a reliable source of heat. A simple diesel bulkhead heater and some small electric fans might be good enough. Total investment perhaps $1k. Easy to install by yourself.

My best advice is just buy a couple of oil-electric heaters from WalMart for now. Use the boat for some time before deciding to spend $5-10k for aircon or another expensive solution. But the insulation thing is important on overheads, hull, anywhere you can reach.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote