Lister diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish53

Guru
Vessel Name
Ana
Just curious if I'm the only one with a Lister or Lister Petter diesel engine?

Had an uncle fisherman in NJ that loved those engines.

His claim was the thumping of a 1 lunger did nor bother the fishies as much as a multi cylinder engine.

Like most , he survived OK, but never git rich fishing , and slept at home every night.

Interesting, I've never heard that about the fish but there could be something to it. It doesn't appear these engines have much popularity these days which is interesting as they last forever, 20,000 hrs. is nothing to them. I have a 1963 Lister Blackstone that has thousands of hours and still starts and runs flawlessly I just need to find a boat to put it in.

I belive Lister build lots of bigger multi-cylinder engines ... true?

Fish, are your Listers air cooled? I know some models are.

I belive Lister build lots of bigger multi-cylinder engines ... true?

They used to, the largest I believe was the JWSC6M which was a 10 liter 6 cylinder making 300hp@2000rpm and weighed almost 3000 lbs. Conversely I have a SL2M .9 liter and makes 8.5hp@1800 and weighs 520 lbs., it'd make a nice engine for 20' pocket trawler, with a 2 to 1 gear it turns a 16 inch propeller.

Fish, are your Listers air cooled? I know some models are.

I have three air cooled and the one in my boat is water cooled, it's a 2012 LPWS. They made both but the small air cooled ones were very common years ago and are still fairly easy to find and most that I see still run.

AB1W. It's in a Kohler 3KW genset. I want to use it as a house backup generator but I'll have to wait until the oceans rise.

Ah, the aluminum Lister, lots of those around from military surplus, most are air cooled but the water cooled versions were used in commercial generators and as marine propulsion engines.

Ah, the aluminum Lister, lots of those around from military surplus, most are air cooled but the water cooled versions were used in commercial generators and as marine propulsion engines.

It could use a new head. The aluminum didn't get along with the salt water cooling. I've fixed it with J-B Weld but don't know how long it will last. I can get air cooled heads all day long but no water cooled.

It could use a new head. The aluminum didn't get along with the salt water cooling. I've fixed it with J-B Weld but don't know how long it will last. I can get air cooled heads all day long but no water cooled.

Everyone had that problem which is why the heads are rare and usually expensive. The easiest thing would be to get a whole air cooled engine, they're not much money and easy to find, expect about $300.00 for a decent runner.

In the seventies I used to own an old wooden fishing boat fitted with an air cooled, hand start Lister. About 20 hp I think it was.
The engine never failed to start, but the boat sank twice at it's moorings.
I just used to drain the seawater from the sump losing as little engine oil as possible, check the external fuel tank and lines, removing water as necessary, and proceed to start.
Swing on handle to make sure everything turned, then drop a decompressor lever, and a second or so drop the other one. Sure wish I could do it again.

There's something soothing about that Padump, Padump, Padump sound (sorry I don't know how to spell a Lister exhaust sound).

Ahhh memories! I used JBWeld to reshape the seals on my aluminum block Jimmies. Perfect repairs.

In the 1980's fresh out of school I lived on an old Harker's snapper boat in Shem Creek , Charleston SC harbor. All around were shrimp boats. They had a big gennie for hydraulics and refrigeration, but many had a one-lung Lister air cooled "light plant" that powered the little loads (like the window AC unit in bunk room) when the big gennie was not needed. They let that light plant run all night. Sound of those is burned into my mind as I had to sleep with it. They had to log a zillion hours. The boys knew I could fix engines, but they never called me out to fix the Listers!!

Those kids in the vid above absolutely NAILED the sound!!

In the 1980's fresh out of school I lived on an old Harker's snapper boat in Shem Creek , Charleston SC harbor. All around were shrimp boats. They had a big gennie for hydraulics and refrigeration, but many had a one-lung Lister air cooled "light plant" that powered the little loads (like the window AC unit in bunk room) when the big gennie was not needed. They let that light plant run all night. Sound of those is burned into my mind as I had to sleep with it. They had to log a zillion hours. The boys knew I could fix engines, but they never called me out to fix the Listers!!

Those kids in the vid above absolutely NAILED the sound!!

Draggers I ran up here in the frozen north used Listers as backup hydraulic engines that frequently lived in the lazarette so they ended up looking like lumps of rust but they still started, we seldom had a desire for air conditioning.

12/2 Listeroid diesel for back up power

I have a 12/2 Listeroid in the cellar of the house for backup power. Those kids nailed the sound.

12 HP at 650 RPMs driving a 15 KW ST generator. engine only produces about 6500kw though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom