First post: Trying to navigate the navigation hardware/software maze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After fighting with the vagaries of different software systems, I use a simple navionics on an iPad platform. It is simple, intuitive, portable. The only caution is that the system is power hungry at least compared with a simple iPad. So you need a way to recharge at the helm station.
PS: My son, who is a pilot and flies fires uses an iPad with ForeFlight software. It is easier than the high priced Garmin systems.
My 2 cents: Go with what is in there, learn the boat, meanwhile use an iPad with Navionics

The Garmin was $11,500 US dollars to install in the helicopter, ForeFlight on the iPad was 10x better, faster and had more information at 10% of the cost, but It was not certified

We carry paper charts, and I guess that is the prudent thing to do, but to be honest, with a main system, plus a couple of backups dealing with paper is probably a waste of space, money and time.

Wifey B: We print our own paper charts if desired but never desire. Last time we did print some was on our cruise to Montreal and back and we printed them so our niece could mark on them, with assistance, where we'd been each day. She just did that at the end of the day to show kids in day care when she got back home. During the day though she loved to look at the plotter as it and radar fascinated her. She was 4 years old at the time. She's already boating crazy. :)

Maybe others mentioned it.. but make sure you have an autopilot… having it interfaced to the nav system/chart plotter is a very nice thing... you are looking at having lots of redundancy in nav equipment... would be much more complex to have the auto pilot interfaced to your backup nav systems..

Turns out I live close to you and recently purchased a boat that has done most of your dream save the Galapagos and Europe. All nave was done with a laptop, rose point coastal explorer software, $300 and an integrated autopilot. As you’re already aware, no need to concern yourself with this yet but keep up the research.

We are in a similar but a few steps behind you. We live in Langley, just down the road. There are very few boats that fit your ( and our) criteria completely.

You will make mistakes out there and the boat has to be able to overcome. Good to see you are looking in the right area. If Jeff is your guy, he can help a lot.
We decided against metal as a first choice as they tend to be one off in the range we looked at. I was concerned they were not fully ocean tested. You buy a Selene, Nordhavn or the like, you know they will go the distance safely and take way more abuse than you can.
My 2¢ is to make lists as had been said before, got to have, nice to have, deal breakers. Once you get the boat you want and get some miles in it, the electronics piece will fall into place. You will be astounded at how much a simple iPad and a few apps can do compared to “marine electronics” only a few years old.
You should have a look at the Nordhavn Dreamers site. There is a lot of knowledge there and not just dreamers but a lot of expirenced owners as well.
Good luck

Thanks, neighbour. We'd prefer all-metal construction, and since we'll be buying used, any boat we buy will have been fully ocean tested. As long as it passes a thorough and complete survey (which it will, or we'll walk away), I don't think custom or semi-custom is a worry.

You're right, I probably will be astounded at the capabilities of an iPad or similar. It's on our tentative wish list. Latest and greatest isn't.

I'd stay away from plotter systems that require proprietary charts. USA charts are free to download. Maybe start with OpenCPN, a free to download, computer based charting system.

I use a laptop for portability, but have a main computer with a large monitor for overall navigation. The nice thing about a computer based system is you can work at home, plan your routes and later transfer them to the onboard system or carry your laptop.

Boat shows are pushy salespeople trying to sell you things you may not need. They'll sell you a lake boat for ocean use if they can. And the salespeople will load you up with bells and whistles you'll never use. Last week they might have been selling used cars.

Local electronics dealers are salespeople or technicians first, not experienced captains or navigators. Generally, I've found dealers that service commercial boats more reliable and knowledgeable than those that primarily service yachts.

I find it incredible that proprietary charts—and charts that can't be backed up at will & as necessary—aren't outlawed. People's lives are at stake! If national governments won't put a stop to this dangerous (but profitable) idiocy, I wish some international body like SOLAS would. You'd think it would be well within their power...but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as possible, we intend to avoid closed, proprietary systems. I've already downloaded Open CPN and played with it a bit, and several forum members have said nice things about Coastal Explorer. A laptop/desktop/iPad combination is probably in our future, all right.

After fighting with the vagaries of different software systems, I use a simple navionics on an iPad platform. It is simple, intuitive, portable. The only caution is that the system is power hungry at least compared with a simple iPad. So you need a way to recharge at the helm station.
PS: My son, who is a pilot and flies fires uses an iPad with ForeFlight software. It is easier than the high priced Garmin systems.
My 2 cents: Go with what is in there, learn the boat, meanwhile use an iPad with Navionics

Intuitive and portable is good! I'll definitely check it out, but as you say, the first thing to do is to go with what's in there and learn the boat.

The Garmin was $11,500 US dollars to install in the helicopter, ForeFlight on the iPad was 10x better, faster and had more information at 10% of the cost, but It was not certified

At least certification isn't a concern with pleasure craft nav systems, though it probably should be.

Wifey B: We print our own paper charts if desired but never desire. Last time we did print some was on our cruise to Montreal and back and we printed them so our niece could mark on them, with assistance, where we'd been each day. She just did that at the end of the day to show kids in day care when she got back home. During the day though she loved to look at the plotter as it and radar fascinated her. She was 4 years old at the time. She's already boating crazy. :)

Ah, but I really enjoy looking at maps, charts, atlases etc. Besides, Canadian law requires paper charts for any area we'll be cruising in.

Fwiw, I spent most of my working years as a surveyor, which involves a great deal of poring over 'charts' (survey plans) that don't always agree, along with a great deal of angle and distance measurement, usually to tolerances of millimetres rather than fathoms...though never, I admit, from a moving platform. Guess I'll find out whether my survey background gives me a head start or not (gulp).

Welcome to a life style. It's the best. One comment after reading the above. Have a talk, with Rosepoint. They are a electronic navigation company. The ideas and information keeps coming. See ya around.

Thanks, dboater, maybe our paths will cross some day...and Rose Point's Coastal Explorer is definitely on my list.

Hmm, I just spotted this recent post:

I've been using Navionics on my Ipad since early October, from New Jersey to Palm Coast Florida down the waterway. Love it. Much better than My Garmins. It was flawless until I got a message stating that I would no longer receive updates unless I took the appropriate action, which I did on December 28th. (I assume this is related to Garmin buying Navionics). With that update and another one since, the auto route function no longer works properly. It will draw a curvy blue line sometimes, then will jump straight across land with a dotted red line. And many other glitches. This is Version 13.2. Anybody else have problems since the mandatory change?

Makes me think twice about Navionics. With the Garmin buyout, portability may be a thing of the past, if it isn't already.

Last edited:
I agree with the often mentioned "use what came with the boat" for a while before you replace it.
I also agree with the need for a good auto-pilot

I had mid 2000 vintage Raymarine stuff--I kept it and it actually became my backup system
I primarily used Coastal Explorer on a laptop for navigation.

Also I would highly recommend you consider a Flotilla type trip for your first few weeks of your trip north. Here is one I really recommend--learn a lot:
Slowboat

Turns out I live close to you and recently purchased a boat that has done most of your dream save the Galapagos and Europe. All nave was done with a laptop, rose point coastal explorer software, $300 and an integrated autopilot. As you’re already aware, no need to concern yourself with this yet but keep up the research.

Good to have a boat that you know can do the job! One boat we've been eyeballing—a semi-custom steel 56-footer—has crossed the Atlantic 4 times without problems, and survived a hard grounding with only minor damage. That's the kind of assurance no underwriter can provide.

[ edit/afterthought: I just did a double take on the name of your boat. Very clever.:socool:]

I agree with the often mentioned "use what came with the boat" for a while before you replace it.
I also agree with the need for a good auto-pilot

I had mid 2000 vintage Raymarine stuff--I kept it and it actually became my backup system
I primarily used Coastal Explorer on a laptop for navigation.

Also I would highly recommend you consider a Flotilla type trip for your first few weeks of your trip north. Here is one I really recommend--learn a lot:
Slowboat

Most of the time it will be just me and my wife running the boat, so yes, an autopilot is an absolute necessity. And if there's no backup for the autopilot, we'll install one.

A flotilla cruise might not be a bad idea, at least while we're in our cruising infancy. We're already subscribed to the slowboat.com YouTube channel and have watched all their instructional videos at least once. I agree they're good. Been a while since they uploaded anything.

Last edited:
T

Ah, but I really enjoy looking at maps, charts, atlases etc. Besides, Canadian law requires paper charts for any area we'll be cruising in.

Wifey B: Our last trip to Canada, we were ECDIS equipped so not required but still Aurora had her printed copies to draw on. :)

Other trips we've had but not used the official Canadian charts. :)

"Guess I'll find out whether my survey background gives me a head start or not (gulp)."

A cheap plastic sextant would be ideal for navigation to use angles to objects to locate your position.

And a nice set of binoculars with a compass will also be of great use.

A hand held GPS would be backup , and dink emergency grab bag item..

Six years ago, we were in the same position you find yourself. The common advice many are giving is to work with the equipment that comes with the vessel. I agree with that. I still have all the equipment that came with our boat, with the exception of computer and monitor with Coastal Explorer. I replaced it with a NUC, Nemo Gateway, and a replacement monitor as the other one was toast. And yes, I still use Coastal Explorer. If something should happen to the computer, I can swap with my laptop, and only need to connect an Ethernet cable for the same functionality.

The Nemo Gateway is a compatible, affordable and useful addition to most vessels, but you need to understand what it brings to your network before you install one.

My radar is a Furuno 1942 48” open array, circa 1999. The existing magnetron is compatible with the new Furuno units. I had thought of replacing the CRT with a Furuno LED unit with ARPA would be an option, but frankly the current unit works just fine. IMO, a good radar is a critical component in my electronics suit. All the other stuff is working fine.

Touch screens? Not something I want. I have an iPad and used it extensively when we chartered early on, so am familiar with touch screens. Personally, I much prefer using a mouse or a track ball. And Marine touch screens cost a fortune.

As you work with your existing equipment, stay in the Gulf Islands and perhaps Desolation Sound until you are ready for more challenging areas.

Jim

Last edited:
I’ve searched the forum and managed to find a few mentions of the ForeFlight aviation app being used. I’m a pilot and am amazed that nothing like this app is available for the marine industry. I’ve been in contact with the FF support team and have found that it is possible to load NOAA charts into the app. It’s just gonna take someone more tech savvy than me to teach me how. Anyone here done this? Something about a third party software to convert RNCs to MBtiles and then emailing them to yourself.

If you’re not familiar with ForeFlight, it’s an amazing piece of software. So much so that I rarely see a corporate pilot without it. It’s a common sight to see pilots exit multi million dollar jets with hundreds of thousands of dollars in nav equipment carrying their iPads and using ForeFlight. You can get real time weather at Almost any airport, even your local county Airstrip used by the crop dusters. There looks to be an airport about every 10 to 20 miles up and down the ICW. Route planning is as simple as touching the screen to set a waypoint. Poke with two fingers and a plotter with scale appears. COG, SOG, ETE (dest or next wp) and a host of other info is conveniently displayed. You could even use the pitch and roll info if you were so inclined. And all that is just on the map careen!

Just need those NOAA charts! They have a sample of the Los Angeles chart and it’s pretty impressive. So, any help out there?

I’ve searched the forum and managed to find a few mentions of the ForeFlight aviation app being used. I’m a pilot and am amazed that nothing like this app is available for the marine industry. I’ve been in contact with the FF support team and have found that it is possible to load NOAA charts into the app. It’s just gonna take someone more tech savvy than me to teach me how. Anyone here done this? Something about a third party software to convert RNCs to MBtiles and then emailing them to yourself.

If you’re not familiar with ForeFlight, it’s an amazing piece of software. So much so that I rarely see a corporate pilot without it. It’s a common sight to see pilots exit multi million dollar jets with hundreds of thousands of dollars in nav equipment carrying their iPads and using ForeFlight. You can get real time weather at Almost any airport, even your local county Airstrip used by the crop dusters. There looks to be an airport about every 10 to 20 miles up and down the ICW. Route planning is as simple as touching the screen to set a waypoint. Poke with two fingers and a plotter with scale appears. COG, SOG, ETE (dest or next wp) and a host of other info is conveniently displayed. You could even use the pitch and roll info if you were so inclined. And all that is just on the map careen!

Just need those NOAA charts! They have a sample of the Los Angeles chart and it’s pretty impressive. So, any help out there?

Why bother? There are several marine-specific apps available for tablets now... cheap apps, cheap charts, no pain involved learning how to force square charts into a round tablet... Solve your issue in a 1 minute installation, 1 minute chart download, all good.

Maybe compare with ForeFlight, find a few FF features not available, so what?

-Chris

Why bother?

Because I haven't found a marine specific app that even comes close. I'd be most grateful for a suggestion...

Well, haven't seen FF and not a pilot, so I dunno that I can compare well...

But we've used some combo of Aqua Map, iSailor, and TimeZero, and they're all pretty decent. We've also used Plan2Nav, recently superceded by Embark; haven't messed with the latter all that much, but P2N was decent.

Our TimeZero is on a laptop, but they do a iThing version. We chose this one because it's almost an exact mirror of our plotter. Four different chart sources...

So far, I haven't ever come across something I can't do in all those... although that's not to say I'm a power user of any of 'em. I know HOW to be a power user, just usually can't be bothered.

Lots of folks like OpenCPN too. Haven't used that, but only because I don't like doing computer science projects any more...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom