View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #29
Blind Owl
Veteran Member

City: Abbotsford BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
I'll chime in-- Not a PNW cruiser, but veteran of 10 yrs full time cruising & 38K nm, so I possess bonafides. A quick cliche on all this is 'you don't know what you don't know'. But it's true. You won't know what works best for you until you get out there and get some experience, applies to selection of the boat as well as the electronics. You'll have your own style of cruising, it would be a shame to invest time and coin in the latest and greatest only to discover that it doesn't work well for your style. I'm a big believer in the list- must haves, wanna's, nice, and deal breakers. Establish the list, then apply it to each boat you consider. If you can charter, that'll be a HUGE help in focusing your list. TrawlerFest or other trawler crawl events are immensely helpful, you learn from the folks using the boat, they're generally forthcoming about what they love and what's not to love on their boat. As others have noted, brokers and reps can offer input, but know that it's biased and of limited value. There's a PNW Selene rendezvous coming up, go to the Selene owner's site http://www.seleneowners.org/home.php and check for dates. They're a pretty good bunch, and generally really like their vessels.

Good luck in the hunt!
Thanks! We've been accumulating lists as we go, and of course they keep getting longer and longer. Latest and greatest isn't even on our 'wish' list, never mind the 'must have'.

This week we'll be spending two days at the Seattle Boat Show, where we'll have a chance to eyeball at least one Selene and perhaps talk to some owners. Nice-looking boats, although they're probably out of our snack bracket.

By the time we head home we'll have soaked up a lot of info, found answers to at least some of our questions, and (no doubt) discovered lots of new points to ponder.