View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
MOJO

City: Florida
We have them on MOJO and use them anytime the boat is rolling. They work great. Easy to launch, just push the poles out, run the down wire back to the flopper stoppers which are stored on brackets on the aft rail, shackle it on, slow the boat down and drop each bird overboard. They go to work immediately and are somewhat fascinating to watch! Ours hang 16' down, but when underway are probably running about 12' under the surface. Retrieval is by stopping the boat, pulling the poles up to near vertical then hauling each bird up over the rail and walking it back to it's storage bracket. What would I do differently? I'd rig a way to raise each bird out of the water (probably with a small winch) while the poles are fully extended, and have some sort of bracket a the top of the pole to hold the bird so it wouldn't bang around on the pole. This would make it faster to get the birds up, and also allow me to bring the poles vertical with the bird up at the top. I could then lower the birds down and store them at my convenience. This is not something difficult to rig, just one of those "round tuits". We don't do much offshore cruising anymore so it hasn't bubbled to the top of my priority list yet. You can see pictures of the A-frame rig, the birds and their storage braclets on our web site, www.mvmojo.com on the exterior tour page.
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote