Gotta love those PO's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our 86 MT 34 (Diligent) passed a survey with flying colors (and shouldn’t have) our first trip was delivery run to Rockland ME from Portsmouth NH. My son, an audio engineer, always has a pen like AC electrical sniffer in his pocket to test speakers on stage. Just as we were about to leave he checked the boat speakers (metal cases 3 pair) they all rang hot for 110v, so did the faucet and taps in the galley!!!, ???.

We were unplugged and ready to cruise. The PO kept the boat on a mooring, and used it infrequently, his major brand inverter had been self installed and when on backfed 110 through poor grounds.

I rewired (every inch, 2-40 gal trash cans. We have 1, 110 outlet forward cabin, for tools only at the doc, no genset no inverter. Releying on 12 v only, we can lie a anchor in the fog for for 2 weeks of quiet comfort.

And in my eyes, in a few years after you sell the boat....some guy will write the #%÷^€(*@×$ PO rewired the boat and I can't believe he only put in ONE flipping 110V outlet.

While you dont need any more, and I think mostly 12V boats are great....I think most do not....so our decisions still will get bashed, even if your new ele trical system is up to ABYC standards.

"And in my eyes, in a few years after you sell the boat....some guy will write the #%÷^€(*@×$ PO rewired the boat and I can't believe he only put in ONE flipping 110V outlet."

The eventual sale should be to a cruiser , that does not use 120v , as it is so seldom available.

The folks preferring dock queens will easily find the boat of their dreams , dockside, plugged in.

"And in my eyes, in a few years after you sell the boat....some guy will write the #%÷^€(*@×$ PO rewired the boat and I can't believe he only put in ONE flipping 110V outlet."

The eventual sale should be to a cruiser , that does not use 120v , as it is so seldom available.

The folks preferring dock queens will easily find the boat of their dreams , dockside, plugged in.

True FF, but the vast majority of boats are at the dock long enough that one outlet is not the norm.

My point was... there are really dumb and dangerous things done by POs, then there are others that are not necessarily all top drawer mods that others make fun of yet others make fun of them too.

Last edited:
Cheers to makobuilder

I worked in boat yards through out the 80’s independent, well paid and skilled from carpentry to electronics installs. Then I spent 30 years in hi tech. By 2010 when I bought diligent l figured it would be a cake walk for me to restore.

The first time I walked into a marine supply shop was a shocker, I tried to buy resourcinal ( too toxic to be legal and 3 rd rate compared to current adhesives) the wiring standards and techniques are light years ahead of what I knew. I had to relearn everything except the carpentry.

Web sources like compass marine and panbo provide great current training sources, even revered expert books are out of date. Some of the earlier work I did was simply wrong by current standards. Doing it yourself well requires a commitment to high standards, and you can do it right or cheap, not both.

Anyone can do it badly, they likely don’t know that they are, “ it seemed to work!”

There are variations in "right" as even the high standards of practice recommended d by ABYC recognize that maintaining old boats to new standards is not always practical .

Too true Mr Psneed

Particularly on an older cruiser the key standard is your own taste (imho) and preference, modified by meeting saftey standards. The depreciation is complete it’s a matter of matching preferences with a buyer.

if you want a gen set / that’s a big ding against my boat, twin engines ditto, bow thruster also.

However all wiring to current ABYC standards; new heads-hoses-tanks-vents (thank you Peggy); propane-stove oven-sniffer; fuel tanks thanks PO) engine gauge sets and wireing harnesss; ground tackle-windless-chain-lines; electronics (you get the idea)

If I sell it in a couple of years I won’t come near the money in but I’ll have had My boat.

Back
Top Bottom