My dometic is possessed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
Unit works fine, but this controller is possessed. We can turn it on and set the temp and it will cool or heat accordingly, however it will switch from auto to one of the 6 speeds by itself. Go in, turn it off and back on, set to auto, and the. A little while later it will go back to cycling through the 6 speeds.

I’ve taken it off the wall and unplugged the controller and plugged it back in to try and reset the programming but still nothing.

Anyone ever have this happen? Does anyone have a manual?

Attachments

• 968BCD93-FFAA-4616-B364-B55F465D604C.jpg
    968BCD93-FFAA-4616-B364-B55F465D604C.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
If you have the fan set to auto the fan speeds will change depending on temperature demand.

I have a similar problem and I have finally tracked the cause down to a single repeatable event.

Don’t laugh at this. Every time I hit the up button on my TV remote my dometic controller turns on the air conditioning. No other key affects the controller and I am unaware of a remote control option. I first clued into this when I noticed my controller momentarily getting brighter every time I pushed a button on my TVRemote.

If you have the fan set to auto the fan speeds will change depending on temperature demand.

It should never down that before though. It would either cool or heat accordingly and then shut off. Whatever is making the fan run is new.

I have a similar problem and I have finally tracked the cause down to a single repeatable event.

Don’t laugh at this. Every time I hit the up button on my TV remote my dometic controller turns on the air conditioning. No other key affects the controller and I am unaware of a remote control option. I first clued into this when I noticed my controller momentarily getting brighter every time I pushed a button on my TVRemote.

How does it do that if the ac pad doesn’t have an infrared sensor?

Try calling this guy who was VeRY knowledgeable with an old system. I think he is a former Marineair guy

Mark Bower
Service Technician

Phone (954) 366-2778
mark.bower@dometic.com

Dometic North America, 2000 N. Andrews Ave, 33069 Pompano Beach, FL

try changing the setting for fan speed -there is one setting where the fan automatically starts high & then gradually slows vs, starting slow and ramping up. I had one Marine Air unit where the fan was doing weird things. After I changed the fan ramp up/down settings, it performed normally again, event though I ended up back at the original setting

That's pretty bizarre, TR!

Wish I knew, but like I said, I can repeat the event at will.

unplug the TV and repeat the experiment. I tend to think the issue is the TV, not the remote, but stranger things have happened.

ps: the last digital Marinerrr controller I was near, had an emission in the VHF comm band, on just one or two freqs.

Last edited:
Try calling this guy who was VeRY knowledgeable with an old system. I think he is a former Marineair guy

Mark Bower
Service Technician

Phone (954) 366-2778
mark.bower@dometic.com

Dometic North America, 2000 N. Andrews Ave, 33069 Pompano Beach, FL

Oh man! Thanks for the info. I called and talked to Mark and he helped me diagnose it over the phone. Turns out my fan button is shorting out!

When reprograming your control there is one very important item, #16 I think, as to the type of fan motor. Old style Shaded pole ( like a soup can attached to the unit) or new style Split capacitor (no soup can) needs to be entered when programing.

Oh man! Thanks for the info. I called and talked to Mark and he helped me diagnose it over the phone. Turns out my fan button is shorting out!

I’m glad yours was easy! Mine ended up being a system replacement but he also gave pre sale and installation advice as well which guided me to make the right decision as well.

I went to the dometic booth at the boat show today. Asked if the controller for my AC had a remote feature. They looked at me funny. Then one of the tech reps mentioned that they had designed in IF capabilities but never released a remote. I explained my TV remote reprogramming the AC. The tec laughed, said to take a very bright flash light to the controller, that I would find a small dot under the display and to cover the dot with electrical tape. Just did that and now my problem is solved.

I went to the dometic booth at the boat show today. Asked if the controller for my AC had a remote feature. They looked at me funny. Then one of the tech reps mentioned that they had designed in IF capabilities but never released a remote. I explained my TV remote reprogramming the AC. The tec laughed, said to take a very bright flash light to the controller, that I would find a small dot under the display and to cover the dot with electrical tape. Just did that and now my problem is solved.

Seriously, dude? :rofl: I foresee one day being able to win a bar bet at a dockside tiki hut on this one.

Glad it's resolved.

J

Back
Top Bottom