View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #19
boatpoker
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
A problem with moisture meters is they are very easy to misinterpret. The industry is notorious for erroneously condemning hulls on survey for moisture. That is why I say you must learn how to read it. I played with the meter for a few hours using various thicknesses of fiberglass panel with different with different wet substrates on the far side to see how it worked. I decided it is accurate, but requires knowledge on how and what fools it.

With wet foam core that is still adhered, and not delaminated, drying is it preferable to removing and relaminating in my opinion and also that of a couple of high end custom builders that I know. If it is delaminated for some reason (moisture by itself should not do that on a properly built boat) then de-skinning and replacement are called for. On a wood core there are many more variables, but I'd lean more towards replacement.

Removing water is one issue, Ensuring the skin is still bonded to the core is another. Thermal imaging, pulling 3" core plug or finding a surveyor with years of experience and a little brass hammer are the only ways I can think of that would be effective for that.

I agree, sometimes moisture meters tell lies. I have some explanation of these meters (lots of photos) and a few examples of Thermal images on cored structure in ....
Moisture Meter Mythology.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote