View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #18
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post
Our boat (50' aluminium power cat. 16' BOA), range with internal tanks about 2000nm, range with additional tanks that are already available about 3800nm, all at 6kn. Boat came across from Europe about 15 years ago - would that make it an attempt at a "great A-loop"?
Ok, keep in mind that this is only opinion and may not be the one you like. The fact that boat made the trip over 15 years ago, doesn't give me any comfort crossing in it today. I've never been on the specific boat you own, but a 50' Catamaran is not something I'd personally cross on. However, I wouldn't cross in boats many have done so in. I'd ship it, as much as I want to cross myself.

Now, beyond that. I'd take the popular Bermuda to Azores route. That gives you the longest crossing of about 1900 nm. That brings the weather forecasts and planning into vision. At 6 knots, that's basically two weeks time. The longer that time, the more you're subject to major changes in conditions and forecasts. At 3 to 4 days they've become extremely dependable. At a week, a little less so. As you approach two weeks, the swings in conditions can be substantial so you try to hit the best you can but have to be prepared for the worst. As Richard said, chasing weather isn't practical at 6 knots.

Now, that brings us to fuel. You have a relatively light boat for crossing oceans at approximately 36,000 pounds if my numbers are right. It weighs less than Richard's 42' KK with that weight spread over a much larger area. Look carefully at how much additional fuel you add. How much fuel does it have for the 2000 nm? Surely not just 264 gallons as some were sold with so that means already additional fuel weight and when you start doubling that, you can change how the boat sits in the water and handles different conditions dramatically.

Best of luck if you do this.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote