View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
firehoser75
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Radio Antennas

I posted a few weeks ago regarding a VHF background hum when transmitting. I have done some experimenting and have decided to replace my VHF antenna and cabling. The antenna I am considering will go on a 4 foot extension, so it should transmit above the GPS antenna and hopefully miss interfering with it. I am debating adding a second VHF radio to replace my remote mike that has a badly deteriorating exterior wire, as a new mike is almost as expensive as a new radio.
My question relates to antennas.
I am assuming that the 2 VHF radios cannot share one antenna (even if only one will transmit at a time). Shakespeare sells a splitter that allows one antenna to be used for both VHF and AM/FM radio. They also sell an antenna that comes with 2 separate cables that is used for the same purpose (VHF and AM/FM). Anyone out there used either of these or know anything about them?
I am also considering adding AIS in the future, and have been told it is best to use a separate antenna for that. Currently I have 4 antennas on the roof of my pilothouse (VHF, GPS, CB radio, and AM/FM radio). Each antenna is about 8 feet apart horizontally, and I don't want to add to the number of antennas. The three antennas (non GPS) are all Shakespeare (8 foot long) and one of them is labelled with a model number (which I searched and it turns out to be for CB). I am willing to lose the CB if that cannot be avoided.
What is the best (or at least workable) solution to my antenna needs (wants)? Funds are not unlimited (who has that ) so a lot to consider.
Thanks for your comments and suggestions,
Tom