Putting Numbers on Hypalon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldersalt

Vessel Name
Pacific Star
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
I have an Avon Rover Hypalon dinghy which I finally had to register with the state because I got a motor for it.
It spends most of the time folded up in its bag in my garage, but gets out a few times a year to hang off the transom for a week or three.
So, what's the best way to affix the registration numbers---stick-on letters? Paint (if so, is there a special paint to use?)? Letters on a separate little board with ties? Other methods?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Oldersalt
"Every think on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet.

I’d go with the registration numbers on a board. When we had a roll up, things didn’t want to stay attached.

Separate number boards are apparently no longer allowed here in MD, for what that's worth. Dunno if other places are like that.

Our dinghy dealer put our numbers on our hypalon dingy. In 2009. Still doing fine. Not paint. Dunno what the magic is, Older, but maybe a local dealer can solve that for you.

-Chris

Michigan says the numbers must be permanently attached. The detachable number boards are not legal. Will LE give you a ticket? Maybe, maybe not, just depends on the particular officer.

I use superglue on hypalon numbers. But, I will admit, there have been several touchups of glue over the years. There is enough snorkeler/diver traffic to make hard things undesirable.

The year before last our dog pretty much shredded our numbers (and reg) hanging over the bow of the dinghy. A the start of last year I painted a rectangle on the dinghy using hypalon paint, then painted on the numbers in black using stencils. It was a right royal mess.
So this fall I green padded off the paint, cleaned the whole dinghy with acetone, then painted a new rectangle with hypalon paint. Then stuck on the numbers. Looks much better, and we will see how it holds during on the upcoming three month cruise.

I used a good quality permanent marker. They've lasted 5 years so far.

Sharpie or magic marker

I have an Avon Rover Hypalon dinghy which I finally had to register with the state because I got a motor for it.

It spends most of the time folded up in its bag in my garage, but gets out a few times a year to hang off the transom for a week or three.

So, what's the best way to affix the registration numbers---stick-on letters? Paint (if so, is there a special paint to use?)? Letters on a separate little board with ties? Other methods?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Oldersalt

"Every think on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet.

https://www.boatnumberplate.com/

These guys make it easy for you. Give them your reg number and they make up a number plaque of the same material (hypalon or pvc) as the dink. You get the proper glue, follow the instructions about scrupulous prep of the glue surfaces, and it's on there for ever.

43918282122_a202538eb6_b.jpg

It may have been Practical Sailor or someone who noted in an article that inflatables with permanently-attached registration numbers are stolen far less often than unregistered dinghies or those with numbers that are easily removed.

Last edited:
I used lexan panels from Tap Plastics and stick-on digits from Amazon. Well under $50.

Attachments

• dink floating.jpg
    dink floating.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 70
I no longer have an inflatable but when I had mine I painted the numbers on with Lobster buoy paint, it's designed to stay on flexible plastics and lasted a long time even with roll ups and touch up was fairly simple. I've used the same paint on the poly ball on my mooring and it stood up well.

I used mylar letters and numbers you can get from most print shops. So far rolling up for storage has not damaged the numbers.

I used mylar letters and numbers you can get from most print shops. So far rolling up for storage has not damaged the numbers.

What adhesive did you use?

I used vinyl letters/numbers. Get a quality outdoor rated vinyl in the thinnest vinyl available. Most sign shops cut vinyl and can make up you numbers for you for a reasonable price. I have my own vinyl cutter so made my own. So far they have lasted 12 years on my hypalon inflatable.

I had my RIB re-tubed at Inflatable Experts in Annapolis. They use a neoprene self-adhesive number. They hold up very well, no problem with adhesion.

I use a paint pen. Requires 2 or 3 minutes worth of touch up every couple of years. Name (Tweak) is put on that way also.

Hypalon paint. My RIB has been folded many times numbers remain intact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom