Uscg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugardog

Is anyone interested in starting a fund drive for our Coast Guard Friends that donnie decided not o pay? They are always there when we need help. Maybe an ongoing group that could use our support to help CG families in need?

I have the utmost respect for the USCG and appreciate their service but I don't think missing one paycheck requires donations. Hopefully most of them have savings (typical recommendation is to have six months savings) and there is a bill in process so they don't miss their next pay check. They will get their pay in the end, it is not lost. I think there are many other causes out there that, some dire in circumstance, with no hope or expectation of a future pay check or help. I think in general most are being supportive of them and offering leniency in missed payments, offering free food, no interest loans, etc

Last edited:
I am aware that Sea West, Coast Guard FCU is offering 0 pct loans/advances to members who are bearing the brunt. I'd expect there are others who are doing the same.

PS - My understanding is that the bill in place will get them back pay when this is resolved. They may, in fact, miss more than 1 check depending.....

Last edited:
Obviously I disagree with mystery, a USCG seaman’s pay with a spouse and two children is below the FPL. Some families have a hard time making ends meet on a regular day WITH a paycheck. I also have my own charities, but I think I’ll find one today to help them out. I just thought this would be a good place to post.

Well, I see not much empathy here. I guess this was the wrong place, and the wrong place for me. I’ll be deleting myself from this forum.

I plan to support the retired USCG at our TF rendezvous with the adult beverages of his choice. :thumb:

Ted

Obviously I disagree with mystery, a USCG seaman’s pay with a spouse and two children is below the FPL. Some families have a hard time making ends meet on a regular day WITH a paycheck. I also have my own charities, but I think I’ll find one today to help them out. I just thought this would be a good place to post.

Might I suggest this Official CG one....

https://cgmahq.org/assistance/applying.html

I don't think its a lack of empathy so much as recognizing that they are going to be taken care of, paid, as soon as they can. Also please note - there is only one offer on the table....

In our area, local communities and other charities have reached out to help the CG crews. I think overall, boaters and the community at large have a lot of respect for the CG and they've had a lot of support. It's pretty consistent on this forum, too. One or two may have had bad experiences, but I don't really think there's every any animosity.

At the closest station to me, a couple of groups joined together and are buying $20 gift cards for groceries and gas. Government rules prohibit gifts greater than that amount.

You can also donate to the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance program, which is also offering to help.

Sugar, A bad situation for sure, no one will argue that. I support the following: Make A Wish (my wife is on their Board of Directors), Red Cross, Feed the Children, NRDC, Nature Conservancy, and about 5 more charities. Can I count on your support for one of these?

Sugar, A bad situation for sure, no one will argue that. I support the following: Make A Wish (my wife is on their Board of Directors), Red Cross, Feed the Children, NRDC, Nature Conservancy, and about 5 more charities. Can I count on your support for one of these?

Wifey B: Your point is so well made. I see people often criticize others for not giving to X or Y or Z when that person may be quite charitable in giving to others. We've been criticized before when we said "no."

CG is like others with many living paycheck to paycheck and landlords generally don't care. We don't know the finances of others or what they're facing. Plenty of people suffering right now and fortunately some individuals and businesses responding to help where they can. Personally, no gofundme for me but if I'm aware of and able to help someone personally I will.

Just don't be blind to the plight of others you'd never suspect have problems. :)

Well, I see not much empathy here. I guess this was the wrong place, and the wrong place for me. I’ll be deleting myself from this forum.

They got theirs and who cares about the rest, there's evidence of this in a number of threads. I've been discouraged a few times on here as well but you shouldn't let a few jacka$$es chase you off, I think what you proposed was a decent and considerate gesture.

Also use Charity Navigator to find out if your donations are going to the troops or.......

Also use Charity Navigator to find out if your donations are going to the troops or.......

excellent advice, to do due diligence

some orgs have ridiculous administrative fees or don't know how to manage $$

its a shame

I got a call a couple of weeks ago asking for support for our first responders. As always I asked what percentage of funds raised actually go to the men and women.

Usually the answer is "I don't know." To which I reply, "then please call me back when you do know." I never get a return call that cycle.

The answer this time; "All of the funds raised go to the cost of fund raising!!"

Bang went the phone!

USCG Mutual Assistance was set up for exactly situations like this. Direct aid to the Coasties and their families. Rated 4 stars out of 4 on Charity Navigator.

Welcome to Coast Guard Mutual Assistance

Open the page and find DONATE in the header.

Last edited:
We are a USCG family. My Daughter in law is a E-6 stationed in Ketchikan Alaska.

When she gets her paychecks, she is EXTREMELY well compensated, making lifestyle money more than for example the professional electrical workers at her local utility just down the street.

Right now she has missed one paycheck, and will probsably miss another. My son and her are simply pulling the equlivent of her paycheck from their short term savings, something any prudent family has. They can go for quite a while, knowing that back pay will be forthcoming.

The younger enlisted who do not have a short term emergency fund are in a more difficult postion. Most lenders are forebearing any loans, and if push comes to shove they can eat at the base. No servicepeople or their families are going hungry. I seriously doubt that anyone is going to be evicted or get anything repossessed unless they were not physically irresponsible prior to the shutdown.

That said, they of course need their pay, and are hoping that this issue gets solved quickly.

Sugardog, I feel that it’s important for me to edit my post and respond to your posts directly.

Regarding the pay of a Seaman, which I am for sake of argument calling a e-2 and e-3. You posted that their pay is below the Federal Poverty Level as someone with a wife and two kids.

What you are indicating is their Base Pay. Every USCG member recieves in addition to their base pay either free housing and meals at the barracs, or a housing and food allowance consumerate with their ranks expected station in life and adjusted for the local market conditions.

With the vast majority or Enlisted USCG members enlisting at age 18-19 and generally reaching a terminal rank of E-4 and some reraching E-5 by the end of their first enlistment contract you are I think intentionally negativly exagerating the reality of USCG life.

My son did wonderfully as a E-4 and E-5 when he was granted permission to live off base. He was rolling in money. When he married another USCG member, another E-4 and they had a child later on they were still doing very well. They both drove new vehicles, and seemed to me to have a very good life.

What you are describing as a E-2 or E-3 supporting a wife and two kids is not the norm, and is based on personal choices the member made with their life. You are describing a very junior USCG member that is saddled with a spouse that does not work, and two children. Sorry, but that is lifestyle choices that the member and their spouse consciously made and I can frankly generate little sympathy for those choices. Especially in light that the vast majority of working families these days are two income families. Having a spouse sit at home and rasise children sounds wonderful, but it in fact is a lifestyle choice, and if money is tight because of that choice, then so be it.

Last edited:
"I’ll be deleting myself from this forum."

You have a very low tolerance for disappointment,
I am surprised boating is a choice as foul weather and foul tides are common.

No one here suggested you NOT give away your currency to whoever you want.

The blatantly political tone of your original posting may well have contributed to the responses that you got.

They got theirs and who cares about the rest, there's evidence of this in a number of threads. I've been discouraged a few times on here as well but you shouldn't let a few jacka$$es chase you off, I think what you proposed was a decent and considerate gesture.

Decent, considerate, compassionate: all admirable traits. However the OP proposed establishing a fund. Not necessary, as there are already gazillions of charitable funds ready to take a donation. Take your pick. Setting up a new fund isn't practical, and would dilute any contributions in the course of managing a new fund.

No need to badmouth those who don't immediately jump on the bandwagon in favor of making their own decision on how to help out. I think the current vernacular for this is virtue signaling. There are plenty of ways to contribute, none of which require a public display to be compassionate. Judge not.

Decent, considerate, compassionate: all admirable traits. However the OP proposed establishing a fund. Not necessary, as there are already gazillions of charitable funds ready to take a donation. Take your pick. Setting up a new fund isn't practical, and would dilute any contributions in the course of managing a new fund.

No need to badmouth those who don't immediately jump on the bandwagon in favor of making their own decision on how to help out. I think the current vernacular for this is virtue signaling. There are plenty of ways to contribute, none of which require a public display to be compassionate. Judge not.

I'm fine with anyone "making their own decisions" what I object to is the treatment some get on here for (god forbid) a poor choice of words when quite plainly their intent was admirable. There appears to be plenty of "experts" on here just not many with a working knowledge of consideration for others. It makes me wonder who's keeping an eye on the flock if discouraging and degrading fellow forum members is an acceptable activity. I came on here a few years ago and I've seen and experienced this behavior far too often in a venue where I would expect it to be unacceptable. I notice it happens much less on sail oriented forums. And now the crickets will chirp or possibly I'll be poked a few times by someone that gets outraged by the implication that manners and consideration are of some utility when dealing with others that may not share their lofty position in the trawler good 'ole boys club. We ain't all wealthy, well educated owners of expensive boats some are just regular working people that want the same thing I assume most do, to enjoy boating and share knowledge and experiences with hopefully like minded people. I see room for a new forum somewhere that's slightly more inclusive. I just can't get the logic behind chasing others away, unless exclusivity is the goal here.

Last edited:
This thread is closed due to several posts which violate Community Rules against trolling and antagonistic posting.

Be Nice, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom