BC Boating Friendly Retirement Communities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WilliamR

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

Looking at options for retirement to boating friendly communities in BC. We have a Nordic Tug 34 based at Point Roberts currently, and thinking of Vancouver Island, or the Sunshine Coast (Secret Cove and Half Moon Bay).

Looked at Saltspring, but the prices there are mad, and building regulations excessive (anyhow don't they wouldn't let me in as I am not new age enough). Other gulf-Islands are still on our radar.

My question is really more regarding availability and affordability of long term moorage. I hear Comox is a non-starter with at least a 3 year wait list. What are peoples thoughts of good places of own a boat with a friendly community where you can actually find moorage?

We need a place that is freely accessible by Ferry for the kids, has some infrastructure (a local library at least). Probably have about $1.5 million CAD to put into property.

Cheers
Bill

Wish I could help with this interesting question. My daughter married one of your lot last year and they since moved to Nanaimo. We visited there via the Sydney ferry from Anacortes but there are other boats that land farther north from Van. I will be interested to see how you fare. Good luck on the search!

Quathiaski Cove or Heriot Bay on Quadra? Cortes Island?

Hi folks,

Looked at Saltspring, but the prices there are mad, and building regulations excessive (anyhow don't they wouldn't let me in as I am not new age enough). Other gulf-Islands are still on our radar.

We need a place that is freely accessible by Ferry for the kids, has some infrastructure (a local library at least). Probably have about $1.5 million CAD to put into property.

Cheers
Bill

Bill
Be careful what you say about Saltspring. We are listening.
Not "New Age" enough? We motor through Ganges on our way south in Nov and returning in April, in our big Motorhome. We pass all those Elizabeth May bumper stickers and smile. Love to get one for the bus.
In your budget are lots of good selections, though not as many as before 2015 influx of foreign wealth. Prices really haven't been pushed up, just a snapping up of most of the "deals" in the lower price ranges. Not much available for the young working family budget.
Los of infrastructure. A permanent community of over 10,000, so good library, grocery stores, hardware stores, etc.
Moorage isn't really a problem, you just need to get to know the place to figure out how to get decent moorage. It exists, priced competitively with Vanc Island.
Ladysmith and Maple Bay are both good possibilities for decent moorage at reasonable rates.
Good ferry access.

Wish I could help with this interesting question. My daughter married one of your lot last year and they since moved to Nanaimo. We visited there via the Sydney ferry from Anacortes but there are other boats that land farther north from Van. I will be interested to see how you fare. Good luck on the search!

Many thanks, be curious what peoples thoughts are on this!
Bill

I hear that! We do like Saltspring Island but as you indicate the current prices cant be doing young working families any favours and I wonder if that is likely to have a knock on effect on infrastructure unless things change?

Will explore the Maple Bay and Ladysmith areas! Many thanks for the ideas.
Bill

Quadra and Cortes could be of interest,. We hadn’t really thought that far north, but would be interested to hear from anyone who has lived/lives there.

Cheers
Bill

Hi WilliamR,
Like you, we are former Point Roberts Marina tenants. Moved to Nanaimo several years ago, as we always liked this port when visiting. Now we live here :)
Moorage is available at Nanaimo Port Authority (as far as I know), we are moored there, and there are other marinas nearby (Stones for example). For example, several in Nanaimo, a few in Ladysmith, Maple Bay has vacancies (for a reason I am told), and some a bit further north. There are 2 ferry terminals near here (Departure Bay and Duke Point) so easy access for visitors. Nanaimo is a great "small town" with many things to offer (small town but not too small IMHO). For $1.5 million, you should be able to buy a good ocean view in Nanaimo!!
If you have specific questions, PM me.
Good luck in your search,
Tom

Hi WilliamR,

Moorage is available at Nanaimo Port Authority (as far as I know), we are moored there, and there are other marinas nearby (Stones for example). For example, several in Nanaimo, a few in Ladysmith, Maple Bay has vacancies (for a reason I am told), and some a bit further north
Tom

Thanks Tom, We will check out Nanaimo! :)

Bernie

I’d also recommend Ladysmith. Friends who are boaters moved there from the lower mainland several years ago and love it. Small town feel but close to the conveniences of Nanaimo.
Checkout the Oak Bay Marine Group marina. No affiliation just a satisfied customer at one of their other facilities.

Back
Top Bottom