2006 Mainship 34T fuel guages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawlerdeejay

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cleo's Barge
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
The fuel gauges in my boat (upper and lower helm) are not working. Both show about 7/8 full tank of fuel even though the tank sight gauge shows less than 1/3 tank of fuel. Since both gauges are reading the same amount of fuel, I assume the problem is in the sender unit on the fuel tank which is not readily available and may mean cutting the cabin floor.

Anyone else have this problem? Resolution?

IF there are two fuel tanks, then swap the senders. If it is the sender, the other tank should now show 7/8 and the current tank should now reflect the proper 1/3 capacity.

As you surmise, the sender is stuck. It has been a long time since I looked but I think it is accessible from a removable hatch in the sole of the lower cabin near the steps. There is a circular cover with about 6 screws you remove to get the cover off and the sender pulls out. Clean it and watch the gauge as you move the float up or down.

David

Both gauges reading at the same time? On my 34T, one must toggle between the two. Might be something else going on.

Do you have two sending units or one? I have seen some MS 's that have one sending unit in one of the two tanks with a cross connected hose for fuel that keeps both tanks at the same level reading off one sending unit. When you say you have two gages are they for two different tanks or two different helms reading one tank?

2006 34T fuel gauges

Thanks for the responses.

This Mainship 34 has only 1 250 gal.fuel tank.

As also mentioned, the fuel sensor only sends signals to 1 fuel gauge at a time. There is a switch at the lower helm that turns on the fuel gauge you want - upper or lower helm - strange design but it is what it is. (All of the other gauges in the instrument cluster work at both stations all the time).

I'll check for an access plate under the steps down to the galley next time I go on the boat.

2006 34T fuel gauges.

David,

Finally got on the boat and was unable to find the round access panel you described. Perhaps it is because this is the 34' trawler and not the 34' pilot.

Anyone else know where an access panel might be?

trawlerdeejay

I knew it was a 34T not my current Pilot 34. I used to own a 34T.

You looked underneath the steps leading down from the main cabin to the galley?

David

On my 34T the compartment under the steps is forward of the fuel tank and separated from it by a bulkhead. No access to the tank from there.

I'd start by pulling the panels in the ER that cover the aft side of the tank to at least see where the sender is and if there is any access.

Was the gauge error ever resolved?

Trawlerdeejay, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I just had the same issue occur (gauge reading about 7/8 when I know the actual fuel is less than 1/3).

Ah, one tank, one sender, two gauges!!!! Mine also has a switch to toggle the fuel gauge between the upper and lower helm, however, I have two fuel tanks, two senders and one fuel gauge at each helm. I have a second switch which toggles between port and Stbd tanks. (Sometimes a few extra details make more sense).

The float on the sender sounds like it's stuck. If this were an electrical issue, I would assume the gauge would either read as Full (shorted circuit) or Empty (dead circuit).

I too had a similar issue with fuel reading. I went to each gauge (lower helm, upper helm) and located the wire connections, pulled them off, cleaned them as lots of corrosion from salt air, reattached them, and voila they both worked again properly. Not saying this will solve your issue...but just eliminating possibilities.

Your fuel guage not working

Trawlerdeejay, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I just had the same issue occur (gauge reading about 7/8 when I know the actual fuel is less than 1/3).

Your issue exactly like mine. Interestingly, the problem simply went away this past summer. Gauges now work top and bottom.

That panel on the port side in the ER says DO NOT REMOVE on my boat. Or maybe NO! Something like that. I would not remove that panel. Just sayin
My gauges "flicker" on and off at times. I was going to clean the contacts.

Our 2009 34T fuel sender is accessible from the engine room. I had to remove the

panel that separates the engine from the fuel tank. There is not very much space between the top of the fuel tank and the ceiling. I was told that the original fuel sender manufacturer was going out of business.

My mechanic installed a "Royce Flexi Sender" Part no. 0110-0510-025 U2584. $184.00

He stated that "Had to buy one and use parts from both to make one working unit, due to part of sender welded into tank".

03 Mainship Pilot 34T fuel gauge

Fuel gauge pins full with power. I have 2 tanks that Y together sensor should be in port tank, but I can’t find it? Not behind galley steps. Any body know? Thanks

Sounds like you have a Pilot 34, the downeaster style not a 34T, the flybridge trawler. I had both, but I don’t know where the fuel sensor is located. If it is like the 34T, it is on the top of one of the tanks. Probably stuck.

David

Yes a downeast style with twin yanmars. 2 tanks Y together. I’ll have to take insulation down to see top of tanks. Problem is I am 6’ 240 not great for small spaces. Supposed to be on port tank. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom