Missing Davit Winding Mechanism puzzle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanisK

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
NightinGayle
Vessel Make
Tradewinds 42
Hi.* Hopefully I can tap into the experience of the forum.

Unfortunately I dont have access to the PO to ask this question.* I have also searched high and low on the web to no avail.* It relates to the davits on Gemma.* I'm in the process of buying a tender and obviously would like to use the davits when I get it.* However it seems that part of the rope winding mechanism is missing.* I'll try to explain.

As you will see in the pictures below each of the davits has a line that extends from the block through the davit exiting at the forward top of the davit to a horizontal pulley wheel.* From there there is nowhere for the line to go yet on each davit there is a winding handle with a thread and captive nut mechanism that when it is turned slowly moves a flat diagonal steel piece back and forth depend on the direction the handle is wound.* the opposite side of each davit has some remaining screws and nuts to which something was once fastened.

Presumably the winder somehow attached to a reel onto which the line wound on and off depending on if the tender was being raised or lowered.* But what mechanism would utilise the handle/captive bolt and flat metal piece to connect to the now missing reel?* As there is also no evidence of any cleats I'm presuming that the missing mechanism had some sort of lock/catch to prevent unintentional release of the line.

Gemma is a 1985 Tradewinds 42 and I'm guessing the davits were likely installed sometime between 1985 and 2006ish.

Any ideas or suggested davit suppliers who may be able to help?*

Thanks

Janis Kinne

Attachments

• davit1.jpg
    davit1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 104
  • davit2.jpg
    davit2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 99
  • davit3.jpg
    davit3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 103
Unless you can find a source for the part your best and quickest bet might be to have the drum or whatever it was fabricated by a local machine shop. The design can either be determined by the mechanism on the davits and some imagination, or perhaps you can get a photo of the same kind of davit with all its parts intact. If it's a one-off custom made davit, then imagination and a machine shop may be your best bet.

I think your horizontal piece with the crank handle is a mechanism to secure the dinghy to keep it from swinging. I believe it clamps the gunnel of the dinghy and holds it solid. The way the movable piece is angled I'm guessing maybe an aluminum Smoker Craft type boat. I can't see that being used on fiberglass unless a mating piece was also mounted to the dinghy.

From the looks of the strongback on the Starboard side, Picture 1, that would be where the winch was mounted. The picture doesn't show enough to hazard a guess as to what type of winch, but it looks like a small electric winch mounted so both lines wound on the same or divided drum would work well.

KEn

If what Ken says is correct, then it may be that the way the dinghy was deployed and recovered by the previous owner was purely manual. The falls visible in the photos use multi-sheave blocks so the mechanical advantage looks pretty good. Carey of this forum deploys and recovers his Bullfrog in this manner and his boat and motor is much heavier than an aluminum skiff would be if that's what the previous owner had.

I agree with the above comments. Before someone backed into my boat and broke one, (and I went over to rubber ducky on its side with the Weaver type), my boat had davits very like yours, and one just pulled the dinghy up, or let it down, with rope and a couple of blocks to give a ratio which made the weight quite manageable, each side. Letting each side down (or raising it) a foot or so at a time & quickly taking a quick wrap round a cleat, coped perfectly well, and was much quicker than winding a handle would be, especially as unless there are two of you doing it, one can't wind two handles at once anyway unless all linked together in a complicated way. I also suspect, like Ken, that piece sticking out with a handle was some sort of dinghy stabilising device - possibly rendered obsolete if the PO went away from a rigid dinghy to an RIB or similar...

I agree with the idea of the clamping device too.

*** I would sure like to see a picture of the entire stern area, same angle as your avitar pic but closer. I don't see what hold the davit arms up. In the lower right hand corner of the middle picture the arm seems to fit into a slotted guide it doesn't look bolted there . I have seen a couple of davits which the arms swing aft and down in an arc the pulleys are only used to attach the dinghy to the arms and level it so the water drains out when it is in place. Those had substantial cross bracing and the entire assembly was pivoted around a lower hinge point on the swim platform or bolted to the transom, there was an electric winch inside the transom which reeled the whole davit assembly up or out, the cable passed from the winch through a small hole in the transom to a pad on a cross bar of the davit assembly. On some the remote operated electric winch is mounted on the davit assembly cross arm and the cable goes from there to a point on the transom. It works well, as they swing aft the dinghy goes out and down letting it clear the swim platform, not the case if it only went straight up and down.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 10:34:11 PM

I agree. The handscrew was defiantly to secure the gunnel of the PO's dingy. The davits look strong enough to hold most anything you would want to hoist up there. If you don't use the handscrews just unbolt them.

-- Edited by Vyndance on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 10:41:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your insightful responses.

In particular Ken's suggestion that the handle is to clamp the tender gunwhale to the stern of Gemma; that would never have occurred to me.

The davits are bolted to the stern so they are not of the hinged variety that Steve refers to. As there is no obvious source of power going to the davits I doubt that there would have been electric mini winches on each or any davit.

The bolts on the side opposite the handle winder pass through the davit to secure the handle/captive nut/clamp device. That leaves only four screws with some remnants of some plastic (looks like maybe some type of plate) that could have been used to secure a cleat. However I would not have thought that they were sufficiently robust or placed appropriately for a cleat. It is also baffling as to the purpose served by the pulley that feeds the line from/into the davit at the top, particularly as the line is fed to the side opposite to where the screws and possible cleat would be.

I hope the photos below make thinks a bit more clear than my attempted description.

Thanks again for your willingness to assist.

Cheers
Janis

Attachments

• p1020575.jpg
    p1020575.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 110
  • davit4.jpg
    davit4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
  • davit5.jpg
    davit5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 112
  • davit6.jpg
    davit6.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 117
Janis, the way I see it now, you have the reduction pulley arrangement built in there already with a pulley wheel set into the top of the davit, and a double purchase down at the bottom there where it is attached temporarily at the outside base of the davit. I suspect that is where there will be some kind carbine, or snap hook, that clips into loops on the ends of the dinghy. Then, I think the rope coming out at the inboard side at the top, and going round that horizontally placed pulley, is so both ropes can be taken to a common point, so you can haul on them both at once. Does that make sense..?

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 03:56:42 AM

Peter what you suggest makes a lot of sense. Indeed there is a snap hook at the lower davit connection point for attaching to the tender. The idea of the orientation of the line on the two horizontal pulleys being designedthat way to enable both lines to be pulled together is also very simple. However in practice if the line is wet and slippery would it not be difficult to manage this and to tie off to separate cleats? What do you suggest - that I fit cleats to the outside of each davit?

Thanks
Janis

Janis, it sort of depends where the other rope comes out and in what direction the pulley is aligned. Normally yes, one would have the cleats down on the inboard (cockpit side) flat of the davit at convenient height, that's where mine were. The issue with your set-up appears to be that in the case of the one in your pic, the port side one, it is designed for the force to be lateral, (that is sideways), towards the starboard side of the cockpit, so a cleat down on the cockpit side, which would be the normal spot, would be the wrong angle of pull in the case of that port davit, unless there is a vertically aligned pulley just inside the opening the rope comes though, which appears not to be the case.* If there was, then no problem, you bypass the horizontal one. If however, the pulley where it comes out of the starboard davit is vertically aligned, then clearly it was designed for the the rope ends to be brought together, probably at the back of the starboard davit, possibly round a suitably orientated double block/pulley, so they could be operated together, maybe even by a manually wound winch, which has been removed since. However, if both ropes only operate by going round a horizontal pulley, (which you hinted at being the case), in effect towards each other, then that makes things tricky.* You don't want to have to do a 'Sampson pulling down the temple' act each time.* I suppose you could pass each rope where it comes out of the top of the davit round the outside of the pulley so they both come to the inboard side of the davit, and mount a cleat there each side.* That would be easier to drive than with the cleats on the outside.* The angle of pull for you would be a bit higher than ideal, but not too bad if the dinghy is not a real heavyweight, and it would take a sideways movement to wrap it round the cleat, but it could well be the way to go, to keep it simple.* It would be really informative to see equivalent pics of the starboard davit and the pulleys etc. I find this situation intriguing. How was it you never had the chance to find out how the PO used the set-up...?

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 06:53:50 AM

Peter B wrote:
Janis, it sort of depends where the other rope comes out and in what direction the pulley is aligned. Normally yes, one would have the cleats down on the inboard (cockpit side) flat of the davit at convenient height, that's where mine were. The issue with your set-up appears to be that in the case of the one in your pic, the port side one, it is designed for the force to be lateral, (that is sideways), towards the starboard side of the cockpit, so a cleat down on the cockpit side, which would be the normal spot, would be the wrong angle of pull in the case of that port davit, unless there is a vertically aligned pulley just inside the opening the rope comes though, which appears not to be the case.* If there was, then no problem, you bypass the horizontal one. If however, the pulley where it comes out of the starboard davit is vertically aligned, then clearly it was designed for the the rope ends to be brought together, probably at the back of the starboard davit, possibly round a suitably orientated double block/pulley, so they could be operated together, maybe even by a manually wound winch, which has been removed since. However, if both ropes only operate by going round a horizontal pulley, (which you hinted at being the case), in effect towards each other, then that makes things tricky.* You don't want to have to do a 'Sampson pulling down the temple' act each time.* I suppose you could pass each rope where it comes out of the top of the davit round the outside of the pulley so they both come to the inboard side of the davit, and mount a cleat there each side.* That would be easier to drive than with the cleats on the outside.* The angle of pull for you would be a bit higher than ideal, but not too bad if the dinghy is not a real heavyweight, and it would take a sideways movement to wrap it round the cleat, but it could well be the way to go, to keep it simple.* It would be really informative to see equivalent pics of the starboard davit and the pulleys etc. I find this situation intriguing. How was it you never had the chance to find out how the PO used the set-up...?

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 06:53:50 AM
*Gents,

On my sail boat I had a set of davits that were operated from inside of the cockpit (no duck board).* Each had a jam cleat and tie off cleat*where the turning*pully is located on this set up.* With that set up I could pull one side up a bit and then the other or use two people.

Looking at the pictures,*are the pulleys*there so that one person could handle both lines from inside of the cockpit? Thus are there any tie offs on the*inside*of the transom?*

As I believe Ken said the handle (crank) thingy seems to be some kind of securing devise.*Perhaps a bail on the gunwale of*a hard dink. *I envision the person pulling the dink up all*the way*and then capturing the dink with the crank handles and securing it in place.* Quite cool if it works out. Keeping the dink from moving around on davits is a PIA some time.

Peter B wrote:
Janis, the way I see it now, you have the reduction pulley arrangement built in there already with a pulley wheel set into the top of the davit, and a double purchase down at the bottom there where it is attached temporarily at the outside base of the davit. I suspect that is where there will be some kind carbine, or snap hook, that clips into loops on the ends of the dinghy. Then, I think the rope coming out at the inboard side at the top, and going round that horizontally placed pulley, is so both ropes can be taken to a common point, so you can haul on them both at once. Does that make sense..?

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 03:56:42 AM
*I think Peters on the right track, the port line transfers to the Stbd side and then turns again*I think on the*single sheeve pulley on the Stbd side, then both lines could be pulled straight into the cockpit.

I initially was thinking heavy dinghy and winch, but seeing the picture with the outboard mounting bracket makes me think more lightweight which could be pulled up by hand. The mechanical advantage of the 'system' would make that more likely.

Lack of a cleat is puzzling. Is it possible one of the*Gemma's cleats is in a position to take the lines? From the looks of the design and fabrication it appears to be a well thought out one of a kind. Some fellow spent a lot of time out back with a pencil and beverage deciding how to make it all work together.

If it were me, I'd stand there with the lines in my hand, and pantomime pulling them in and watching the dink rise. Then let my hands go where they naturally want to go to secure the lines and look in that area. I think the designer had a solution, you just have to figure it out.

I think between Peter and Ken, you are almost there. I frequently find myself alone, pulling up the dinghy, so i suspect this apparatus is designed for one at a time raining of the ends of a lightweight dinghy. The cleating of the line is likely as shown in the first picture, after that end is raised a bit, the line is wrapped around the gunnel securing fitting, and the other end is attended. Does the winder move that vane-like device towards the big boat, to pin the gunnel? If so, likely a matching fitting on the dinghy so no wear or chafing.

Guys
Many thanks for your comments and ideas. I did exactly as suggested and stood in the stern lines from each davit in hand and thought of your advice and what might work. There are no other cleats handy and the horizontal pulleys at the top of each davit encourage both lines to be pulled toward the centre. The previous PO only had Gemma for a couple of years without a dinghy and last I heard he was working on an oil rig in Russia and I have no prior PO contact details so no help from them either. Notwithstanding, from your suggestions I think what the last PO with a dinghy did (and as suggested I acted it out) was to hold both lines and manually haul a line in and use the channel of the gunwhale winding fitting as a cleat tying off the starboard (or port) side first and then repeating for the other davit. Then alternating from side to side until the required elevation was achieved to use the gunwhale securing fittings to secure and prevent any swinging motion by the dinghy. I'll have to wait and see until I get my dinghy how I can handle the weight with the current blocks that are in place but it does look good to go after all. Perhaps no missing bits at all. It was the gunwhale securing device that totally threw me.

There are clever folk on this forum - not least of which are you guys. Many thanks indeed. When I get my dinghy I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Janis

You're welcome Janis. Actually, as your system there is so like what I used to have, so I sort of know how it will all go, I would make one final suggestion. That is, as it seems not possible to rotate those upper pulleys where the ropes exit the davit at the back to the vertical, which would have made it possible to exactly replicate what our set-up was like, it might be best, instead of looping the ropes round the dinghy gunwhale clamps, which might then make it less easy to secure those clamps, to just bore some new holes and mount a stout cleat on the inner face of each davit up in line with the exit aperture. Then, working from between them, one at a time, you can let out or pull in, and easily secure the rope, without having to do more than a step or two each way. Just a thought...?* However, your idea of just tying off to those clamps might well work better in practice that in looks.

-- Edited by Peter B on Saturday 28th of January 2012 05:13:15 AM

Peter
Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually thinking of bolting on a cam cleat on the inside of each davit so the line from each davit can be very easily secured/released when launching/raising and when a more secure tie down is needed eg when cruising, then tie down using the gunwhale devices as cleats as it may get cluttered if I put in another proper cleat on each. I was also thinking of drilling a hole in each of th gunwhale securing "vanes", attaching a d shackle and line to enable tie off to the dinghy davit lift points or sides of whatever tender I get so I'm not restricted to a tinny (as Ill probably get a RIB) and still able to use the gunwhale attachment winder to tightly hold the dinghy against the stern of the mother ship.

Again thanks for your help.

Cheers
Janis

JD wrote:*Gents,
On my sail boat I had a set of davits that were operated from inside of the cockpit (no duck board).* Each had a jam cleat and tie off cleat*where the turning*pully is located on this set up.* With that set up I could pull one side up a bit and then the other or use two people.

Looking at the pictures,*are the pulleys*there so that one person could handle both lines from inside of the cockpit? Thus are there any tie offs on the*inside*of the transom?*

As I believe Ken said the handle (crank) thingy seems to be some kind of securing devise.*Perhaps a bail on the gunwale of*a hard dink. *I envision the person pulling the dink up all*the way*and then capturing the dink with the crank handles and securing it in place.* Quite cool if it works out. Keeping the dink from moving around on davits is a PIA some time.

JD

What you suggest is exactly what I have on mine. *It doesn't appear that Janis had the same setup, but may be adaptable to a similar one.

Here are a few photos of mine.

Attachments

• dsc_0001.jpg
    dsc_0001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 109
  • dsc_0002.jpg
    dsc_0002.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 110
  • dsc_0003.jpg
    dsc_0003.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 108
Carey
Thanks for the photos. What you have is what I will try to replicate, however the sides of my davits don't have very much spare real estate to play with and the orientation of the rear horizontal pulleys make things a bit problematic so Im going to have to play around a bit with various alignments etc.
Cheers
Janis

Janis, think about the type of tender you get carefully, especially the two main considerations. One, the weight, and how easy it will be to winch it up, bearing in mind the weight of outboard as well, which being able to leave in on the dinghy is the main benefit of the davit type of system. The other is how to keep the damn thing from gyrating back and forth and round about in a seaway, as that is where any type of inflatable tends to have issues, (although imaginative cross roping and tying can minimize it a fair bit), whereas a rigid type, like a tinny, which is almost certainly what the original owner was using, looking at those rubber unfriendly dinghy gun'l clamps, is much easier to fix firmly against movement in a seaway. Carey's Bullfrog is sort of in between in that respect, so he might come back in here and discuss that aspect a bit..?
What I would say is you would need a fairly light boat and motor for that manual system of retrieval, and I can vouch for how good a wee Honda 2.5Hp outboard is for lightness - also 4 stroke, so no oil/fuel mix to foul plugs, and air cooled, so no need to flush. However, if you want a go-fast dinghy, with 8hp or more on the back, then you would probably want to put a winder handle each side, which would need modification of the exit pulleys, unless you added a cross member between the davits, so you could lead both ends to one central double block, then drop them down to one winder system mounted on the inside of the gun'l maybe...? Interesting challenge eh what...? But this is all part of the fun of boating - solving this type of problem.

Peter B wrote:
Janis, think about the type of tender you get carefully, especially the two main considerations. One, the weight, and how easy it will be to winch it up, bearing in mind the weight of outboard as well, which being able to leave in on the dinghy is the main benefit of the davit type of system. The other is how to keep the damn thing from gyrating back and forth and round about in a seaway, as that is where any type of inflatable tends to have issues, (although imaginative cross roping and tying can minimize it a fair bit), whereas a rigid type, like a tinny, which is almost certainly what the original owner was using, looking at those rubber unfriendly dinghy gun'l clamps, is much easier to fix firmly against movement in a seaway. Carey's Bullfrog is sort of in between in that respect, so he might come back in here and discuss that aspect a bit..?
What I would say is you would need a fairly light boat and motor for that manual system of retrieval, and I can vouch for how good a wee Honda 2.5Hp outboard is for lightness - also 4 stroke, so no oil/fuel mix to foul plugs, and air cooled, so no need to flush. However, if you want a go-fast dinghy, with 8hp or more on the back, then you would probably want to put a winder handle each side, which would need modification of the exit pulleys, unless you added a cross member between the davits, so you could lead both ends to one central double block, then drop them down to one winder system mounted on the inside of the gun'l maybe...? Interesting challenge eh what...? But this is all part of the fun of boating - solving this type of problem.
*OK Peter, you asked for it.*
smile.gif

My system is manual, and my dinghy is at the heavy end of what my existing system allows me to pick up. The Bullfrog is 425# with eleven gallons of fuel and the fifteen horse four stroke on board.

As to lifting, I utilize a pair of four sheave blocks at the stern and a triple at the bow. The lines run from the top block into pretty substantial jamb cleats, which allows me to lift one end of the boat a foot or so, then switch to the other end momentarily, and lift it a foot or two. Switching from one to the other a couple times has the boat all the way to the top. It only takes a minute or two, but not without some effort. The weight does not allow me to simply pull on the hoisting lines. It requires a leg assist. I wrap the lifting line around my waist, and then grip the main line and the tail line together with both hands tightly gripping the two parts of the line together. Then I put a foot on the gunwale, and push away. Adjusting the line twice, accomplishes about eighteen inches of lift, then I switch to the other line and repeat the process. When it's fully raised, I then cleat it off to the welded cleat adjacent to the jamb cleat.

Now, to finalize the setup, I tie diagonal lines from the far side of the dinghy back to the big boat. In my case, the bow line is attached to the forward, starboard side of the dinghy, and then goes to an attachment on the port stern of the big boat. These lines minimize dinghy swing when under way, however, I would like to switch to a line with no stretch, as they get loose and require adjustment. These two diagonals also serve to hold the dink tight against the ladder. In order to tighten this all as much as possible, I use the extra long tails of the diagonals to return to themselves at a point in the middle and pull all the lines together. I have on occasion added a short bow and stern line directly from the dink to the mothership as well.

I hope this helps!

Yes, thanks Carey. Great and graphic detail, and I'm sure it has helped a lot. For example, I think it will convince Janis to go for a lighter dink and motor, but that's fine, because that's probably all he/she (considered she - sorry wrong, it's 'he' - looked it up - is it Scandanavian...?) needs, anyway. Or - go for a fixed winder mechanism, as your heroics with rope wrapped round waist and foot on rail are not for the faint-hearted, and full marks for your tenacity. Just reading your post made me feel tired. I don't know about Janis, but, to paraphrase the policeman from 'Lethal Weapon', "I'm too old for that s**t!"

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 29th of January 2012 09:12:34 PM

Peter B wrote:
Yes, thanks Carey. Great and graphic detail, and I'm sure it has helped a lot. For example, I think it will convince Janis to go for a lighter dink and motor, but that's fine, because that's probably all he/she (considered she - sorry wrong, it's 'he' - looked it up - is it Scandanavian...?) needs, anyway. Or - go for a fixed winder mechanism, as your heroics with rope wrapped round waist and foot on rail are not for the faint-hearted, and full marks for your tenacity. Just reading your post made me feel tired. I don't know about Janis, but, to paraphrase the policeman from 'Lethal Weapon', "I'm too old for that s**t!"

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 29th of January 2012 09:12:34 PM
It's really quite simple and easier than it sounds. My whole goal in this setup was simplicity, and nothing electrical to corode and fail.

Carey/Peter
Thanks for the effort you have gone to to detail the whole enchilada! And I think I can make my davit setup work in a similar way. Like Peter I can almost hear the grunts as Carey pulls up his Bullfrog. I wouldnt envisage anything that heavy at all. Probably around 260lbs (120Kg) for dinghy including motor - aluminium hull RIB and 15HP. Currently I have two triple sheave blocks at each end. Would you think this setup would be workable to manage the raising/lowering without undue strain? Im a pretty fit 60yrs young kinda guy. (BTW Janis is Latvian for John - my folks emigrated to Australia after WWII.)

Cheers
Janis

Latvia eh...well that's almost Scandinavian...looks across a small sea at it anyway...
What is boating like down in those Gippsland Lakes, Janis?

Peter
Since prior to owning Gemma I had a 3.8m tinny that I used for fishing on the Murray River I wasnt really ready for the challenges of full on sea going activity. Consequently the coincidence that the PO had Gemma on the Gippsland Lakes was a great advantage for me in that the waters are much more benign than in the Bass Strait. There are 3 huge interconnected lakes and four river systems that converge to form 350 square Kms of navigable waters. So there is lots of variety - lots of arms to anchor, lakes to traverse and rivers to explore and fish. We often beach on purpose, tie up to some trees and overnight. There are areas protected from wind as the winds from the Antarctic can get quite intense and whip up whitecaps on the lakes quite quickly. There is also a very thin 100-200m strip of land, more like sand dunes that along the coast separate the lakes from the ocean so its quite easy to berth at provided jetties or beach and stroll over to do some ocean fishing. Heaps of diversity.

The plan is to build up my skills to then venture out across the Lakes Entrance bar to the ocean and either island hop to Tasmania or take a deep breath and steam for some 12 hours to get to the first eastern port at Eden and then work up the coast. Lots of folk do this so there is no drama if conditions are right. With only two and a half years of intermittent use of Gemma (as I live and work 3.5 hours away in Melbourne) I need to get my skills up, take a deep breath, tighten the sphincter and go... Not yet sure when that will be.

I must say this forum is a great way for me to get some accelerated learning.

Cheers
Janis

Gemma wrote:
Carey/Peter
Thanks for the effort you have gone to to detail the whole enchilada! And I think I can make my davit setup work in a similar way. Like Peter I can almost hear the grunts as Carey pulls up his Bullfrog. I wouldnt envisage anything that heavy at all. Probably around 260lbs (120Kg) for dinghy including motor - aluminium hull RIB and 15HP. Currently I have two triple sheave blocks at each end. Would you think this setup would be workable to manage the raising/lowering without undue strain? Im a pretty fit 60yrs young kinda guy. (BTW Janis is Latvian for John - my folks emigrated to Australia after WWII.)

Cheers
Janis
*Janis

I have no doubt that you can handle 260# with the blocks you have. Just grunt a little when you reach maximum strain.
biggrin.gif

Well, when you decide to venture out Jan, (can we call you Jan?), you certainly have the right boat for it. I reckon that yours could handle anything you are likely to encounter if you choose your weather, and bay hop up the coast. Mine's only a 34 footer and has been to the Whitsundays a couple of times, under PO's I must add in all honesty, as I still don't have the time, like you - blasted work. I know other Clipper 34 owners who have been down to Sydney and back.

Peter
Call me Jan by all means. Perhaps serendipity will strike and there will be time to take the plunge and go up the coast before too long. However an equally formidable challenge will be convincing the Admiral to take the plunge too. She has an aversion to winds above 10 knots and suffers from a combination of sea sickness and trepidation as soon as the waves hint at picking up a bit. I am vigorously working on lifting her confidence levels - very slow progress though.

Cheers
Janis

Same reason we won't be taking Lotus up the the Whitsundays, Jan, even when I have the time. However, the 2iC is prepared to hire one up there, and when one considers the fuel and time factor.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom