Volvo Engines Poll, 2005 and later

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My experience with diesel engines newer than 2005

• I own a Volvo diesel and have have NO problems

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I own a Volvo diesel and have found parts too expensive

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I own a Volvo diesel and have had trouble getting parts or service

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own another diesel and have have NO problems

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • I own anther diesel and have had trouble getting parts or service

• I own another diesel and have had trouble getting parts or service

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Hi,

I'm getting some mixed info about Volvo engines. Been shopping a few boats that have them and I'm getting everything from "they're great" to "parts to high" and "lousy service"

Can you fill out the poll and post your experience. And if you've had exceptional luck with a particular engine, post it. Only 2005 and later engines, thanks.

Doesn't anyone have Volvo engines?

If so, please comment on your experience, would be appreciated.

Can't speak for the newer engines but I had zero issues with my TMD40As. Parts are pricey only if you need them and anything I bought was by choice not necessity. Belts, filters and other disposable item can be sourced from many places reasonably. The one thing I hear most about Volvo is that they don't support their old engines although most Europeans say Volvos are extremely popular and parts are plentiful. Volvos shouldn't be the reason for not buying a boat IMO but I know there are a lot of Volvo haters around.

My bad experiences with Volvos was prior to 2005. The bad taste has lasted a long time. There are clearly people who are happy with their Volvos. Oem parts are reported to be quite high, but if the engine you're looking at has a good track record, then parts costs may not be that important.

Ted

The newer D series have a great reputation for reliability. I find service is a regional thing. Here in Seattle we have great support for CAT, Cummins and Volvo. Never compared the cost of parts between the different engines so I can’t answer that.

Thanks for the posts. Seems like there aren't a lot of post 2005 Volvo engine out there.
My poor experience was with 2005 gas engines, but my biggest issue besides the price of parts, was the total lack of service.

Volvo wouldn't talk to me and there were very few Volvo dealers in my neighborhood, and only one really good one. I would have kept the boat if it had Mercs, it was a great boat, but the frustration with Volvo made it miserable.

There are a lot of Volvo OEM out there and just wondering if the service hasn't improved a bit.

I've heard a few good things about the "D" series Volvo, but still complaints about high parts prices.

My Yanmar has been bullet proof as been Cummins I've used in the past. Still reluctant to get a Volvo powered boat.

If you can’t find a good source of parts and service I would move on. While I could connect you with a good parts house, all your parts would have to come from Seattle. I wouldn’t find that acceptable.

I have a 2011 Volvo D2-40. I have had zero issues with it so far.

My experience is Volvo's dealer support network is not so great. When you find a dealer, they are usually backed up for months or do not care to help as you aren't paying them for other regular maintenance. Volvo also REALLY pisses me off in that they will not answer simple questions by phone or email and all they say is ask a dealer. Good luck getting a dealer's time unless you have an existing relationship / are paying them oodles and when you do get their time, be prepared to get conflicting information, which Volvo still will not clarify. Other engine manufacturers seem to have better networks and will answer questions directly to consumers. Also, the parts are expensive. For example, breather filters, every 100 hours, are almost $300 for a pair. Finally, I have read/heard horror stories about Volvo techs not knowing what they are doing and causing more harm than good in some cases. My experience is that they do not like tackling big problems, warranty work, or are uncapable of identifying root cause of an issue. If the engines keep chugging along I think I'll be fine but if something goes wrong I am concerned about finding support/getting good assistance.

Our Island Pilot has a pair of 2008 D6 350HP paired with DPH outdrives. The boat and engines are new to me last year, but so far, so good and PO seems to have had the same experience. Volvo Penta, Mercruiser and more - Marine Parts Express - engines, outdrives, propellers has been a great source for me. I've had Ford Lehmans, Yanmar, and Cummins. Can't say the Volvo's are any better or worse for parts, maybe a little more challenge for extensive service I can't do myself. Good luck!

I had a circa 2009 boat with a D6-330hp, purchased new. The crank position sensor failed and put the engine into limp mode. A servicing dealer replaced it under warranty. Otherwise I had no problems, but parts are eye-wateringly expensive.

My boat used to have a old 1984 Volvo MD17D.
Not surprisingly, some parts were hard to get.

The local service rep was great. I do all my own work, but they always had time to answer queries and assisted me to troubleshoot problems knowing I was doing the work myself. I would have bought another Volvo but their new engines weren't a good fit in my engine compartment.

Are there electronic workshop/service manuals? I see you can order in paperback but I prefer to have everything as PDF. Easy to search, can look things up when I'm home, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom