I though about fire extinguishers today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diver dave

Guru
Vessel Name
Coquina
Vessel Make
Lagoon 380
Like: why is every worldwide fire extinguisher RED, except for the ones on US boats?

AND: why does US insist on having extinguishers on brackets, in home, and industry, when the ROW (rest of world) has them sitting on the floor?

AND lastly: why does Canada make boats have devices intended to put water iNTO boats (buckets), while the US insists small boats have one scoop to REMOVE water from boats?

I can't sleep until we figure this out...:socool:

My fire extinguishers on the boat are all red.

The bracket is to keep the fire extinguisher in the place you expect it. If it weren't for the bracket requirement, who knows where the average American would put it to keep it out of the way.

Ted

The bracket also keeps them from flying in rough seas.

AND: why does US insist on having extinguishers on brackets, in home, and industry, when the ROW (rest of world) has them sitting on the floor?. ...

If your observation is correct, the rest of the world is nuts.

Dave, S-H-H-H-H-H, this whole thing about red vs white was actually started back in the mid-1700's by a committee under the direction of King Henry the whatever. They were tasked deciding which color would be most appropriate for the fire extinguishers they used back then.

That committee decided that if they kept us Yanks guessing about colors and what not like that then we'd lose sleep and they'd be able to overpower us if we ever got out of line and started dumping tea in some Yank harbor.

Well, it all backfired because nobody even noticed the color difference until you came along. At this point, the history of that committee and their decisions is a bit hazy but the reality of it all is that nobody cares!

Now roll over, plump up your pillow and go back to nightey night.

My guess is that FE hangers were a natural e tension of hangers (and rounded bottoms) for pails of sand & water for fire protection that FE replaced.
Why... prevents the bottom from rusting out if sitting in the wrong place & conditions.
https://goo.gl/images/7HkPWr

Last edited:
My guess is that FE hangers were a natural e tension of hangers (and rounded bottoms) for pails of sand & water for fire protection that FE replaced.
Why... prevents the bottom from rusting out if sitting in the wrong place & conditions.
https://goo.gl/images/7HkPWr

I was taught in my MED (marine emegency duties) course that fire buckets had round bottoms to discourage them from being used to store gear.

Last edited:
I was taught in my MED (marine emegency duties) course that fire buckets had round bottoms to discourage them from being used to store gear.
That could be as well.
The link actually said it was to improve aiming/ throwing the wet sand. Better w round than flat

That could be as well.
The link actually said it was to improve aiming/ throwing the wet sand. Better w round than flat

IMG_5860.JPG

I feel like maybe i can sleep now. Knowing that Canadian 70 footers have two red buckets, with holes in the bottom, to fight fires. [emoji91]

View attachment 84315

I feel like maybe i can sleep now. Knowing that Canadian 70 footers have two red buckets, with holes in the bottom, to fight fires. [emoji91]
Thanks, holes in the bottom? So if you have to carry it inside you have to stick your finger in the bottom or let it run out? WTH?

And an axe too

12 to 24 meters are also to have an axe. That way you can chop a hole somewhere to empty your buckets:D Or, chop another hole in the bottom to let water out:eek:

View attachment 84315

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom