Underside of deck name, repair, thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bridaus

Vessel Name
Morgan le Fay
Vessel Make
KK 42
Question 1: What would you call the area in this picture? Deck ceiling?

Question 2: What does this mean about the rest of the deck? Were the undersides built any different from the deck itself (fiberglass top, exposed wood on bottom maybe?) The deck feels very firm and solid, no softness detected. even above these areas. To me it doesn't appear like there is a bottom layer of fiberglass in these areas, OR this paneling is a faux cover with space above. I did not poke in the hole (but should have).

Any musings/thoughts on what it would take to fix this practically?

Edit: It's a KK42

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_112718.jpg
    IMG_20190107_112718.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Looks like peg board? If so it is not intended to be used outdoors. Could mean the upper deck is leaking but has not been long enough to cause a soft spot yet. Or water can just follow around the edge of the deck and get the underside wet, especially if the edge has a radius to it.

Question 2: What does this mean about the rest of the deck? Were the undersides built any different from the deck itself (fiberglass top, exposed wood on bottom maybe?) The deck feels very firm and solid, no softness detected. even above these areas. To me it doesn't appear like there is a bottom layer of fiberglass in these areas, OR this paneling is a faux cover with space above. I did not poke in the hole (but should have).

Looks like a veneer, so not suitable for outdoor use.
Time to poke into the hole and find out how it is put together, When you do, please post pictures, then maybe someone here on TF can help.

Found this: Boat deck: Fiberglass sandwich with plywood squares 4" x 4" core,
wood overhead beams, painted with teak cap on interior,
peg board and later fiberglass sheets on exterior overhead

Here: http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/42trawlr.htm

So confirms it was actually used OEM. I fear that there is nothing/wet wood smoosh remaining inside.

That was standard in the early 42’s. A lot of boats removed the peg board and reinstalled sold marine ply. Not a big deal.

That was standard in the early 42’s. A lot of boats removed the peg board and reinstalled sold marine ply. Not a big deal.

Larry, what should one expect to find under there?

Just the top side of fiberglass? Or something else?

Are they attached only by trim? If I'm asking too many questions, send me flying to a source. :)

You’ll see the boat decks beams and then plywood. Send a pm to Scott on Sealife, a member here. He has an earlier KK42, a surveyor and did a major retrofit. Are you looking to buy this one?

Clean it and paint it if not leaking. How would you look after 40 years.

Take it down, clean it, coat it in epoxy, paint it, reinstall after fixing what’s been made accessible.

Take it down and replace with something impervious. Add vents (like soffit vents).

Mine is an unvented fiberglass overhead with no drip edge. Gotta’ add vents.

You’ll see the boat decks beams and then plywood. Send a pm to Scott on Sealife, a member here. He has an earlier KK42, a surveyor and did a major retrofit. Are you looking to buy this one?

Yes to looking at it. BTW, it has rotted away in some places.

Beams, hmm, I would have thought it would have been a cored fiberglass the whole way across, one big sandwich.

So does that mean there is air pockets in between the beams going across? I'm still missing something. Wish I had prints/drawing of a cross section.

I will PM Scott, thanks!

Whatever you do, make sure there is no leak. And if you use plywood you have to vent or you'll have bigger problems.

I use galvanized vents like shown. You can find them online and most hardware stores.

Attachments

• vents.jpg
    vents.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 483
Good application for a boroscope. They are really stupid cheap online and connect to cell phone tablet or laptop for screen. Come w LED lighting powered by the device you connect to.
They have limitations but can be useful in many situations.

Good application for a boroscope. They are really stupid cheap online and connect to cell phone tablet or laptop for screen. Come w LED lighting powered by the device you connect to.
They have limitations but can be useful in many situations.

I really really really totally hate to have to buy a cool new toy, it would really pain me, but since you have said that I should really have one of these, I guess I'll look. :whistling:

I use my inspection camera for lots of things including around the house.

Our boat deck was molded but basically the same. If you pull down the peg board you’ll see the boat deck beams carried out board. On top of that was plywood and on top of that is the deck finish. Here’s a picture of our boat deck from the bottom. Similar but no peg board and molded. The early decks were built by stick not by molds for the most part almost 40 years ago.

Attachments

• CDA1A06F-DA5D-4F04-8440-C443B0F0AA74.jpg
    CDA1A06F-DA5D-4F04-8440-C443B0F0AA74.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 60
Soffit.

That photo of the later '42 is a good clue, you can probably just toss that rotten stuff and paint whatever you find under there.

pull them down intact to use as patterns for new material if you chose to replace.
That’s a good idea . You might could use some of that white plastic/ fiberglass sheet you get at Lowe’s and transfer the pattern and the holes and get the same look. The sheet comes in 4’ x 8’ . We used on the walls of our head/ shower. It’s smooth on one side and textured on the other .May have to add some batten strips to help keep it flat .

Attachments

• 5E8AF144-CBA9-4341-ADD4-E1C423558917.jpg
    5E8AF144-CBA9-4341-ADD4-E1C423558917.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 809D46F8-A847-4BD8-90D2-51F1620AF606.jpg
    809D46F8-A847-4BD8-90D2-51F1620AF606.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 59269988-9095-4EFF-92B9-0605F2B33411.jpg
    59269988-9095-4EFF-92B9-0605F2B33411.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Our boat deck was molded but basically the same. If you pull down the peg board you’ll see the boat deck beams carried out board. On top of that was plywood and on top of that is the deck finish. Here’s a picture of our boat deck from the bottom. Similar but no peg board and molded. The early decks were built by stick not by molds for the most part almost 40 years ago.

Got it now. Nice. Aesthetically much better than pegboard. Not sure if there is another treatment that would be an improvement. I like simple and minimal.

I like this look better. If the beam is there it needs to be shown off . Larry those look beafy. Like the old saying goes “ those that build by the shabby beam die by the shabby beam . “

Last edited:
If you are a member of Krogen Cruisers group there is a portfolio of construction drawings. I think I may have looked at this boat if it was the one for sale in Hyannis area 3-5 years ago. If you don't have access PM and I'll locate the file for you.
Bob Johnson
Guinness
KK4241

WRT lookin’ good after 40 years, I look pretty shabby, too, bridaus!
WRT soffit vents, I know they’re available in aluminum, did not know they’re available in galvanized steel. Even better, they’re available in plastic, painlessly, from Amazon and elsewhere: https://www.amazon.com/Maurice-Fran...&pf_rd_p=f2553a23-e4ad-5e5b-95f3-f5a36786a4d4

WRT using the delightfully cheap fiberglass sheets sold at the Despot for restaurant kitchen and bathroom walls, pebbly/shiny on the front and dull/unfinished on the back: the stuff is cheap for a reason; it’s thin and weak. Great for the intended purpose but it surely cannot span very far horizontally. I use lots of it for various unintended purposes: always the flat back side showing, nearly always epoxied to a substrate, or for small patches.

You could call it a soffit. Our trawler had some drainage under the roof area. If it is peg type board, it would actually wick moisture. You need to cut a section out and see what you have. Could be damage from before the top area was re-done. If there is just framing cut it out and repaint properly.
Best to you.

The holes are to ensure ventilation. There is a product called tempered hardboard pegboard which is oil tempered, therefore much more water and rot resistant....try specialty industrial lumber supply yards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom