Now is the time to act, we can all do something good!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
:).hi every one,

Co2 emissions are too much for the planet if each of us Trawler Forum members decide to run 0.5 kn slower throughout the year 2019 CO2 load can be significant from the point of view of the whole, although this cannot save the racket, whether it is too much of a request from you. I don't have, besides, you can save money, is it dirty to think green for the future?

Would it be great to do our part in this matter, in a small matter that can be a big thing for the whole Trawler forum members to participate in this goal.

NBs

Sounds reasonable, I'm all for being a good steward of our natural resources, now if you could just ask nature to slow down it's emissions we're on to something (Since natural emissions are 30 times that of man made emissions).

You are both correct. Humans "cause" about 3% of the total CO2, but that is "apparently" enough to cause global temperature change.
The 3% (+/-) is verifiable with carbon dating measurements of the Carbon atom inside the CO2.

It's actually the temperature change that drives the release of Co2, not the other way around. Point is, take care of what's been given to us, but I certainly don't need another religion forcing itself on my way of life through carbon taxes and caps.

Co2 emissions are too much for the planet if each of us Trawler Forum members decide to run 0.5 kn slower throughout the year 2019 CO2 load can be significant from the point of view of the whole, although this cannot save the racket, whether it is too much of a request from you. I don't have, besides, you can save money, is it dirty to think green for the future?

Would it be great to do our part in this matter, in a small matter that can be a big thing for the whole Trawler forum members to participate in this goal.

Just the trawlers owners? That is a minuscule slice of the pie. That would be like scolding a young girl for crying during a flood.

You'd be better served looking at the cruise line industry or asking everyone to ride a bike once a week.

I recently read (real fact!) that one of the biggest (perhaps the biggest?) contributor to global CO2 is cement manufacturing. Nothing to do with diesel or gasoline engines, though these are obviously significant contributors also. But who would have thought?

I'm in. It will save me some money and extend my range significantly. I think it's a very cool idea to team up to help make a difference. Regardless of political ideology.

Here's to a more enjoyable and a more prosperous cruising season!

Cheers!

If I run 0.5kn below my usual cruise speed I won't be able to pass under the bridge nearby where the river current is the stronger lol

L

Sorry, I'm not slowing down. I burn 2 GPH and feel I've already made my concessions to help the environment.

Ted

If all trawler owners slowed down by 0.5 kts that would probably have the same effect as the US auto owners slowing down by 0.00001 mph.

I also respect others saying that they are already doing their part by having a trawler rather than a go fast boat or doing other reasonable things to reduce green house gas emissions. We each do what we can.

Oh about the cement factory emissions: It takes fossil fuels to heat the calcium ore up in a big kiln so it turns to cement, and when it does it releases CO2. So it is a two pronged attack. The cement industry is looking for more environmentally friendly substitutes.

David

I am in. We have solar panels on the roof, rarely run the AC or heat in the house, and don’t drive our cars much. Helps me rationalize being a boat owner. Small changes by all of us add up.

I considered my impact when I bought my boat with a fuel burn of 3 litres/hour (0.75 gal/hr). Motor sailing brings fuel burn down to about 2 litres (0.5 gallons)/hour. I'll make the effort to use the sail more often and won't have to slow down.

One persons impact is minuscule but when you multiply that by 8 billion, it is very significant. Especially when most of us are in the top 1% of CO2 producers worldwide due to our lifestyle.

I get tired hearing, "but what about them". It's a bit like saying its ok to beat your dog because others are doing it more.

If all trawler owners slowed down by 0.5 kts that would probably have the same effect as the US auto owners slowing down by 0.00001 mph.

I also respect others saying that they are already doing their part by having a trawler rather than a go fast boat or doing other reasonable things to reduce green house gas emissions. We each do what we can.

Oh about the cement factory emissions: It takes fossil fuels to heat the calcium ore up in a big kiln so it turns to cement, and when it does it releases CO2. So it is a two pronged attack. The cement industry is looking for more environmentally friendly substitutes.

David
Ok I will do my part and won't buy a ferro cement hull boat lol :)

L

Last year we traded in a Toyota 4 runner and bought this little Hybrid. Miss the the cargo room but love the
43 MPG.

Attachments

• 8FC2E255-F137-4D97-8D80-A2114845524F.jpg
    8FC2E255-F137-4D97-8D80-A2114845524F.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 109
You are both correct. Humans "cause" about 3% of the total CO2, but that is "apparently" enough to cause global temperature change.
The 3% (+/-) is verifiable with carbon dating measurements of the Carbon atom inside the CO2.

You are right, Dave.

What you failed to mention, is that the natural world has developed a balance over hundreds of millions of years. CO2 is released and absorbed naturally in large amounts. The CO2 level in the atmospheric goes up and down but has a natural balance.

The natural cycle takes between 5000 and 20,000 year to increase the CO2 level by 100 ppm. The changes we have made have caused a 100 ppm increase in 120 years. This is not normal.

Last edited:
When someone can point to a known "normal" temp for earth throughout history I might consider buying into this baloney some call climate change, and used to call global warming, until it started to cool. Who is to say that the temps right now are not normal? Its well known that the earth has warming periods and cooling periods, they are naturally occurring. There have been warmer periods than now and long before the internal combustion engine came along, so no I am not going to throttle back an already slow boat, or ride the bus or buy a horse, thanks. I ain't drinking this particular Kool Aid.

78 - read post 15.
There is no "normal" temperature, change will always occur. The problem is not a high or low temperature. It is the RATE of change. Many species cannot adapt fast enough to deal with the current rate of change.

And it has not started to cool. Overall it is very clear that the average temperature is increasing very quickly in historical terms. This changes ocean currents which may cool some areas, but overall the planet is heating up.

Depends on who you believe. There is NO consensus on climate change despite what many would have us believe. There are plenty of scientists and climatologists who dispute the whole notion. So called climate change is largely based on computer models and not actual data. There is data out there for those willing to suspend their slavelike adherence to the "scientists all agree" mentality, that this is real and we must "do something". This isn't about climate change, its about people control. Get people out of their cars, onto mass transit, no boats, snowmobiles, too much fun etc., control. You are free to believe it if you choose, I see it as mostly hogwash. Too much info to the contrary for me to swallow it. The likes of ALGORE and his ilk were telling us years ago, that NY would be underwater by now. Is it? Wont be ten years from now either.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Earth's problems (there's more than one) stem from an excessive human population. Trying to mitigate climate change is like taking Nyquil to cure the common cold. You're only treating symptoms, not curing the problem.

Ted

Not to worry, if the Yellowstone Caldera misses some, the shifting of the poles will finish us off.....someday.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Earth's problems (there's more than one) stem from an excessive human population. Trying to mitigate climate change is like taking Nyquil to cure the common cold. You're only treating symptoms, not curing the problem.

Ted
Agreed, it is tinkering at the margins. There is little appetite to cap or reduce population. Charities which likely complain of warming sustain children in regions which cannot support them, whereupon more children are produced which the regions cannot support....and so it goes on.
That`s not to say some "tinkering at the margins" is a bad idea. Small contributions to reducing emissions can add up.

Last edited:
Just read a magazine article from 2012 (yeah I'm catching up a little). Interesting take on it. 20,000 years ago (the blink of an eye historical terms) the sea was 400' lower and there were about 10,000 people living in a valley now known as the North Sea. The sea rose and they moved. The problem is, in the last 200 years or so (tiny fraction of the blink of an eye) we have built trillions of dollars of stuff within a few feet of sea level. Can't just fold the tents and move up hill a little each generation.

The sea was rising anyway, probably human action has sped it up, but the problem is a combination of the two: populating the coast with stuff that can't be moved, and the sea rising.

If you live aboard, you are part of the solution :). Just let out a little more anchor scope, or it'll be a longer dinghy ride to the beach.

Sorry, I'm not slowing down. I burn 2 GPH and feel I've already made my concessions to help the environment.

Ted

Ted: Some of the newer guys here don’t know that you’ve already deep-sixed the original 380 Cummins for a thrifty 4045 John Deere. I thought about doing something similar but it won’t fit under my salon sole.

As for my contribution, I have cut my cruise RPM from 2600 to 2100 RPM, giving an effortless 7 + knots that I like better anyway. Sometimes I even pick up a scrap of paper in a parking lot, and I stopped eating four-bean burritos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Slowed down from 8.5kn @ 1250rpm to 7.5kn @ 1150rpm about 18mths ago.

NBs

Where did this goal come from?

Why are you targeting such a tiny population?

If everyone on this board would slow down 1/2 kt, how many fossel fuels would it save?

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I’m all for saving the planet, but c’mon. Asking everyone to just accelerate slightly slower in their car or use less brakes would make a far bigger difference.

Most people here already are conscience about fuel efficiency already.

If everyone on this board would slow down 1/2 kt, how many fossil fuels would it save?...
This makes absolutely no sense to me... Asking everyone to just accelerate slightly slower in their car or use less brakes would make a far bigger difference.
Most people here already are conscience about fuel efficiency already.
They don`t have to be alternatives. You can slow the boat 1/2 a knot,and accelerate/brake your car less too. If car drivers anticipate by looking further ahead, reduced braking and acceleration,and increased smoothness result. Works for a boat as well.

As methane is a greenhouse effect gas worse than co2 I choose to stop eating beans, I think just this move will result in at least 1% reduction overall lol

L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom