Comments,2004 Swift Trawler, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
For sale in Sydney, for quite some time. Some TF posts about these boats were quite concerning, often related to the Volvo engine installs, but there were other issues like water trapped in the bilge. So I`d like to see what the TF ST enthusiasts have to say about this one, with twin 200 hp Yanmars in what looks a very clean boat, ER included. Every online review I found was essentially positive. And I already drive a French car! https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/...[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=Premium

For sale in Sydney, for quite some time. Some TF posts about these boats were quite concerning, often related to the Volvo engine installs, but there were other issues like water trapped in the bilge. So I`d like to see what the TF ST enthusiasts have to say about this one, with twin 200 hp Yanmars in what looks a very clean boat, ER included. Every online review I found was essentially positive. And I already drive a French car! https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/...[Demo and near new boats]))&pso=0&pss=Premium

I think there is only one ST44 owner having issues with the Volvo to-date out of hundreds built? Or can you please elaborate?

The ST42 and ST44 share pretty much the same hull. Different power plant and rest re-designed.

Bruce

If you move forward on this vessel be insistent that the exhaust elbow setup and turbo discharge are opened up to check for sea water ingestion - as part of the survey. The water addition to the elbow is on the uphill side - not good. Appears there is room to change it to down hill side (new elbows) if the tear down looks OK.

Have a good look at the rudder area, an area that has raised a few red flags on TF. Too bad the ER pictures are dark and murky, what do things look like with some light?

I was on this boat's near twin at a show a few years ago. Interior hatches, doors and floors were a bit lightweight. Overall the pictures show a pretty nice vessel, but that is the intent. As usual the devil's in the details.

Last edited:
Nice looking boat. Not a fan of of single lever engine controls but maybe that’s just me. Good luck if you proceed.

The ST42 chines appear to start above the waterline,query potential for chine wave slap at anchor. I`ve no recall of an owner mentioning it,so maybe not, but if Mystery or anyone who has spent plenty of time onboard could comment,much appreciated.
I note this boat has 260 hours recorded, in 15 years. I think I`d prefer more use,but it has the plus of light usage all over.

The ST42 chines appear to start above the waterline,query potential for chine wave slap at anchor. I`ve no recall of an owner mentioning it,so maybe not, but if Mystery or anyone who has spent plenty of time onboard could comment,much appreciated.
I note this boat has 260 hours recorded, in 15 years. I think I`d prefer more use,but it has the plus of light usage all over.

yes there is chine/wave slap

yes it can get bad

some have found temp solutions

i have slept on boats hundreds of nights so usually its not an issue

especially not an issue for me if HVAC running

if HVAC is not running, a white noise maker helps

Thanks for the direct answer, Mystery. Only the main cabin/salon of this boat has a/c. I`d not want to run it all night. A potential turn off,which may explain the remarkably light prior use of the boat.
Have you slept in the second cabin? Was it any better?

Just looked at a new ST44, very similar. Looked at the 42 about 3 years ago, and seriously considering one, too.

The nice things:
It's fast
Good economy at slow speed
Nice open look, large windows
Starboard helm door (and believe most of the 42s have a port helm door. BIG deal
especially single handed.
Stairs, not ladders
Side door for entry
Excellent room around the engines for a boat this size
Lots of hatches that open for accessibility and storage
Nice walk around on exterior for easy docking
Looks a bit more luxurious, fancies stuff. Has it's goods and bads
(head "bowl" sink is ridiculous)
Beneteau is a HUGE boat manufacturer and overall a good reputation

Negatives:
Wet shower, HUGE negative for some folks.
It would have been so simple to build one head
with an enclosed shower (maybe some models did?)
Perhaps a tad tight in the salon, but subjective, putting two easy
chairs opposite the couch would be tight
No forward vent by the windows. Wonder how hot that
gets in the summer?
And a few others that have been mentioned.

Overall a great boat, still looking at them.

The price on this one seems way high, which is over $400US. But availability down under could be an issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the direct answer, Mystery. Only the main cabin/salon of this boat has a/c. I`d not want to run it all night. A potential turn off,which may explain the remarkably light prior use of the boat.
Have you slept in the second cabin? Was it any better?

I have four HVAC units on mine. 24k BTU in Salon, 8k in guest stateroom, 8k in master stateroom. I personally have not slept in the guest stateroom but I am assuming it would be a bit less noisy from the chine slap hitting the bow. We only run AC when the temps/humidity are unbearable for sleeping. Otherwise all windows/doors open with screens. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say we used the AC 1/3 of the time spent on a mooring ball/at anchor. The further out we went the cooler the temps and nice breeze (we spent a ton of time in Block Island). There were a couple weeks in NY that were just unbearable we had to run HVAC 12 hours per day at least.

Just looked at a new ST44, very similar. Looked at the 42 about 3 years ago, and seriously considering one, too.

The nice things:
It's fast
Good economy at slow speed
Nice open look, large windows
Starboard helm door (and believe most of the 42s have a port helm door. BIG deal
especially single handed.
Stairs, not ladders
Side door for entry
Excellent room around the engines for a boat this size
Lots of hatches that open for accessibility and storage
Nice walk around on exterior for easy docking
Looks a bit more luxurious, fancies stuff. Has it's goods and bads
(head "bowl" sink is ridiculous)
Beneteau is a HUGE boat manufacturer and overall a good reputation

Negatives:
Wet shower, HUGE negative for some folks.
It would have been so simple to build one head
with an enclosed shower (maybe some models did?)
Perhaps a tad tight in the salon, but subjective, putting two easy
chairs opposite the couch would be tight
No forward vent by the windows. Wonder how hot that
gets in the summer?
And a few others that have been mentioned.

Overall a great boat, still looking at them.

The price on this one seems way high, which is over $400US. But availability down under could be an issue.

What do you mean by no forward vent by the windows?

We spent almost 2 hours, mostly left to ourselves, going over the 2004 ST42. Definitely worth consideration. 2 200hp 3.5L Yanmars,fine for how we would use it.
Wondered about hull construction,with a little effort found this vid on how they are built. Hoped they were solid to waterline but it seems they are cored above and below. This hull would predate injection moulding from 2005 on.

I invite comment on this construction. Anyone had an issue reflecting a coring problem? I`ve seen nothing online criticizing it, except the comments on the video.
PS: Must be a discerning thinking owner, it`s fitted with a Sarca Excel.

Last edited:
What do you mean by no forward vent by the windows?

I you look at the front windows when you're standing at the helm, there is no way to open them for ventilation, nor is there a vent that cools that area. At least there wasn't one on the brand new 44 I saw, with the salesman.

I would think that it would be brutally hot in the summer. Heck my Mainship WITH a vent and the side door open is awful hot.

I you look at the front windows when you're standing at the helm, there is no way to open them for ventilation, nor is there a vent that cools that area. At least there wasn't one on the brand new 44 I saw, with the salesman.

I would think that it would be brutally hot in the summer. Heck my Mainship WITH a vent and the side door open is awful hot.

I dont think I'd want the front to open. I've been in some snotty conditions and that is just another failure point then. The windows open along the galley, across from the galley there is a side door, then there are the windows in the main salon area which open on both sides, and the finally the rear door which is three sections and two can open all the way. I agree while anchor it can get a bit stuffy unless there is a breeze but the fix is to open the hatches/windows in the lower cabin. Then you can get good airflow. Some people have installed fans to help. I kept a spare fan on my boat (primarily for my dog) and only had to use it a few days when it was brutal but I didnt want to leave the genset on while we were gone for a few hours and he was on the boat alone. There were a couple brutal weeks (as there usually are in the summer) where even with good air flow it was just way too hot. Our refrigeration was even struggling. Was 95+ degrees in the cabin. Had to run genset and HVAC and I dont think having forward windows would've helped any.

Ventilation

I`m still checking the ST42 for sale.So far,no windscreen panel opens,nor do the side windows in the saloon/main cabin. But with helm doors either side plus the wide cockpit door, there is ventilation and because of the Europa design the cockpit door and to a lesser extent the helm doors, are weather protected by overhang. My IG has the central windscreen panel hinged at the top with an adjustment support arm,I `ve not had water entry but open and close it appropriately.
As Mystery says, creating airflow from bow to cockpit is the answer. (Or maybe A/C :))
Now to get the floor up and better assess the ER, and follow through the dunny(Aussie word for toilet/head)system, from Raritan to exit.
Do the shower drains each have a drainage sump?

Last edited:
I dont think I'd want the front to open. I've been in some snotty conditions and that is just another failure point then. The windows open along the galley, across from the galley there is a side door, then there are the windows in the main salon area which open on both sides, and the finally the rear door which is three sections and two can open all the way. I agree while anchor it can get a bit stuffy unless there is a breeze but the fix is to open the hatches/windows in the lower cabin. Then you can get good airflow. Some people have installed fans to help. I kept a spare fan on my boat (primarily for my dog) and only had to use it a few days when it was brutal but I didnt want to leave the genset on while we were gone for a few hours and he was on the boat alone. There were a couple brutal weeks (as there usually are in the summer) where even with good air flow it was just way too hot. Our refrigeration was even struggling. Was 95+ degrees in the cabin. Had to run genset and HVAC and I dont think having forward windows would've helped any.

Mystery,

Good points, but the Mainship is VERY SIMILAR to the ST42 and I can tell you from experience the opening center window makes a HUGE difference. If you can't get air up there, it will be brutal.

The salesman just told me to run the AC, which is NOT an answer.

But the ST42 still has a lot of appeal to me.

I`m still checking the ST42 for sale.So far,no windscreen panel opens,nor do the side windows in the saloon/main cabin. But with helm doors either side plus the wide cockpit door, there is ventilation and because of the Europa design the cockpit door and to a lesser extent the helm doors, are weather protected by overhang. My IG has the central windscreen panel hinged at the top with an adjustment support arm,I `ve not had water entry but open and close it appropriately.
As Mystery says, creating airflow from bow to cockpit is the answer. (Or maybe A/C :))
Now to get the floor up and better assess the ER, and follow through the dunny(Aussie word for toilet/head)system, from Raritan to exit.
Do the shower drains each have a drainage sump?

I was answering about a ST44 as that was what was commented on.

Back
Top Bottom