Mini-Split Ductless A/C.. Talk me out of it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mini Splits

I didn't intend to mislead anyone and the unit i'm looking at is a seer 15 I believe I certainly didn't post a Seer 25 nor do i think it's even possible to have a 115v with a SEER number that high.

A unit was posted by another member who saw a high seer number and linked the unit not knowing it was 230v vs 115v.

These cheap $500 units are generally Seer 13-15. My rooftop coleman would be considered about half that(pulls alot of amps for 15kbtu) so in my case an improvement either way.

I don't generally run my AC when i'm not on the boat and don't live aboard.. Seer numbers aren't much of a concern to me(my genset would run it and the rest of the boat no problem/shore power). I also wouldn't bother with a 9000 btu unit over 12,000btu.

FWIW home depot sells a Chinese unit 12k btu, $699, seer 17.9.. The highest i've seen for a 12,000 BTU 115v unit is SEER 18. The units that are a higher SEER number are 230v.. Even the $1,500 Samsung units are SEER 17.

I have a lot of experience with these. For decades they have been the AC of choice in Mexico.
I have 24 of them at my hotel and restaurant, all LG units in the 18 SEER range and are more than 10 years old.
My home has 6 Mitsubishi units and are as high as 28 SEER ratings. The Mitsubishi's are the best by far, seven years parts and labor warranty.
Just thought I would share that. They can capture heat down as low as 3 degrees F. SUPER quiet and inexpensive to run.

I am getting ready for my 3rd mini split in the apartment and what is nice about them is I use the same refrige lines that were built in the walls 15 years ago and the condensate line gets inserted into a pvc pipe going to the sink drain. looking for a good 18,000 btuh with a high seer and hope not to spend over 1k.

I have a lot of experience with these. For decades they have been the AC of choice in Mexico.

I have 24 of them at my hotel and restaurant, all LG units in the 18 SEER range and are more than 10 years old.

My home has 6 Mitsubishi units and are as high as 28 SEER ratings. The Mitsubishi's are the best by far, seven years parts and labor warranty.

Just thought I would share that. They can capture heat down as low as 3 degrees F. SUPER quiet and inexpensive to run.

Do you own a hotel in Mexico? Just wondering.

"We did a fair amount of insulating because we're in Boston. Pink foam in all the ceilings and behind all the wall planks."

Sometimes the insulation will hide moisture , pull down a section and take a look on a very cold day.Water or Ice is much ungood if the overhead is plywood.

The RV folks use the blue insulation as it will drain better.

Last edited:
Just my two cents, I have 3 mini splits in my Lustron all metal house and love them. The only down side in my opinion if they fail not many know how to repair them and not a lot of replaceable parts available. But at what they sell for (cheaper ones), just replace whole unit. I bought mine at www.airconditioner.com lots of choices.

It is my belief the mini-split system will replace the ancient water cooled air cond now stuck in many new builds.

Far lower cost, purchase , install and operate plus like rooftops a modest 10 or 15 year service life with a simple R&R will allow the next step up at perhaps even lower cost.

The green gang will love the lower power consumption when used as heaters.

Last edited:
There is another way to go and get a better interior look .. if you have the space. Mitsubishi (and others) make a ducted air handler for the mini split units that is not too big and could be hidden, probably not feasible in a under 50' boat though. This would get read of the less than pleasant interior head unit. Keep in mind the units can loose efficiency if stuffed in too small of space without adequate air circulation.[…]

HOLLYWOOD

Just looked at this. 12k up to 36k BTU, up to 18 SEER. Can be installed on its side or vertically, with dimensions of 17x22x40 inches for the 12k BTU. For ducted on a larger boat I’m thinking you’d need more than that, the largest at 36k BTU is about 21x22x40 inches. All are 220V though. They also can be fitted with an optional electric heating kit like the wall or floor mounts. Very intriguing, though with the total system you are looking north of $5k for the 36k BTU or about $2,500 for 12k BTU, with the heat pump unit and associated parts and controls.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom