Lockable deck fill cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hey all,
Just asking if anyone has any experience with lockable deck fills?
I see several designs out there but curious how they hold up in a Marine environment.
My concern is diesel fuel theft if the boat is left in various places unattended.
Any input?
Thank you.
Taras

I removed a fuel tank once. I put a locking cap on it and locked it so no one would make an oops. I then put locking caps on the rest of the fills to match but never locked them. So I’m not really being helpful. I can say I never saw any corrosion issues on the locking caps as they were all stainless or plastic.

My first thought was, "yes, a locking fill cap makes sense". My second thought was,"if I'm worried about fuel theft, need to worry about what else might get stolen ". Last thing I want to do is piss off a fuel thief and get my boat vandalized.

Ted

When I bought the boat, the dock side fuel tank was heavily contaminated with water, other side was fine...

If the PO pissed off a former girlfriend, or someone at the dockside bar... ?

Way too easy?

FWIW

I've never seen a locking fuel cap on a boat, but I used to lock up my outboard with a stainless padlock and never had any issues... until I lost the key.
Now I don't bother.

When I bought the boat, the dock side fuel tank was heavily contaminated with water, other side was fine...

Way too easy?

FWIW

or a bad O-ring.

I've never seen a locking fuel cap on a boat, but I used to lock up my outboard with a stainless padlock and never had any issues... until I lost the key.
Now I don't bother.

Combination padlocks will solve that missing key problem. Make all lock with the same combination.

I don't worry about losing a padlock key. My Dremel tool with a fiber disk will unlock it in less than 30 seconds.

Ted

or a bad O-ring.

Nope, old fashioned raised, trip over 'em, chrome monogrammed CC fuel caps and pipe, drop into steel barrel style tanks. No where for water to run, sit or flow.

I wondered and wondered how the heck... it was when we shifted to the opposite finger dock for the winter, that the potential and limitation dawned on me.

I know of a rally car which had sugar put in the gas tank... no accident there.
Unless the seller attracted haters a defective O ring sounds more plausible.

As Ted says in post# 3, a lot more to steal on a boat than fuel. If I was worried about fuel theft, I'd move the boat to a more secure location. Our BC marina is very secure, never heard of a fuel theft. When cruising AK frontier justice is quite evident, good.

Has anyone heard of this type of fuel theft?

I have heard of the gas tanks being stolen from dinghies but not the diesel tanks being drained. Lot easier I would think to steal from a truck.

"Last thing I want to do is piss off a fuel thief and get my boat vandalized."

If you cant steal it, DESTROY it is a common motto.

Here in the Hurricane Hole someone was stealing gas from cars with a hose .

One enterprising lady left an ancient 6 gal outboard tank partially hidden.

It grew legs as expected and the entire neighborhood cheered as the offending car was towed away.

At cost vs weight of diesel fuel, theft is highly unlikely. There is a reason you rarely see a fuel tank much larger than 5 gallons. Sure a few on rollers, but not hug tanks.

Unless someone can pull a truck with a tank up to your boat, they will hobbling down the dock repeatedly with a 5-gallon tank in each hand.

Otherwise, they are pulling a boat up to offload diesel. This is fairly conspicuous as well. IF they can afford a boat large enough to steal diesel, do they need to steal diesel??

This is not a real-world crime IMHO.

A few years back when gas peaked in price, a few boaters including one inshore charter guy claimed stolen gasoline (not little tanks).

And wanting a free tow wasnt really a good idea as much as we charged for a 5 gallon container.

Can't remember any diesel thefts through my boating years.

Here's what you're looking for...
TANK LOCK - Home

They work exceptionally well, come in a variety of sizes, can be keyed alike so you only need to keep track of one key, they're flush mounted so no tripping hazard.

I have them on my boat and love 'em.

A couple of years ago I had over 60 gallons of fuel pumped out of my boat while in storage at a marina in New Baltimore,NY. I got a couple of these Stanco GBB-01 Gas Bandit Blocker. It's a funnel shape spring that goes i9nto the filler hose.
I think the fuel theft might have been an inside job. Moved to a different marina right after I found out about it.

My concern is not theft, but vandelism. Very easy for someone to dump some sugar or whatever in the tanks and wreak havoc.

The Tank Lock product is shown as gas, and doesn’t look all that robust in the photos.

Any other ideas?

Not sure I am concerned enough about doing anything about it, just curious what is out there.

Last edited:
"Any other ideas?"

We removed the on deck fill , cut the hole area open to accept a 6 inch bronze deck plate .
We installed a pipe nipple in the cut down fill hose and installed a std plumbing cap.

Advantage , deck water rain or washing can not access the fuel tank.

Most thieves will not locate fuel fill , or have the proper wrench to remove the flush deck plate. Even if the deck plate is lost the cap does not allow water to enter the fuel fill pipe.

If its not walked on a budget plastic deck plate would work as well.

The Tank Lock product is shown as gas, and doesn’t look all that robust in the photos.
Fletcher, I have them on my boat and they are very robust and well made. I have diesels and the threat of vandalism is the reason I did it.

Key locks?
First thing, get more keys made and put them away in a secure place with your extra ignition keys.

Thanks for the website link guys, we'll follow it up.
Here in Europe you can only use white road diesel in any leisure craft, currently at Euro 1.40 a litre (more from a marine pump) you can buy a cheap 12v fuel transfer pump online so its not beyond the realms of possibility for some unscrupulous 'bar steward' to moor alongside and help themselves.
We've seen similar fill pipe insert anti-theft devices on the Dutch Vetus website.

The Tank Lock did not come up on my web search so I really appreciate you providing that link.
That is indeed what I’m looking for.
Super easy to transfer pump 100’s of gallons of diesel to another boat and at the price of diesel, well worth the $69 investment ??
Thank you,
Taras

Fletcher, I have them on my boat and they are very robust and well made. I have diesels and the threat of vandalism is the reason I did it.

Pictures can be deceiving, so ignore my comments. Glad they are working for you. I may do it one of these days as well.

Just as a matter of interest.
You know how tight the Irish are ? Long arms, deep pockets and you can hear their ass squeak when they walk, always on the lookout for a good deal !
OK here's a site that may prove useful to you, its called www.wish.com it's an online retail site as well as the usual crap it also sells some very useful marine items very cheap. Fuel transfer pumps, Stainless Steel hatch lifting handles, 8KW diesel heaters, bilge pumps with built in float switch, diesel water heaters, stainless press studs for making your own covers and LED lights for your cupboards. Caveat Emptor, some of the things like drill attachment cutters etc only last 4/5 times but they're so cheap you can afford to bin 'em.
Having said that I've bought a lot of stuff of them for our boat and never had to return it and no complaints.
Having said that I would ask that you support commercial members on here wherever possible, as most of them are US based its not practical for me living in Europe because of shipping charges.

Last edited:
I do know of guys that lost substantial fuel from their vessel via someone pumping their tank into the other vessel. It looks to be relatively easy to do with a good transfer pump.

If your keeping your vessel in a marina that transients travel through a locking cap makes sense. My insurance covered fuel thief it you had a way to lock your filler. Seeing as I carried 600 gallons it made sense. This insurance company was a co-op owned by commercial fishermen.

I am moored in a different marina now with security 24/7 so haven't put in locking caps on my new to me sport vessel.

I do know of guys that lost substantial fuel from their vessel via someone pumping their tank into the other vessel. It looks to be relatively easy to do with a good transfer pump.

If your keeping your vessel in a marina that transients travel through a locking cap makes sense. My insurance covered fuel thief it you had a way to lock your filler. Seeing as I carried 600 gallons it made sense. This insurance company was a co-op owned by commercial fishermen.

I am moored in a different marina now with security 24/7 so haven't put in locking caps on my new to me sport vessel.

I am docked in a gated marina. Both dock boxes were broken into, my electric scooter was stolen, boat broken into while I was asleep, stole my wallet and ID and money stolen. And yes, we have roving security.
It is just a matter of figuring out the number of minutes between the passing security..... break in and either hide or finish up before security next passing.

Diesel Theft

At cost vs weight of diesel fuel, theft is highly unlikely. There is a reason you rarely see a fuel tank much larger than 5 gallons. Sure a few on rollers, but not hug tanks.

Unless someone can pull a truck with a tank up to your boat, they will hobbling down the dock repeatedly with a 5-gallon tank in each hand.

Otherwise, they are pulling a boat up to offload diesel. This is fairly conspicuous as well. IF they can afford a boat large enough to steal diesel, do they need to steal diesel??

This is not a real-world crime IMHO.

$1000 of diesel was stolen from our boat in a Maine harbor last year. Nothing else was stolen and the boat wasn't otherwise vandalized.

Whilst 99.9% of the boating community are a lovely helpful polite bunch of folks I'm afraid its a sign of the modern times that the odd bad apple turns up.
I highly recommend justice Irish style (pick shaft handle) if you catch a thief it helps them to see the error of their ways..

Here's a true story about a thieving boater.

About 8 years ago a French man, Pascal, and his girlfriend were living in a place called Vias on the canal du Midi in the South of France on a 26' sailboat
Usual stuff, scruffy boat, heavy drinker a bar room expert and gabby, tapping into the electric and selling it to passing tourist boats, you get the picture.
Anyway this guy, Pascal, kept saying he was coming into money and eventually he did, he flew to America and bought a 38' sailing boat, then his girlfriend locked up the little sailboat and flew over to join him in the US of A.

Before I joined this forum I used to post on a sister site called 'Cruiser Forum' which as you know is mostly for sailing guys, to cut a long story short this guy, Pascal and his lady friend kept getting caught shoplifting/stealing until eventually it got so bad they had to leave the US before the sheriffs put him away.
So they gave the two fingered salute to the good folks in the US of A and sailed off down to the Bahama's and when going into a port down there they made a cock up of the navigation to the port approaches and they ran firmly aground.
Unable to get a tow or free themselves they called the harbour masters office by radio to get rescued but the word had been passed down, when they were eventually rescued they were arrested on the spot and thrown in jail, the boat and all their belongings were impounded (including passports) and they were deported under arrest after 6 months in jail.
This was all reported at various times on 'Cruiser Forum' by other sailors who'd had the misfortune to come across them on their travels.

They arrived back in France with nothing more than the clothes they stood up in and bummed a lift back to their sail boat to start over, in their absence their boat, looking abandoned, attracted other like minded thieves who'd stripped it bare.
When they stole the toilet the thieves simply cut the pipes and the boat sank.
The local authority lifted it out of the canal as a navigation hazard and cut it up into transportable pieces by the time Pascal and his girlfriend arrived back.
I happened to be there to see his return and I will never forget the expression on their faces. He was incandescent with rage, his girlfriend was wailing and crying. Other liveaboards, not familiar with the background, were commiserating them and I calmly recounted to him and the group the tales of his visit to the States and his ignominious return.
I've a deep code of honour and not a vindictive person but on that occasion I felt that by telling Pascal and his wife of their shameful conduct, on behalf of all those unknown shopkeepers and sailors in the United States who'd been wronged by Pascal and his wife that justice had been served in front of the assembled group.
They were shunned by the boating fraternity and last heard they were suffering ill health and living in social housing.
Karma !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom