TF Gathering in SE Florida 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So many points to ponder.

Thinking about Ted’s comment about the barbecue joint I really don’t remember how good the food was but I throughly my time and back at the boat Watfa and I discussed how enjoyable these times are with these people who gather together for no other reason other than we all share the love of boats and cruising. Nobody looking for an advantage over another, all just enjoying each other’s company.

Certainly if one wants to attend there is no reason not too. Everything is close including accommodations, restaurants plus there are enough boats that you can store your gear where it will be safe.

Don gets all the ladies! True, I have no idea why but he does drive a big bus. They are all over him like white on rice.

Admonished for your social practices Jack? No way, maybe Steve’s social practices are questionable.

It really is a fun time and even more enjoyable when you get to put people to trawler forum names. RT we need you!

At the risk of beating a thoroughly dead horse, let me explain why your restaurant idea is a non starter. The gathering could probably be described as a family reunion picnic. We get together, talk and mingle for an hour or two on someone's boat, then usually walk together to a casual dinner where we again can mingle and move around while eating dinner. The meal isn't the focus, the talking and mingling is the focus. Sitting in a a restaurant for a couple of hours would total destroy the great interaction we have that first night. The bar-b-que place we visit has a couple of picnic tables we gather at. Dinner is less than 45 minutes, and then we walk and talk back to the marina. 2+ hours in a stuffy noisy restaurant would totally destroy the friendly interaction of the first night.

Ted

Wifey B: Noted, Ted. Although with a group your size and prior arrangements with a restaurant you can often get a private room or at least your own private section. When we take a group of us into a restaurant, it is far from stuffy or preventing interaction. A lot of giggling and laughing and cross table talk. I do understand though that the BBQ place is more about the social gathering than the meal itself. I'm sure the best meal of the entire trip is still Watfa's and not even anything else a close 2nd. :)

You might want to try Prosecco. First tried it in Venice, Italy where the restaurant owner/manger provided some for free. (We were repeat customers.) :)

Wifey B: Lighter and less yeasty than Cava or Champagne because it's fermented in steel tanks rather than bottles. I'm by far not a wine expert or connoisseur but find it just like another flavor or brand. But then I developed my taste for Champagne on Korbel and Andre, not on Dom Perignon and Cristal, only graduating to finer Champagne's much later in life. :)

Since this "bash" was started, I really wanted to go! Even my wife suggested that I attend (which caused me to ponder my decision.:ermm:) So this year I thought I might actually pull the trigger and go until I heard the Al was not going. What's up with that? It appears that going "stag" isn't really what this thing is all about & there has been very little info on where to stay! Soooo, I guess I'll have to experience it vicariously through TF again. :popcorn:

I'm feeling guilty here, Walt. Are you asking me to be your TF date?

I went stag last year and highly recommend it. No unnecessary adult supervision for a few days is refreshing! Great socializing with imaginary friends is icing on the cake of life!

Al, you went stag last year? I thought you stole Jack’s date Steve. And I thought you were drinking for two!

WALT!!!! COME ON MAN!!! We would love to have you. I fully believe you would have a blast!!!

We would like to make the gathering, and have it on our schedule. Currently docked at Ft Meyers Yacht Basin, and would like to leave mid week to miss weekend warriors.

Have not made trip across, is anyone going our direction and timing we could follow?

May schedule bottom job at River Forest before or after gathering.

Choices

It’s an easy trip that I’ve made many times. Well marked. I draw five feet and never had a problem.

The only person I know coming from the west coast is Ted (Very Slow Hand) who has also done the trip many times. I think he is planning on arriving Wednesday.

We would like to make the gathering, and have it on our schedule. Currently docked at Ft Meyers Yacht Basin, and would like to leave mid week to miss weekend warriors.

Have not made trip across, is anyone going our direction and timing we could follow?

Do you have a reservation yet? If you're planning on staying at the marina, that probably needs to be arranged first. I'm going over a little early. Will leave on the 18th, will over night between the Ortona and Moore Haven locks, then over night in Stuart, and arrive at Fort Pierce on the 20th. You're more than welcome to travel with me, but I must warn you, I travel at a blistering 7 knots and speed up for no one, not even Irv. :rolleyes: Btw, I'm just down the river from you at Gulf Harbor yacht club.

Ted

Last edited:
Wish I could make it again this year but real life, alas, intrudes.

Besides, while Don was kind enough to let me crash in his spare berth last year, I figured he might need it . . . based on all the action he was getting. :socool:

Y’all have fun, but try not to leave the marina like last time.

Attachments

• CD3A4587-15B3-45BA-8EE6-FF25BE880823.jpg
    CD3A4587-15B3-45BA-8EE6-FF25BE880823.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 28
WALT!!!! COME ON MAN!!! We would love to have you. I fully believe you would have a blast!!!

Walt is a friendly, generous, and interesting man. When we returned from an overseas cruise returning to San Diego, he bought us lunch and gave us a tour of some naval sites, on short notice! He would be a great contributor to everyone's enjoyment. Go, Walt, go!

Last edited:
Ted

No worries this year, I bought a 20 foot sea anchor so dragging it 50 feet behind my boat and using one engine at idle I should be about 7 knots. Now to find a good depth to deploy the damn thing. LOL

Hope you can make it. Do call the Fort Pierce City Marina for reservation. Be sure to tell them you are with the Trawler Forum group so they can try to get you in to the group docking space.

Having never been to a gathering I have a few questions.
What is format, just hanger out on the docks, seminars etc.
What are the dates
Where and how do you register
Do you have to have a boat on site to attend

Thanks

What are the dates

Thanks

Nothing regimented.
Most open ended days with trips to local attractions like Navy Seal Museum or a large used/surplus boat part warehouse.
Cocktail hrs followed by walk to dinners but some cocktail hrs by Lena/Larry and Wafta/Irv are dinners for most.
No boat or registration required.
Let it be known you are coming, if by boat marina must know.
21-23 of Feb, but many will be around a day or two before and afterward.

What are the dates

Thanks
Probably best described as a gathering of like minded boating friends. We get together for happy hour and dinner some nights. Occasionally talk about boats. :rolleyes:
No seminars, occasional trips to local attractions such as Marine Liquidators and the Navy Seal museum.
February 21 -23
No registration. If coming by boat, make a reservation at the marina. You can also stay in a hotel of your choosing. Don't need a boat on site to attend.

Ted

There is also a drawing for lots of goodies after the meal on Watfa’s boat, some good stuff again this year. Larry, BTW Watfa is bringing Lena’s pillows again this year.

Watfa will need an approximate count so she can prepare the correct amount of food. Plenty of booze if Ted can furnish the ice once again.

It is official. That pretty little girl and I will be there!!!!

Will not be able to make it this year, that weekend is the start of Mardi Gras week. Hope to make it next year. ALL HAVE FUN

OK, we have decided to join the fun and have booked an Airbnb berth on a sailing catamaran moored at Ft Pierce City Marina. Here is a pic of the boat:

74a8c758-a59e-4b69-aeab-f66944dc12f0.jpg

So could someone who is in the know PM me their cell phone number so I can contact them to figure out what is going on when we get there. Joan and I will be there Friday night and Saturday night, arriving about lunch time Friday.

David

Last edited:
Thanks to the four who responded so far, I think I can now find the TF crowd.

David

David. You can have my cell if I knew how to private message but the best way to find me and the food Saturday night is to look for a very bright light in the sky, that would be the reflection off Ted’s Very Slow Hand, I willbe the dirty boat near his. See you there on the floating dock.

Thanks to the four who responded so far, I think I can now find the TF crowd.

David

PM me, I will send you my email to make comms easier.

This is my 6th year here from a month to 3 months this year.

I will help in any way I can.

Scott said “I will help in any way I can”. Great Scott bring your wax I want you to make my boat look like Ted’s. ��. Thanks.

My wax is 60 grit. You sure you want my help?

I have been known to detail my boats also. Every third one. :)

Back
Top Bottom