New member and what kind of animal is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived in Friday Harbor for almost 10 years (after Jay Benford had moved), and always wanted to see one of these "ferries" in real life. I read Jay's books, and love many of his designs. You have built a truly amazing vessel, Whistledoc. As it is hard to "pigeonhole" such an animal, I think you've earned the right to call her whaever you want. The term "riverboat" certainly works for me, as it conjures up a more romantic image of traveling by America's riverways. And your Annie is gorgeous, befitting of both the term (riverboat) and the romantic imagery. Well done!

Ron--- When you're done screwing around with your boat you are more than welcome to come and redo the interior of ours.

Has your boat ever been featured in a magazine? I would think a magazine like WoodenBoat would fall all over themselves to do a feature article about your accomplishment (if they haven't done so already). And I'm sure the woodworking magazines would be interested in your accomplishments, too.

Marin wrote:
I would think a magazine like WoodenBoat would fall all over themselves to do a feature article about your accomplishment (if they haven't done so already).
If her hull is wood, or wood composite, they would. If not, then no. Shame on them if they won't though, as she surely is a beautiful boat with exquisite craftmanship.

Ron said in his original post that the boat was built using the WEST system. By which I take it to mean that the entire boat including the hull is wood.

Marin wrote:
Ron--- Did you build the furniture, too?

Built everything except the dining room chairs. Was going to build them to match the table. Took my camera and went to a Danich Modern furniture store in Houston and was going to take a bunch of pictures of chairs and then go home and design and build the chairs. They had these iin stock and on sale. With the price teak at $17 a board foot I could hardly buy the lumber for what the finished product cost. besides I was getting towards the end of the project and I figured it would take me six months to built them and if we bought them I would be six months closer to getting Annie in the water. Everything else in the boat I pretty much did...electrical, plumbing, etc. My wife did all of the stained glass. Can't tell from the pics but all 44 windows in the boat are beveled,tinted and tempered.

Marin wrote:
Ron--- When you're done screwing around with your boat you are more than welcome to come and redo the interior of ours.

Has your boat ever been featured in a magazine? I would think a magazine like WoodenBoat would fall all over themselves to do a feature article about your accomplishment (if they haven't done so already). And I'm sure the woodworking magazines would be interested in your accomplishments, too.

When she was launched I sent Wooden Boat some images and a few pages of dialog. They weren't interested but did put a small photo in their "launchings" page.she's been in a bunch of newspaper articles and local magazines. Yrb

Marin wrote:

Doubt I will ever be done screwing around with her. Keeping the bright work up is a monumental task. She has 44 windows and every year she gets 4-5 coats of varnish. Takes a week to do the windows and that is only a small part of the brightwok

Whistledoc wrote:

When she was launched I sent Wooden Boat some images and a few pages of dialog. They weren't interested...
*They are truly fools then.

Marin wrote:
Ron said in his original post that the boat was built using the WEST system. By which I take it to mean that the entire boat including the hull is wood.

That's correct....all wood. Framing is Douglass fir. Hull is 2layers of 5/8" marine ply glued and screwed together. All plywood joints are scarfed and glues. Bulkheads are 1/2" ply . FFloors and cabin tops are two layers of 1/2" marine ply. All exterior surfaces are covered with Dynel which is a modified acrylic fabric. Dynel is laid up in epoxy and then recoated with 4-5 coats of epoxy and then he fairing and sanding began. All interior is solid teak, maple, and padauk from Costa Rica. No plywood inside..All solid lumber construction.

Mea culpa. I should have read more closely. Next time I see Jon Wilson or Matt Murphy I'll give you a plug (except then you may never get in the mag).

Ron,

About how many fasteners/bolts/screws per square foot to hold the two 5/8ths pcs of ply together? I'm thinking of building a boat w a lot of twist in the fwd sections on the topsides of the hull. Two panels would twist better. Did you use epoxy between the two? Do you frequent BoatDesign.net? Too many questions I spoze.

Eric Henning

Ron,
Beauty of a riverboat. Having spent 15 years building mine, I have a pretty good idea about what takes to compete.
Sure is nice to finally get out and enjoy your efforts.

Dawg,

Love your hawse hole and Danforth. Like your special design radar arch too. Much better looking than mine also home made. Like your colors and above WL design as well. Where in Canada are you?? Let's see some better pics*
smile.gif

Eric Henning

Thanks Eric,
I'm just new here and will eventually figure out how to post a few more pics on another thread so not to hijack Rons.
I do my boating mostly on Lake Erie but have now begun to venture a bit farther north.

Dave

Dave--- I agree with Eric 100%. From your avatar photo you have a very fine design there. Is it your own, a published design, or an adaptation of a published design? And yes, do post some photos of the boat inside and out when you get a chance.

Welcome aboard Dave.. I agree.. can't wait to see more pictures as well.

Don't suppose you are in this picture are you? or one of those belong to you? My buddy was there last summer and said it was a great time.

Elwin*

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:27:14 PM

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 10:29:09 PM

Attachments

• port dover ont.jpg
    port dover ont.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 100
  • port dover 2.jpg
    port dover 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi Eric...

Can't remember exactly. Probably about one every 6 inches. In areas where ther was a lot of bend we used 2.5" screws into the frames. In areas where there was no bend we used 1" screws jus t holding the two layers together. Once the epoxy kicked off the fasteners didn't do anything and*I debated wheter or not to pull them. Ended up leaving them in because it would have been a lot of work to pull them and then have to go back and fill the holes. Bought stainless square drive screws from a company by the name of McFeeleys.*They specialize is square drive and star drive stuff.

Doc, Welcome aboard!!!! I live about 2 miles from where you built your boat. I would drive past it and pull off of 146 and drive around your shed and check it out all the time. And then one day, SHE WAS GONE!!! I was excited that I would finally see her where she belonged...in the water!!! One day I was out dinking with my wife and you were on board with your wife over at Seabrook Shipyard in the covered slips. You and I got to talking and you invited us aboard and stuck a beer in our hands and gave us a tour. I know you probably don't remember because I am sure you give many tours, but I do remember your kindness and graciousness to have us aboard. Thanks again, she is a beauty!!! And folks, I know the pictures look amazing but she looks even better in person!

How about "Galveston Bay Coaster"???...:)

Hi WhistleDoc!* Welcome aboard. I may have been with Baker when we toured your boat. I too remember driving by your project just off of 146 in Bacliff wondering when you were going to finish it. When I first saw it in the water I was amazed.

Folks, if you ever get a chance to see "Annie", do it! You have got to see this boat.

If you are as good of a doctor as you are a boat builder you must come out of retirement so that you can cure cancer!

Again, welcome aboard!
smile.gif

Don't you just love this website! Just when you think you've seen everything, out of the closet comes Doc with a boat that defies description, and then a feedback from Dawg and his own unique vessel. Doc, I don't know what to call your boat, but Florida Bay Coasters and Jay Benfield designs have always been a favorite of mine. As you can see in my Avitar, I have a mini-version of such a boat. But Anne.....well, it's just spectacular, and no less than an American dream. Awesome work, huge commitment. Wish it was mine.

Dawg....can't wait to see those pics.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone about the other woman in my life... Annie.* Sort of a story behind the name. When it takes 16 years to build a boat I would see people at the hardware store and the chandleries that I didn't see very often. They knew I had gone off the deep end and was building this monstrosity of a boat* in* Bacliff...just down the road. They would ask, "... how's the boat coming? When you going to launch her?"* My rubber stamp answer was "two more years".** Well that went on for about 10 years and then it came time to paint the name on the transom and we decided "two more years' was a very appropriate name for the boat".* About that time my mother passed sway. She had had a pretty severe stroke and had been in nursing home for 8 years. I would go over to the nursing hime and once a week or so we would take her out of the nursing* to eat and sometimes I would take her by the boat. . Not sure how cognizant of things she was but she knew this was my dream. I couldn't get her up on the boat but I would tell her how it was coming and all of the projects I had going on and she got excited and seemed to understand.* When I lost mom I decided that Annie was a good name for the boat. That was my mother's name. Mom worked two jobs to help put me though medical school. So in a way "Annie" is a tribute to my mother. And besides she sorta looks like my mother ...sorta plump in the middle and round at both ends.* This is a little detail. Put the name in the floor in the main salon.

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 01:50:56 PM

Attachments

• dining room floor 12.jpg
    dining room floor 12.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 111
  • dscf1542.jpg
    dscf1542.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 115
Whistledoc wrote:
When I lost mom I decided that Annie was a good name for the boat. That was my mother's name. Mom worked two jobs to help put me though medical school. So in a way "Annie" is a tribute to my mother.
*Very cool.

Ron, my late wife, my mother, my mother-in-law, a niece, and my wife's grandmother were all named Annie. *I wanted to use it on our boat, but my wife wouldn't let me for some reason. *I always thought it a great name. *Stille do.

Wonderful work you have done. *Bring it back to Chattanooga.

The name Anne is not only cool, it seems so appropriate for its character. *Sixteen years of creative effort though! *One has to wonder what kind of boat is worth sixteen years of loving labor. *I think you've got it.

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 03:48:19 PM

Our boat approves of the name, but is more than a bit jealous of being so outshone.

I'd use the handle "Smile Maker". Thats the one I use when I'm riding my sidecar and I get the usual "What is it?"

Whistledoc wrote:
Thanks for the kind words from everyone about the other woman in my life... Annie.* Sort of a story behind the name. When it takes 16 years to build a boat I would see people at the hardware store and the chandleries that I didn't see very often. They knew I had gone off the deep end and was building this monstrosity of a boat* in* Bacliff...just down the road. They would ask, "... how's the boat coming? When you going to launch her?"* My rubber stamp answer was "two more years".** Well that went on for about 10 years and then it came time to paint the name on the transom and we decided "two more years' was a very appropriate name for the boat".* About that time my mother passed sway. She had had a pretty severe stroke and had been in nursing home for 8 years. I would go over to the nursing hime and once a week or so we would take her out of the nursing* to eat and sometimes I would take her by the boat. . Not sure how cognizant of things she was but she knew this was my dream. I couldn't get her up on the boat but I would tell her how it was coming and all of the projects I had going on and she got excited and seemed to understand.* When I lost mom I decided that Annie was a good name for the boat. That was my mother's name. Mom worked two jobs to help put me though medical school. So in a way "Annie" is a tribute to my mother. And besides she sorta looks like my mother ...sorta plump in the middle and round at both ends.* This is a little detail. Put the name in the floor in the main salon.

-- Edited by Whistledoc on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 01:50:56 PM
*Your story makes a remarkable boat even more remarkable. *Wow- so impressed!

2DASEA: Another fantastic looking boat there. Cheesh....where are all these things coming from.

If your boat looks a little like your mother, she was a beautiful woman. You honored her nicely.

George

METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC

Thanks George!

She was a neat lady. Miss her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom