Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is a Benford design. 38 ft Tug .

Attachments

• 7C46CA71-BBDB-471E-AAC0-1EA8E1C1DC60.jpg
    7C46CA71-BBDB-471E-AAC0-1EA8E1C1DC60.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 83
Shipping the build plans from overseas has to be less expensive than shipping the parts.

As a (former) Dutchman I have an emotional attachment to these designs.... What you're saying has crossed my mind. Problem is it's all metric and designed to optimize their stock sizes. You'd have to rework it for our lovely system.

Looks great. A great looper. Just dont plan on towing water skiers. SMIRK
When you buy it or build it and bring it to the States, send a notice and we will all come look at it. Sure would have been nice to have more interior pictures. SHRUG
If it is designed to 'live' in the canals, why the high bow?
Think of all the room you have for solar panels.
Hmmm, no side decks or walk ways. How does one go forward? I do not see facilities to go over the top via the pilot house. I guess a door in the fwd stateroom?

I wish I could afford to buy or build one of these.

It has side decks. The pic doesn't show them very well. The blue makes it look as if the cabin goes all the way to the gunnel. The top is walkable being that it's an all steel vessel. There is also a door and steps that lead up to the forward deck. This type of barge is made more for river and coastal work as well as the European canals. She would never make through the UK canals. Those require a 6'10" beam max.

As a (former) Dutchman I have an emotional attachment to these designs.... What you're saying has crossed my mind. Problem is it's all metric and designed to optimize their stock sizes. You'd have to rework it for our lovely system.
I've seen some of the old riveted barges up for grabs for less than $10,000 US. They would need a lot of work before systems and interior could go in. I'm almost afraid to inquire about having the steel lazer cut to build a 30 to 40-foot Dutch barge with a 10 to 12 foot beam. Steel is getting really expensive in the states. I would have to tune up my old welder and get a really high-quality extension cord for it.

Last edited:
I like that one also. Wonder how all that pretty orange paint will stay stuck to that aluminum.

I didn’t catch the cruising speed. Is it fast like the Dashew boats?
If it was prepared and primed right, it should hold on there a while.

If it was prepared and primed right, it should hold on there a while.

Maybe so. I have some aluminum framed windows on my boat that had bad flaking problems after 9 years, so I just sanded them down on the outside and left them uncoated.

Is that a decent time period for paint adhesion to aluminum? I don’t have any prior experience so no baseline to judge from.

Maybe so. I have some aluminum framed windows on my boat that had bad flaking problems after 9 years, so I just sanded them down on the outside and left them uncoated.

Is that a decent time period for paint adhesion to aluminum? I don’t have any prior experience so no baseline to judge from.

9 years on a boat is pretty good especial if the boat is left outside year round without anything covering it like a boat house or covered rack storage.

Looks great. A great looper. Just dont plan on towing water skiers. SMIRK
When you buy it or build it and bring it to the States, send a notice and we will all come look at it. Sure would have been nice to have more interior pictures. SHRUG
If it is designed to 'live' in the canals, why the high bow?
Think of all the room you have for solar panels.
Hmmm, no side decks or walk ways. How does one go forward? I do not see facilities to go over the top via the pilot house. I guess a door in the fwd stateroom?
Here is the 40ft version (Steel Away) of the boat (Amy) I posted earlier with some build pics and interior pics.

Looks great. When are you going to take us all for a boat ride?

This beauty came motoring up the St Johns today. I believe it is a 141' Christensen named La Sirena. Just in case anyone has some spare change from winning Powerball...

Attachments

• La Sirena.jpg
    La Sirena.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 111
This beauty came motoring up the St Johns today. I believe it is a 141' Christensen named La Sirena. Just in case anyone has some spare change from winning Powerball...

Seems to have Feadship superstructure design attributes??

Re 6498. I guess I'm not a connoisseur. Big boat, all right - but the topside looks "cluttered" for want of a better word.

Another Interesting Boat..

I’ve seen most of the boats in our area, except for this one. Tussler drove by today. They added a nice swim platform to get to the toys easier.

Attachments

• C39E5EF7-B45A-4AFB-A9A2-887166E3F714.jpg
    C39E5EF7-B45A-4AFB-A9A2-887166E3F714.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 237
Is that netting on outriggers? What for? Is it just a people hangout.
It does appear they have heavily optimized that boat for creature comforts. Looks like fun.

The ship's log ..... with some searching it can be found. I know this because I copied the USS Nautilus's ship's log when they went under the north pole. He was on board but, I did not get the log to him till after he died. His family was more than happy to get that part of history. All those on board were able to sign the ship's log.

Start with Annapolis.... I believe all US Navy ship's logs are transferred there upon the retirement of the ship.

The work boat is in yard and this monster of an ocean tog is hauled out across from us.

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_112656498.jpg
    IMG_20181212_112656498.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 110
Is that netting on outriggers? What for? Is it just a people hangout.
It does appear they have heavily optimized that boat for creature comforts. Looks like fun.

Yes, that is netting. It caught my eye as well. It would be fun to lay across it while out. The reconfigured swim step is huge, and set up for access to paddle boards, swimming, etc. They definitely had water sports in mind during the rebuild. Interesting to read her history. It is great that people make the investment to keep these old boats alive.

Yes, that is netting. It caught my eye as well. It would be fun to lay across it while out. The reconfigured swim step is huge, and set up for access to paddle boards, swimming, etc. They definitely had water sports in mind during the rebuild. Interesting to read her history. It is great that people make the investment to keep these old boats alive.

"... great that people make the investment to keep these old boats alive."

That is true!! :thumb:

In addition, but in a lesser height of aplomb - > nearly all on TF are investing to keep our older boats afloat!! :lol: :dance:

Not your usual "Interesting Boat", this is the "South Steyne",an historic and I think beautiful former Sydney ferry, which steamed to Australia on its own bottom from the UK where it was built, in I think 1938. It operated on the Sydney Manly route until a fire, the Govt owners chose not to repair it. It then passed through several hands and restoration attempts before the current owner brought it back to former glory. A great piece of Sydney maritime history, at home on its usual run, or transiting open waters.
https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/1950-FERRY-Large-Capacity-Function-Ferry/SSE-AD-4873323/?cr=1&psq=%28%28Service%3D%5BBoatsales%5D%26BoatType%3D%5BPower%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20used%20boats%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20new%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20used%20boats%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%5D%29%29&pso=0&pss=~Length

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom