the 38' and the 42' ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martymar

Does anyone no which Californian came first? Did they stretch the mold for the 42's or cut the forty two mold for the 38s? There seems to be more forty=two's around:confused: Thanks

Last edited:
38s and 42s

Sorry about that I was on the Californian site earlier so it's Californian. Thanks

Does anyone no which came first? Did they stretch the mold for the 42's or cut the forty two mold for the 38s? There seems to be more forty=two's around:confused: Thanks

Good question, but I think it was the 38'. The 42's, in the 70's at least, had a seam 4' ahead of the transom that ran from side to side. Which looks like they used a two piece hull mold to make a 38' mold into a 42' or maybe they did that so they could use one mold for both lengths, who knows. Marshall never did anything 100% the same way all the time.

I've also seen a factory single engine 42' without flybridge. And a 70's 38' Californian single engine gillnet commercial fishing boat. Experimentation didn't seem to both them.

I would double check that with FlyWright though, he might know. He had a one on one conversation with Mr. Marshall at one time.

Last edited:
Larry, I defer to you on that b/c you've been following them for much longer than me. My conversation years ago with Gil and Jule Marshall was more in line with the 34 LRC, not touching on the larger Californians.

You raise a good point though. Even though these were "production' boats, they were each customized to owner specs and no two seem to be the same.

Here's a new article I just found from 2010 that some may find interesting. It mentions the 42 being a big success for them.
How may 42s were made, do we know?

It discusses the family and their start in California. In the end, it looks like the poor economy of 2006-2016, revised tax policies and the high cost of operating in CA accelerated their descent into bankruptcy. By 2006, their production dropped by 1/3 and their staffing reduced by 80% from what it was in the 90s.

I'm looking to purchase a 42' (pending inspections and sea trial) and I'm convinced that it's a 38' with a 5' transom.
Should be able to take a better look at seams and any other evidence this weekend (if my initial offer isn't rejected)

My old 42' also had the seam in the gelcoat. The PO told me it was because they used the same mold for the 38 as the 42, but with an extension. So, I'd guess the 42' didn't come before the 38'. Just another data point consistent withbthe others who have already spoken.

I'm looking to purchase a 42' (pending inspections and sea trial) and I'm convinced that it's a 38' with a 5' transom.
Should be able to take a better look at seams and any other evidence this weekend (if my initial offer isn't rejected)

Is it a sedan or aft cabin?

Is it a sedan or aft cabin?

Aft Double Beds.
Fore Birth has stacked singles to star and head to port

We put in an offer to purchase this morning.
Fingers crossed.

I had the chance to take a look at the 38', and the layout was more compact. Stairs to v-birth and aft cabin were steeper, and the salon was shorter.
I could not see any seems.
*shrug*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom