View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
stevemitchell
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I've had a Nemo Gateway on my last boat, and the new current one, and wrote about it earlier in 2018: Nemo gateway - easy NMEA networking for your boat.

I have used Coastal Explorer for years as well, and the Nemo makes it super easy to use wherever the PC is situated on the boat.

However, I am installing Furuno equipment on my new boat and have been experimenting with the Nemo and TimeZero on the PC.

The full system plan is to have multiple TZT2 MFDs, a NavPilot 300, and a DRS4D-NXT radar. I'll be using Coastal Explorer and TimeZero on two Surface Pro PCs depending on what mood I am in, along with SignalK and a bunch of other open source stuff.

I would prefer to drive the autopilot using CE or TZ from the PC.

I don't have the MFD or radar installed yet, but I do have the NavPilot 300 (which is a really nice AP BTW) installed and configured, but am having difficulties getting TZ to do anything with it using Nemo.

I know that eventually if I connect my PC running TZ to the Ethernet network that my TZT2's and radar will live on, that I should be able to create routes and waypoints on TZ and have the AP nav from that data (hopefully!) but I would also like a backup method of being able to use Nemo.

I can confirm that TZ can use the Nemo UDP stream to both send and receive NMEA data, and I see navigation/autopilot NMEA 0183 sentences arriving at the Nemo from TZ, but the auto pilot never seems to allow me to navigate to a waypoint. So I can confirm that TZ does work with the UDP stream at least for consuming what is coming out of Nemo.

I think there might be missing sentences or data from TZ -> Nemo, but I haven't figured out what quite yet. Still some additional experimentation with different combos of 0183 sentences. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

CE -> Nemo -> NavPilot 300 works perfectly, which is not surprising since CE and Nemo are known to work together well.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote