Cozumel vs Cancun marina ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello all,

I am taking our boat from Fort Lauderdale to Cancun or Cozumel at the end of February. My friends who are making the trip with me will be hoping off and flying back to California. My wife will be flying in.

We plan to spend a month in the area touring the Yucatan peninsula. It seems like Cancun would be the natural choice as it's on the mainland. Does this make sense and do you have a recommendation for a marina? The boat is a 62' Offshore that drafts 5 feet,

Thank you very much!!!

Hello all,

I am taking our boat from Fort Lauderdale to Cancun or Cozumel at the end of February. My friends who are making the trip with me will be hoping off and flying back to California. My wife will be flying in.

We plan to spend a month in the area touring the Yucatan peninsula. It seems like Cancun would be the natural choice as it's on the mainland. Does this make sense and do you have a recommendation for a marina? The boat is a 62' Offshore that drafts 5 feet,

Thank you very much!!!

My dos centavos worth --

V & V used to be the one I heard mentioned a lot. But the crime issues in that area require a bit of current sleuthing. About 600 murders in Cancun last year. Flying in according to the die hards is OK so long as you stay in the specific resort area. The marinas there may not offer that safety buffer. Suggest you check with the State Department regarding Cancun and Yucatan.

I really like the OF 62. It may be a real target once away from a security intense area. I've friends and relatives living in Costa Rica on the west coast. I believe there are some pretty decent marinas now appearing on it's east coast. But CR is a bit further.

How about St Thomas or St Lucia instead? No matter what, be safe.

Last edited:
Look at Isla Mujeres. Island right off Cancun, this is where the cruiser crowd is. Several Marinas to choose from, cheap, quick regular ferry to Cancun.

Cozumel vs Cancun marinas

I would forget about Cancun marinas. Isla Meujures is the place to be. I love it there. As you travel south (not very far) also like Peurto Adventuras. Can't go wrong with those two.

Thank you for all of the replies. If we elect to stay at Isla Mujeras, how long is the ferry ride to Cancun and what is the cost?

I was there for 2 months in 2016. The ride was 10 minutes, $5 usd/ea. Something like that.

Thank you very much. This sounds great. So to confirm, we should stay at Isla Mujeras and I should have my group fly into Cancun??

We didn’t use an airport while there, so canine speak to distance and cab fare. But yes, stay at Isla. Pick your marina carefully, as they range from slums to really nice. Also the main harbor can get a bit bumpy when the cold fronts come thru. The lagoon is way more protected, but not as scenic, and further from town.

I vote for Isla Mujeres too. The holding in the anchorage is not great but is doable in decent weather. The marinas are not fancy (at least the ones I've seen) but they are safe and convenient. You may or may not find a slip with 50 amps but there is good protection back in the lagoon area. Have fun!

Kevin

Today in the Cancun area I'd choose Isla Mujeres. When we were there, we docked in Cancun, but that was a few years ago and less crime at that time. In the Cozumel area, Puerto Aventuras.

Check the travel advisories before going as they're regularly updated.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

In spite of the crime in Cancun we've all read about, the Embassy is only putting Quintana Roo at a Level 2-Exercise Increased Caution right now. A lot of violent crime but still no restrictions on US government employee travel. Be very careful, travel only in groups and exercise good judgement as to where and as to your activities. Now is not the time to check out all the Cancun nightlife and head back to a boat in the middle of the night.

We loved Cancun and the Cozumel area but decided against Cancun last year and likely will do the same this year. Too many places I feel safer going to right now. I don't want to be looking over my shoulder or walking around in fear of a gunfight breaking out. Although circumstances may change it, this was our winter to do the Western Caribbean, but if we do, we'll probably do the Caymans, Jamaica and Panama and forego Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom