sunchaser
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
Hello all,

I am taking our boat from Fort Lauderdale to Cancun or Cozumel at the end of February. My friends who are making the trip with me will be hoping off and flying back to California. My wife will be flying in.

We plan to spend a month in the area touring the Yucatan peninsula. It seems like Cancun would be the natural choice as it's on the mainland. Does this make sense and do you have a recommendation for a marina? The boat is a 62' Offshore that drafts 5 feet,

Thank you very much!!!
My dos centavos worth --

V & V used to be the one I heard mentioned a lot. But the crime issues in that area require a bit of current sleuthing. About 600 murders in Cancun last year. Flying in according to the die hards is OK so long as you stay in the specific resort area. The marinas there may not offer that safety buffer. Suggest you check with the State Department regarding Cancun and Yucatan.

I really like the OF 62. It may be a real target once away from a security intense area. I've friends and relatives living in Costa Rica on the west coast. I believe there are some pretty decent marinas now appearing on it's east coast. But CR is a bit further.

How about St Thomas or St Lucia instead? No matter what, be safe.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote