Hi, first post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
..hate to start with a question, but where is the 'Search' link? I cannot find it...
Anyway, am about to get a Macgregor 26X and convert it to power, put the mast, rig and sails away and use the Honda 35 four stroke. I did the same on a Catalina 22 in San Francisco Bay, and removed the stick on the same kind of boat in the Sea of Cortez.
Have done my sailing, entire Pacific Coast and Baja, and also charter boat in SF Bay, now downsizing and mobile.
Anyway, besides the Search question and quick intro, I am curious if any other Mac powerboaters can share cockpit canvas and/or hardtop modifications...?
Cheers
Stuart

Third from the right on the very top red bar!

Ahhh!!! YES. Right in front of me, thank you. Next, tried to post some photos, but when I went to attachments it went to a weird window and not my desktop. Any just as fast solutions to that, please?
Thanks
:)

Last edited:
Ahhh!!! YES. Right in front of me, thank you. Next, tried to post some photos, but when I went to attachments it went to a weird window and not my desktop. Any just as fast solutions to that, please?
Thanks
:)

Probably wont be able too until you post another few times, either 5 or 10.
Anyway, welcome aboard and enjoy the “Expurts”.

CC, are you saying this is the policy, no photo postings till stripes are earned? Don't want to keep trying and asking how to do it if the deal is that I have to post a bunch of times first? Please advise. Anyone. Is this the policy?
Thx
Stuart

Welcome aboard. You need 10 posts before you can post photos.

If you have less, believe the mods will quickly review before being public.

Just start replying to some other posts to ask questions or just comment so you get the 10 posts. Good luck.

OK, thanks for info, maybe mods might consider making a note of that for first timers, or maybe I missed it, anyway, thanks I know it is not at my end.
Will post info and photos of new project, the Macgregor 26X which will be used only as a power boat with a 35 Honda. Looking for ideas and what folks have done to enclose the cockpit. And trailer considerations of time to remove canvas, or build a hardtop of some kind....?
Have had a 38' trawler, many powerboats, ran a charter service on SF Bay, sailed a lot, now into less is more chapter, will see how it develops and share..
Cheers
Stuart

Welcome Stuart. I going to try and help you with those ten Posts.

With a MacGregor can't you go up as high as 75 hp outboard?

Just start replying to some other posts to ask questions or just comment so you get the 10 posts. Good luck.

No, sorry guys, but there is no such rule re posting photos, that 10 post thing only applies to posting live links.

The correct way to post photos straight up, (because if you hit the insert image icon, that is a link to a URL), is to go 'advanced', not quick reply. Then go down to 'manage attachments'...which takes you to a 'choose' option that allows you to browse you computer for photos. Click on select or choose for the pic you want to put up, wait until that jpeg appears in the image list at top left, then choose again as required...then select 'upload'. Make sure you wait until that has completed, (on a Mac the blue line across the top), then close that window and select submit reply button, from below where your list of images is listed. The photos will then appear in the post. Like this...only this is just a shot of part of the marina where my berth is, as the boat is sold. Nice the berth still brings in money now, instead of always outgoing. Softens a blow a bit.

As matter of fact, I entered the trawler scene after two trailer yachts, the last a maxi called a Gazelle 26, an NZ build. I just wish the MacGregor 26 with its water ballast, (and option to drop it), and planing feature, had come out sooner, and I might never have gone for the trawler option, as it is a boat capable of the best of both worlds.

Which begs the question, why lose the sail option, when you can have both..? As there have been many times when out in our Clipper 34 Trawler style cruiser, that we wished we could just turn the engine off and go with the wind. As long as it was in the right direction, of course. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the info on photo posting. Was going to include a few of my San Francisco Catalina 22 hybrid power boat, pop top, swing keel, 9.9 High Thrust Ex Long Shaft four stroke, could go 6-7 knots with little fuel consumption, looking for a little more room and trailerable as well.
Understand most hate the "hybrid" concept, but when seen, many change their minds. I don;t care, to lug around a heavy boat on a trailer vs a 9" draft is appealing to me. Some of the boats have put big engines, 90 HP, but I don't need that. If I can launch easily, have cabin space, shallow draft, economy, easily cruise at 13 knots, and be used as a travel trailer when on the road, then that, for me, is interesting....

Peter B, thanks, where is "Advanced"? I don;t see that as an option, how do I get there? thx

Peter,

My bad, but that is what I was told when I was a newbie. Glad to find out the correct info.

Peter B, thanks, where is "Advanced"? I don;t see that as an option, how do I get there? thx

If you select 'Post reply' button, to the bottom left of the last post, rather than just typing into the 'Quick reply' box already open below, you get advanced mode automatically.

However, if you have already started the post in the 'quick reply' box, and realise you want to add a pic or two or even an emojie, then scroll down until you see the 'Go Advanced' button, (next to the 'Post Quick Reply' button), and click on that, which then opens up all options, and without losing what you have already typed.

The Macgregor 26x can handle up to 50hp. The 26M is approved for up to 70hp. People have been known to put 70’s on the x and 90’s on the M but this is not recommended. The transom was not designed for that much HP. If you really want answers regarding the Macgregor sailboats contact Blue Water Yachts bwyachts.com They are the only factory authorized parts supplier.

Pete, I hit "Post Reply' and it takes me to this page where I am replying but I do not see any "Advanced" anything anywhere , and "Attached Files" does not do it. Why is this so complicated ...?
Thx

See the Go Advanced button to the right of Post Quick Reply?

Attachments

• F085BB40-0C6C-4C09-B89E-3FC83922CB74.jpg
    F085BB40-0C6C-4C09-B89E-3FC83922CB74.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 75
Thanks, I clicked on Go Advanced which is where I am but my only options are:
Add Video
or
Post Icons

I see nowhere to add photos.

Why should adding photos be so advanced, seems to me it should be a normal simple process, but I am not seeing anywhere to do so
Is there a Forum link that shows, one two, three, the sequential steps, ie How to Post Photos
??
thx
Stuart

Go Advanced, click the paper clip,you’ll see it in the upper bar, pick your picture from your file. And hope it’s orientated right.
The forum is set up for users of virtually all operating systems, I use IPad and cant really help much on Windows platforms or other systems.

Good luck.

Thanks, I clicked on Go Advanced which is where I am but my only options are:
Add Video
or
Post Icons

I see nowhere to add photos.

Why should adding photos be so advanced, seems to me it should be a normal simple process, but I am not seeing anywhere to do so
Is there a Forum link that shows, one two, three, the sequential steps, ie How to Post Photos
??
thx
Stuart

Stuart, you seem to be having issues all right, but I'm not sure why. Posting photos is really quite easy. I suspect from you above post that once in 'Go Advanced', you are not scrolling down past the red band labelled 'Additional Options', and clicking on the 'Manage Attachments' button. Do that, and then follow what I said above should solve your problem.
Clicking on the paper-clip icon at the very top in that same 'advanced' window also brings up the 'Choose File' option I note, having tried it myself.
How are you doing now..?

Last edited:
Click Go Advanced, scroll down to where you see "Manage Attachments," click on that and you will see this.

Use the pop up box to select your photo files. Be mindful of the size limitations. After selecting the photos click upload. When the upload is finished the files will be automatically added to your post. Close the pop up and submit your post.

Attachments

• attachments.jpg
    attachments.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for the patience , think I have it figured out, uploaded four photos of 'Hybrid" Catalina 22, swing keel, 8HP four stroke, electric tilt and start, with cockpit controls
Cheers
Stuart

Attachments

• Cat cushions.jpeg
    Cat cushions.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Catalina stbd.jpg
    Catalina stbd.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2097.jpg
    IMG_2097.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 71
With apologies to "My Fair Lady", by George, he's got it..! :socool:

Stuart
Welcome aboard TF
Congrats on the pics... it's kinda like riding a bike seems difficult but only at first. You will be a pro in no time.
I see in the pic you DO have a mast...of sorts and have lost the sails.
I made a cockpit sun shade for a marina buddy w a McGregor but of course he had a mast & boom and it used the boom for support... sorry no help.
Are you planning on DIY canvas?

Cool trawler you have.....yes I had a 5' aluminum spar to support the roll up sun shade, place for antenna, etc
Not sure how I will enclose the cockpit on the Mac, as the steering pedestal has been removed and wheel now on right bulkhead in cockpit, so have to see how far forward the top will have to be placed. I can't be in the sun anymore, it's hats and stay in the shade, so I will be putting some kind of bimini or top on the boat, also ideally sides.

San Francisco Bay in the summer gets frisky, so complete enclosure is desirable ....also have to factor in trailering and time and ease to remove and re install any canvas.
Am thinking for about the same price I can consider a permanent, light, airy enclosure that does not look too weird...
Have not bought the boat yet, engine being given complete service at the moment, new impeller, check tilt, change oils, etc.
Will keep you posted.

Cheers
Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! :)

Hope you post some pics of the Macgregor mods. :thumb:

While I'm not a fan on the water ballast system, it sure is an interesting boat. Here is a promo video that I found.

If I was on the water, and saw a Macgregor, on plane, it definitely would be a heck of a surprise! :eek:

Jim

Hi Jim,
Completely agree. Saw a Mac 26 on SF Bay once without the rig and it looked odd, but the people were happy, it was far more maneuverable than nearly all the other boats.
Attached, pictures, (hopefully), of the boat (not mine) and one with a nice interior. Water ballast I will see if needed just as a power boat. Rudders down my guess more control at low speeds, we'll see on all this, main thing is to make the cockpit self enclosed for sun protection, warmth, and not have to spend too much time for taking any canvas down and up for trailering.
Cheers
Stuart

Attachments

• CIMG0267.jpg
    CIMG0267.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 67
  • img_436206_2_f24f27bd590edf9bf1dc759fb4deb36a.jpg
    img_436206_2_f24f27bd590edf9bf1dc759fb4deb36a.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 149
Going back to your first question, about finding the "search" option. Here's a tip that can help any user of the Web in similar situations: On any web page, do CTRL+F, and you'll get a search function in your browser that will search all the text on the page. It even works when you've got a PDF displayed, like a users manual or something. Very, very handy tool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom