• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Creampuff 36 Gulfstar**SOLD**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
1973 Gulfstar 36 Trawler

Super clean and lovingly maintained aft cabin flybridge trawler.*

Twin 4-236 Perkins Diesels, simple, smooth running and reliable.

Next Generation 5.5 KW Genset, rebuilt in 2006, Electrical end replaced in 2010.

Original gel coat still shines.* No hull blisters or rot.

Nibral props, new in 2006.* Shafts and struts also new in 2006.

Aluminum fuel tanks replaced in late 90's, no leaks or fouling.

All Exterior teak is in great shape with multiple coats of Cetol Gloss.

2 A/C units, new in 2007 and 2009, rear is 6,000 btu, aft is 16,000.

Garmin HD radar new in 2011.

Aluminum frame windows with no leaks or frame rot.

Teak parquet flooring throughout.

Bimini new in 2012.

Dinghy Davits and motor davit.

Large teak swim platform new in 2011.

Bright, airy interior, original formica laminate bulkeads are all gone, replaced with teak and or white fiberglass coverings.

All interior cusions are sunbrealla.

Aft cabin has offset queen berth, hanging lockers and drawers.

Fwd cabin has large v-berth and hanging/shelf locker.

L shaped sette couch in main cabin with storage under, added new in 2008.

Extensive galley update in 2005 with new fridge.* Updated custom herschoff style locker doors.* New counters and table surfaces.

Autopilot new in 2011.

Complete bonding system new in 2010.

Extensive deck core and non skid work in 2011.

Extensive spares inventory.

This is not a fixer upper, but is a very sound and seaworthy boat that has traveled over 5,000 miles on her own bottom in the last 5 years.* Upgrade to a new boat forces quick sale.

Currently lying in Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas, but will be in Fort Lauderdale area soon.

$39,000

Call 850-591-6100 or email at megalops@comcast.net

-- Edited by Dougcole on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 11:55:17 AM

-- Edited by Dougcole on Monday 23rd of January 2012 09:18:02 AM

Attachments

• aft cabin.jpg
    aft cabin.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 367
  • port side.jpg
    port side.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 498
  • running gear.jpg
    running gear.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 353
  • dinette aft.jpg
    dinette aft.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 353
  • main cabin port.jpg
    main cabin port.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 342
  • gel coat still shines.jpg
    gel coat still shines.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 831
  • galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 377
sounds like a great and well founded vessel. I would post some more pictures including engine room and interior- sounds like a very nice gulfstar.

Thanks Woodsong, I put some more up.

It honestly is a really nice boat, I cringe to think how much labor and dollars I have invested in her in the 6 years we have owned her, but that is boats.

I was shocked at how low other Gulfstar 36's are selling for, I honestly thought my boat was worth more like $60,000, given her condition.* But I'm just trying to price her fairly.* Hopefully someone will come along who understands that, and also will take care of her in the future.

Doug

Doug contacted me about his Gulfstar so I did some research for him on recently sold boats. I suggested the asking price of $39,000 to make the boat very attractive to a potential buyer. With all of the upgrades it seems like a very good value. I also suggested he advertise here because this site should be a good source of buyers, I am trying to help him out with the hope of selling another boat to him!!
I will be gald to send the sold boat pricing report I sent to him to any one interested if you send a PM to me.

Tucker,
Price does seem pretty good.

P.S. either that is a decent sized prop or you have a very minature bicycle! :)

Woodsong wrote:
Tucker,
Price does seem pretty good.

P.S. either that is a decent sized prop or you have a very minature bicycle! :)
*The yard that Tucker works for*(Bradford) has some Tinker Toys that do have some large props on them.* I have a picture of a set in their yard that just had "Prop Speed" applied and I believe they were larger than this one.* When we pulled into the yard the first time I commented to my wife that "I think we are in the wrong place".* We couldn't afford to maintain any thing in the yard that*we could see least of all buy one.* Some large personal*boats there for sure.

It's not the bike that is too small.

A good looking Gulfstar.* We recently bought a 73 similar to yours, except we have seperate berths in the master stateroom.* It was really shabby looking, having sat outside un-attended for 2 years.* Mechanically sound, some minor repairs needed, as well as a total upgrade to the interior.* We got it for 20K, as the owner was tired of it.* It had been priced at 55K 2 years ago, but no takers.* I think yours is priced right, at least up here in Ohio.* We never get back what we put into our boats, but I look at it as a hobby (obsession) instead of an investment.

How did you do the bulkheads behind the dinette?* Super nice looking.* we're trying to get rid of all the*Formica and make things brighter.** We want to go with an electric cook top and convection microwave, as you did.* Any snags in that area?*** What did you do about a fridge?* The PO had a small dorm type, but we will go with a regular fridge/freezer, assuming we can get it into the galley.

Thanks BW. I think it is very fairly priced. It is amazing how much the used boat market has deteriorated over the last 5 years to the point where a boat as sound as mine is worth so little. Heck, I'm going to spend $8,000 on a new bimini (thank God I have insurance) and enclosure. That is almost 1/3 of the value of the whole boat. Crazy. I almost think I could pull it to pieces and sell it for parts and make more. Oh well, nothing to be done, I guess. We have really enjoyed our time aboard.

I got the bulkhead coverings from Mirage boats in Gainesville. It is actually a thin sheet of fiberglass that looks a lot like beadboard. It is attached to the bulkheads with an epoxy putty.

Our stove is original. The microwave works great, easy installation.

The fridge is a norcold, I forget the model number, but it is the largest they make. It will BARELY fit through the companionway into the galley. We had to take some parts off and put them back on. It scratched up the bulkheads, but that was ok, as we were redoing them anyway.

Hey Doug - You get any nibbles on your Gulfstar? I hope the nice weather will get folks out and about for a boat.
By the way, did you ever cruise on one engine only? I've read about people doing that to save fuel, and putting in a little rudder to correct. If you did it, did you keep the unused tranny in gear or let it free wheel?

IF you want to actually sell the boat , my suggestion is GO NORTH, get the heck out of FL!!!!

Fla is Hotel California , Death Valley for boats , as there are hundreds/thousands? of units for sale all competing on price.

The Chessy with the huge salaries for Gov "workers" or further north would be my choice.

We have had boats with ZERO Lookie Louis (in 3 years!) that sold almost on arrival in CT.

The lower the price on a boat the less chance a buyer will bother to come down from the north.

$1,000,000 bucket , maybe if its priced well enough below market , might get a look.

Under $40 50 grand , almost no chance!

Hit the ditch , its warm enough NOW!

FF

Get Her up on the CA west coast. I have been in the trawler market for over a year here in San Diego. There just are not that many to look at for sale buy owner. I have a very good cash budget as well.

"I have a very good cash budget as well"

So buy a ticket to take a look!

The trip thru the Panama Canal is a snoozer,

Based on the trip we took earlier this week the Canal is fantastic. The history, lock operation and the way the land was carved to make it happen at the early part of the 20th century makes you think.

Just as good is seeing the construction of the new locks. I posted a shot of a dredger earlier. I did not mention that near the locks a lot of the deepening has to be done by drilling and blasting because they were at bedrock in 1912.

Anything but a snoozer.

Rob

Hey Guys,

Our boat is currently in Nettles Island Marina near Jensen Beach, FL and is still for sale. It has gotten next to no interest, so I will entertain all offers. It's not a case of people looking and not liking the boat, no one even looks.

It truly is a super clean and reliable boat for the money, I've posted a pic of the newly detailed engine room.

We also just finished the new top and full strataglass enclosure. A $9,000 value.

Doug

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,902
A theory in Real Estate is: No inspections=price too high; Inspections but no offers= getting towards price range; Inspections and offers=you are in the range.
Don`t know if this works in USA for boats but it could.
The idea you can post a high price and people will look and make offers sounds good but seems not to work in practice,an above range price appears to deter lookers.
She looks like a very nice well maintained boat.Depressed markets are ugly,but matter less if you both buy and sell in the same market.
BruceK

PHP:
A theory in Real Estate is: No inspections=price too high; Inspections but no offers= getting towards price range; Inspections and offers=you are in the range.
The idea you can post a high price and people will look and make offers sounds good but seems not to work in practice,an above range price appears to deter lookers.
She looks like a very nice well maintained boat.Depressed markets are ugly,but matter less if you both buy and sell in the same market.
BruceK

My guess and it is just that a guess, is that a couple of other things are at work here as well. One is a boat that ols will be very hard to insure due to age and secondly it will take a cash buyer no matter what the price, also due to age and the first problem.:nonono:

I've had zero problem insuring the boat, I get my insurance through Allstate, one of the biggest companies in the country. They allow a Bahamian rider even (it cost me about $50) and just processed a pretty large claim for the top and enclosure which was lost during Irene.

Getting a loan on her may be an issue though, I agree with you there. Then again, a lot of people happily pay that for a car, it's not a massive outlay a funds.

I also agree that the market will work in our favor when we become buyers, if that ever happens :).

BruceK

Totally agree and have add one more caveat...

Can't have any non-starter attributes...just like in real estate.

I liked quite a few things about the Gulfstars when I was looking...me??? I just had to have a door next to the lower helm...maybe it doesn't matter to many...just wouldn't work for me without one...no matter the price...so every attribute that someone dislikes reduces the buyer pool by a percentage. :socool:

Congrats on the sale Doug- always nice to get a boat sold!

Congrats, Doug. A bittersweet event, to be sure, but on to better things.

It's really great that another 36 Gulfstar is back on the water. Sincere congrats.

And as the proud new owner, let me just say that the original posting did not exaggerate. This is indeed a creampuff boat! I feel very lucky to have it. Of course, the really ironic thing is that Doug only lives about 30 minutes away from me! :)

Thanks everyone.

It worked out to be a very fair deal all around, I think. Good for both John and me. John is a super nice guy, and though in the past when I have sold something big (cars, houses) my policy is to wash my hands of it, I don't feel that way at all in this instance. I know my old boat is a good one, and I'll be there to offer John as much help as he wants with the transition.

Now on to the boat search.

And yeah, I left the boat in a slip about 6 hours from home down in South Florida on our way back form the Bahamas because the market for trawlers there is probably 10 times the size it is here. John will keep the boat in St. Marks, about 8 miles from our house.

Go figure.

I know my old boat is a good one, and I'll be there to offer John as much help as he wants with the transition.

It's a great attitude to have, that is, until JW calls you one morning and says: "Hey, when are we going to get together and do the head re-plumbing job. I've got a heck of a mess in the bilge".

Nope. Doesn't work that way. I have both sold boats and bought boats. You can call the previous owner and ask questions (if you are lucky enough to feel that you are able to, which I think I am), but it stops there. Likewise, the person that bought my sailboat can call me and ask questions, and I will answer them to the very best of my ability. But if she has to have work done, and cannot do it herself, then there are people out there that will do it. For a fee.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom