Nice cockpit door on a 34!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40

Attachments

• 00s0s_hnfZ26H4cgE_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_hnfZ26H4cgE_600x450.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 78
I wonder how much the hull flexes when it's being lifted in slings :eek:

That is way cool. I would hope some serious reinforcing was done around the door opening to offset the structural interruption.
The origins of the Port/Starboard terminology we use I have heard was in the Scandinavian Countries. The "long boats" sailed in those countries always had the steering oar on the right side.
They always docked on the port side to protect the "steer board" which became starboard, or so I've heard.
And so the door is on the correct side :)

:socool:

Maybe not as much as one might think.

The cockpit deck and cabin might give it most of what it needs and depends on if the door shut adds strength the way it attaches & latches.

I saw a door like that several years ago in Rondout Creek on the Hudson river. Looked interesting but I believe a transom door is more versatile.
Either way the hull would have to be reinforced, but easy to do on those boats.

Maybe not as much as one might think.

The cockpit deck and cabin might give it most of what it needs and depends on if the door shut adds strength the way it attaches & latches.
I agree with the above as my boat has a cockpit side door and has not experienced any excessive hull flexing. (All boat hulls flex somewhat when hanging off the slings.) Some even need engine re/alignment after a haul out. :blush:

Attachments

• Sandpiper.jpg
    Sandpiper.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom