Looking for info on a Ford Lees 120hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Steele

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
40' Blue Sea Flybridge Cruiser
Hi Members,
I’ve purchased a new boat with a 120hp Ford Lees and I’m finding in difficult to get information about it. There are a few of these engines getting about and they were Marineised in New Zealand. I’d really like to get a workshop Manual for it and also know where I could source parts in Australia. Can anyone advise if it is the same base engine as the 120hp Ford Lehman and just different marinisation?
Just want to set up with spares and make sure I can keep her in good nick.

Thanks in advance
Jason

Welcome aboard Jason, fairly sure it`s the same base engine,the Ford Dorset. Used in tractors,some trucks, stationary applications, etc. I have twin FL 120s, reliable agricultural beasts. Tractor companies have the Ford parts,eg Wagga Wagga Tractor, NSW. Recently bought a Spanish made head gasket online from UK,but didn`t need it.
I `ve no lead on Lees marinization parts.Try ebay,you might find something. Blue Seas are from Taiwan,so the NZ connection is interesting.

Welcome aboard Jason, fairly sure it`s the same base engine,the Ford Dorset. Used in tractors,some trucks, stationary applications, etc. I have twin FL 120s, reliable agricultural beasts. Tractor companies have the Ford parts,eg Wagga Wagga Tractor, NSW. Recently bought a Spanish made head gasket online from UK,but didn`t need it.
I `ve no lead on Lees marinization parts.Try ebay,you might find something. Blue Seas are from Taiwan,so the NZ connection is interesting.

Thanks, yes I thought the NZ connection was interesting also. The company is still running but don’t look like the run with Fords anymore. The survey suggests its a model 6115...
Happy it’s a relatively common donk as my last boat had a Nissan 150hp and it was a bit of a pain..

American Diesel. Original owner marinized the Lehman for the Marine Trader trawlers. He has passed, but his knowledgeable son, Brian,( i think) now answere ALL questions about the Lehman’s
Also, his catalog puts numbers on all Lehman motors for purchase. Nice setup.
Look up American Diesel, in Carolina somewhere

Kilmarnock, Va last I heard but shouldn't matter fin New Zealand. :)

Kilmarnock, Va last I heard but shouldn't matter fin New Zealand. :)

IMG_0199.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 184
I have purchased HX tube bundles from james@moonengines.co.nz. They also have exhaust manifolds for my Lee's engines, 120hp engines from the 70's. James has been helpful with information. Lee's Marine is also in business, parts@leesgroup.com. They have some parts but my sense is the institutional memory of the older engines has been lost.

The Lees 120hp is the same 2715e Ford engine as the Lehman. The only difference is the marinization and the Circulating Pump. The Lehman has the "5 o'clock" circulating pump while the Lee's has the "2 o'clock" pump.

Thank you for such a comprehensive post very much appreciated. I’d be grateful if you could email any information on the Lees.
I’ll PM you with my email.
I found a genuine impeller on board still in its box so I have a spare which is good. $115...wow.
I’d like to get some new anodes for the water system as I don’t know how old they are.
Service book suggests that the impeller was only replaced last year but I don’t know when the last service was done as well so I’d like to change the oil and filters.

Can't help other than to mention a PM can be sent through the T.F. site by clicking on the
name, BEE JAY, which will open the means of sending a message.

Hi Jason,

I have just emailed it to you in pdf format.

Concerning the Lees raw water pump - your best to use the original impeller.

Be careful with old stored impellers. Especially at $115 each! They can age in storage, so if you unpacked, repack and reseal.
References in posts 4 & 5 to Lehman don`t help. American Diesel was established by the Smith family. The late Bob Smith was VP of Lehman. American Diesel did not marinize the Lehman, Lehman marinized the Ford Dorset.
The the town of Kilmarnock is, I think, the location of American Diesel who provide fine service to Lehman users, but not to Lees users.
Looks like BeeJay is your go to man.

Moon Engineering in Auckland NZ are the agents for new and used Lee's marine equipment.
The have most things and are very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom