Bypass Filter System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Does anybody have any experience with the Kleen Oil Bypass Filter System on a boat or other application? Would like to add it to my JD 4045. Was considering the Racor, but it's been discontinued.

Ted

I have a clean oil fetish and have used bypass filters since the 1960s. I used a pair about 10 years ago on 2 Detroits bought with about 3000 hours. By oil tests, I'd say it works as advertised. As I remember, it took about 3 filter changes to get the engines clean enough so the oil stayed semi-transparent. I can't remember the hours between filter changes, but I changed the bypass filters before the oil turned black. Full flow filters were only changed with the oil. The oil was changed by test results and lasted about 3 times as long. Even then it still tested mostly ok, but I don't remember exactly what caused me to change it.

Now I use a centrifuge, test, and haven't changed my oil since 2011.

You might find a centrifugal filter more effective, cleaner and easier to mount because it will be a lot smaller. I have both in depth bypass (Puradyn) and a centrifugal (Dieselcraft).

The small centrifuges use engine oil pressure to spin the separator. If you can boost the pressure to the centrifuge with a small pump, you'll get better cleaning. A stand alone centrifuge, motor driven, gives the best cleaning and can be used to super clean diesel if needed.

I did some serious looking at centrifuges and like the concept. If I were to go in that direction, it would be a stand alone unit. Looked at and talked to a representative from Dieselcraft. I came away feeling it might not be as reliable functionally as a stand alone unit. This is something I'm likely not monitoring while it's running. Filtration with no moving parts has lots of appeal to me. Think I can get the same level of filtration (down to 1 micron and 3 microns absolute) from a good Bypass filter. Really not trying to extend the oil life, more interested in cleaner oil.

Ted

I did some serious looking at centrifuges and like the concept. If I were to go in that direction, it would be a stand alone unit. Looked at and talked to a representative from Dieselcraft. I came away feeling it might not be as reliable functionally as a stand alone unit. This is something I'm likely not monitoring while it's running. Filtration with no moving parts has lots of appeal to me. Think I can get the same level of filtration (down to 1 micron and 3 microns absolute) from a good Bypass filter. Really not trying to extend the oil life, more interested in cleaner oil.

Ted
I hear you. The effectiveness of the centrifuge is going to depend on the precise meaning of it "spins up to 6,000 rpm." I guess I'll know when I clean it after 100 hrs or so.

I have 5 diesel engines to maintain. Not replacing still good oil paid for the centrifuge in a year or so.

I have 5 diesel engines to maintain. Not replacing still good oil paid for the centrifuge in a year or so.
I understand. On my 7,000 mile Great Loop trip, 4 engine and 2 generator oil changes took <15 gallons of oil.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom