Mainship 34 prop size with 200hp Perkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbernbuck

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Finale
Vessel Make
Rosborough RF246 Custom Pilothouse 2000
Wondering if anyone out there that has or had an older Mainship 34 with the 200hp Perkins what prop size they were using. Mine appears to be a 22X24.
I'm wondering if I might be a bit over propped as WOT is around 2150 rpm and it will tend to overheat at that rpm. Heat exchangers have all been cleaned and pumps checked. Normally run boat at 1500-1800 rpms with no issues. Also I'm considering fairing the back of the keel while hauled out this winter.
Thanks everyone. FYI also this posted on yahoo vintage mainship

When I faired my Mainship 1 keel I gained about 100-150 rpm.
If you look at the "registry" on that Mainship owner's site you'll be able to see what other boats have for props.
Here's a pic of what mine looked like. I used 2 pieces of pressure treated 4x4 as a base.

Attachments

• fairing.jpg
    fairing.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 51
Our calibrated tachs, and by calibrated I mean I adjusted with an ebay $15 laser tach which might or might not be accurate, both show 2550 WOT when the bottom is clean but we have a 160 Perkins turning a 20x20 no cup 3-blade wheel through a 2.10-1 clutch. It was the same when we had a 4-blade too. The leading edge of our keel isn't faired, btw.

Sidebar thread drift but Jay, get ready for me to reach out to you & request your input/wisdom regarding a model 1 repower. We've FINALLY neared the restoration of our 34 & I'm seriously contemplating repowering vs updating our Perkins.

Our calibrated tachs, and by calibrated I mean I adjusted with an ebay $15 laser tach which might or might not be accurate, both show 2550 WOT when the bottom is clean but we have a 160 Perkins turning a 20x20 no cup 3-blade wheel through a 2.10-1 clutch. It was the same when we had a 4-blade too. The leading edge of our keel isn't faired, btw.

4 blade 20x20 was standard on those Perk 160 powered boats. Mine went from 2550 to almost 2700 when I added the fairing blocks.

Sidebar thread drift but Jay, get ready for me to reach out to you & request your input/wisdom regarding a model 1 repower. We've FINALLY neared the restoration of our 34 & I'm seriously contemplating repowering vs updating our Perkins.

A Cummins 210 or 270 is perfect power for those boats. If you can find a Cummins re-man in either that would be the economical way to go. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom