Sea Of Cortez, yard work and storage on the hard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pairadice
Vessel Make
Sold Selene 47
We are doing a lot of research in preparation for our trip south next year. Hurricane season and the extreme heat would dictate that the summer months in the upper part of the area are the best time to get work done on the boat. We are planning to haul Pairadice late spring/early summer of 2020 in the Sea of Cortez and are looking for recommendations or experiences with others who have had yard work done and storage of there boat in the following places.

1. Puerto Penasco
2. San Carlos/ Guaymas

We have had a few recommendations for either and would prefer Puerto Penasco as our first choice. Mainly because of the distance from our home in Las Vegas, the trip to Puerto Penasco would be about an 8 hour drive, and we would be able to drive our own vehicle back and forth a few times. The drive down to San Carlos would be at least twice as long.

Pairadice is listed as 47 ft. But actually she’s 52 ft. Total length and roughly 60K weight in slings.
The yard storage fee’s per month we have seen are about $400 maybe less if the yard is doing work at the same time. Striping and revarnish the cap rails, glass repair of stress cracks and possible new gelcoat or painting above the side rails and bottom paint are items on the list. We want high quality work done and dont mind paying for that type of work. We think we will be on the hard for about 6 months.

So, if you have used either of these locations we would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with your question. Nearly bought a boat in LaPaz and was considering pulling it in Puerto Penasco and then trucking East. Anyway, if you go there, plan accordingly for the tides. In coming tides stack up at the top of the Sea of Cortez,15 to 25' if I recall correctly.

Ted

Last edited:
I can't help you with your question. Nearly bought a boat in LaPaz and was considering pulling it in Puerto Penasco and then trucking East. Anyway, if you go there, plan accordingly for the tides. In coming tides stack up at the top of the Sea of Cortez,15 to 25' if I recall correctly.

Ted

Sounds like Alaska, just a tad warmer. Thanks Ted

Sounds like Alaska, just a tad warmer. Thanks Ted

It would be your luck that it will be warmer in Alaska than Mexico!! Been in Mexico all my life and this is the most rain I have ever seen!!!

Better go north lad, go north I say.....:eek::rofl:

Brian at Selene Seattle should have current knowledge on yards whether in Ensanada, La Paz,, Puerto Penasco or Guaymas. Why would your vessel need to be hauled?

Why would your vessel need to be hauled?

Mostly for insurance reasons. We still need to get there take on when to enter Mexico’s waters and if thatfar north we will need to put her on the hard. Plus the work we want to get done during that time.

Crusty - Marina Seca in San Carlos, is worth checking into. Secure, fenced and can get you the craftsmen you want. Pretty spendy. In Guaymas, there's a somewhat secure place to dry-out the boat. Security doesn't look so great, however, there's been a lot of high quality boats that have been worked on there. There's another marina outside San Carlos (I can't remember the name) that is Secure and gated with guards like Marina Seca. Last time I was there, not as expensive. If you like, I can call my friends down there and get the name. Que la via biene Amigo.

John: Must be those tacos beans and rice. :D

I’d get Shawn and Heather’s cruising guide for the Sea and see what it says. In the five seasons we spent in the Sea, San Carlos had the best facilities and was the most cruiser friendly on the east side.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Cortez-Cruisers-Guidebook-3rd/dp/0980090148

Thanks Larry,
Tracey ordered this book a few months ago, she sorta has this book fetish as I refer to. I think she has every cruising guide that’s available in print for Mexico, where I’m more into electronic versions. The information in Shawn and Heather’s publication for Puerto Penasco is pretty brief. I suspect few cruisers travel this far North for several reasons. Tides for one, and not much to see is another, and few safe anchorage.
Lots more information regarding San Carlos and Guaymas. Ill bone up on this area and reevaluate the possibilities of storing the boat there for the summer.

Crusty - Marina Seca in San Carlos, is worth checking into. Secure, fenced and can get you the craftsmen you want. Pretty spendy. In Guaymas, there's a somewhat secure place to dry-out the boat. Security doesn't look so great, however, there's been a lot of high quality boats that have been worked on there. There's another marina outside San Carlos (I can't remember the name) that is Secure and gated with guards like Marina Seca. Last time I was there, not as expensive. If you like, I can call my friends down there and get the name. Que la via biene Amigo.

Thanks Bud, good info for sure. Any additional info from your friends would be greatly appreciated. Gonna check Mapquest and see how much further the drive to San Carlos is, probably another 10 hours or so.

Thanks Larry,
Tracey ordered this book a few months ago, she sorta has this book fetish as I refer to. I think she has every cruising guide that’s available in print for Mexico, where I’m more into electronic versions.

I bet she already has the places tabbed already too.....:thumb:

I bet she already has the places tabbed already too.....:thumb:

LOL, Tabs are a work in progress for this Gal.

Just checked the mileage and its another 6 hours difference than Puerto Penasco. Still doable and not quite as far as the trip now to Portland.

Thanks Bud, good info for sure. Any additional info from your friends would be greatly appreciated. Gonna check Mapquest and see how much further the drive to San Carlos is, probably another 10 hours or so.

Crusty - The other Marina in San Carlos is Marina Real. I've made the trip from Montana down there about 12 times coming and going, and I can only say is that it took us 3 days. We stop in St. George, UT; Wickenburg, AZ then onto San Carlos. From what I remember, Puerto Penasco to San Carlos is a full day. I strongly advise NOT TO DRIVE THE COAST HIGHWAY! That road is not maintained as one would think. You'll find holes deep enough to swallow your rig. I also advise to have plenty of pesos to pay for toll roads. Not that it costs so much,in that 30 or 40 pesos per toll will require pocket money. PITA if you don't have pesos. Anything else I can do let me know.

Based on past performance, will we be on target if we are expecting an article in SEA magazine?

Based on past performance, will we be on target if we are expecting an article in SEA magazine?

Funny you should ask Mike.
The editor has already asked us to provide for an article about the trip south. I didn’t think it was such a big deal, but evidently it is to them. We’ll see. Tracey’s more excited about the magazine articles than the trip. She also is back on her, “I’m gonna write a book someday” kick.

Cheers

Crusty - The other Marina in San Carlos is Marina Real. I've made the trip from Montana down there about 12 times coming and going, and I can only say is that it took us 3 days. We stop in St. George, UT; Wickenburg, AZ then onto San Carlos. From what I remember, Puerto Penasco to San Carlos is a full day. I strongly advise NOT TO DRIVE THE COAST HIGHWAY! That road is not maintained as one would think. You'll find holes deep enough to swallow your rig. I also advise to have plenty of pesos to pay for toll roads. Not that it costs so much,in that 30 or 40 pesos per toll will require pocket money. PITA if you don't have pesos. Anything else I can do let me know.

Thanks again Bud, all this info is what we were after. And as usall, you guys have come through. Another reason why we promote TF as much as we do.

Cheers

John, when are you planning to leave on this trip? You are placing ASD and us in the position of drinking all the beer in Alaska you would have otherwise consumed if you were there! There are worse things.

John, when are you planning to leave on this trip? You are placing ASD and us in the position of drinking all the beer in Alaska you would have otherwise consumed if you were there! There are worse things.

Suck it up Buddy, I’m going to warm beach’s and cold Cervesa’s and I’ll have to take up the slack for you two. I know it’s a rough job, but somebody has to do it!
Oh ya, almost forgot about all those fish taco’s too.

Cheers!!!!

Suck it up Buddy, I’m going to warm beach’s and cold Cervesa’s and I’ll have to take up the slack for you two. I know it’s a rough job, but somebody has to do it!
Oh ya, almost forgot about all those fish taco’s too.

Cheers!!!!

Hey Ken E, do you think southern boy here is getting a little snarkie? Everyone one knows you can only drink AA while in a parka and the outside is 50f and rain!:thumb:

I think Crusty will be on the bow of Pairadice with a drink, a smoke and a pair of binoculars checking out the under dressed sun worshipers!!:dance:

we were in Loreto and wondering about the marina that the Pacific Catalyst boats might tie up in. We drove the 26 km south and found Puerto Escondido (?). Very new and clean with a travel lift and a few boats stored on the hard. I know it is further away than the other marinas mentioned and we did not investigate any of the specs for the travel lift or tradesmen available BUT Loreto is serviced by flights from LA so the marina is hrs vs days away. They have a website.

we were in Loreto and wondering about the marina that the Pacific Catalyst boats might tie up in. We drove the 26 km south and found Puerto Escondido (?). Very new and clean with a travel lift and a few boats stored on the hard. I know it is further away than the other marinas mentioned and we did not investigate any of the specs for the travel lift or tradesmen available BUT Loreto is serviced by flights from LA so the marina is hrs vs days away. They have a website.

A bit too far south for the first leg, but nice to know just in case we need a spot on the second leg, Thanks!

San Carlos is only a 5 hour drive from the border.

Sent an email to Rich of Cruise RO. He is a wealth of information and very helpful. This networking thing works extremely well, Thanks Rich!

San Carlos is only a 5 hour drive from the border.

Thanks for the heads up!

I’m told one should take the toll roads as they are faster and smoother roads.

Cheers

Crusty, another thing I think you should know, sometimes the fishing boats work with their lights off, also pongas with no lights are out. Not very often. But they're there. Just a heads up. In Bajia Tortuga I recommend not going all the way in to the village. There's a fuel stop just outside of the village going in. The fuel should be cheaper. CK on 16. Also going in there's a floating (looks like an oyster bed) without lights; you'll notice first with the eye, then the binos will make you ask yourself "what the heck is that".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom