USCG Urges Proper Update EPIRBs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting article in the link.

What was missing from that article is a way for an epirb owner to check his registration information to see if anything needed to be updated. Serious omission IMHO.

From the article

"*The Federal Communications Commission requires all EPIRB owners to register their beacons with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which manages the satellite network, and keep their registration information up-to-date."

When I went to the site ASD linked to and tried to log in, using my beacon registration number and password it let me in but suggested I create a username other than my registration because the registration number is too hard to remember.

So I followed their link to another NOAA page. I entered my first and last names and email address but when I tried to progress from there it said my email address was already in use.

Hmmmmm, Damn government shutdown.

From the above link:

. Commercial fishing vessels, uninspected passenger vessels that carry six or more people, and uninspected commercial vessels are legally required to carry EPIRBs.

Don’t think UPVs are required to carry an EPIRB, unless something changed since the last time I cracked them books. :rolleyes:

From the above link:

Don’t think UPVs are required to carry an EPIRB, unless something changed since the last time I cracked them books. :rolleyes:

Answering my own question after cracking a book just now:

UPVs are not required to carry EPIRBs. 46 CFR 25.26-10

:socool:

Sloppy reporting. You would think they would check what the carriage requirements are before stating them. Here is a NOAA excerpt with more accurate info:

For all compulsory vessels that are required to
carry 406 MHz EPIRBs in U.S. waters (that is,
all vessels over 300 gross tons, all commercial
fishing vessels regardless of tonnage operating
in waters greater than 3 nmi offshore, and all
inspected vessels engaged in transporting 6 or
more persons for hire regardless of tonnage)
mandatory testing of a vessels’ 406 MHz EPIRB
is required on a monthly basis.

We`ve had some good rescues here from Epirb activation.
Every 2 years we are required to update and renew registration. AMSA emails a notification when due, you attend to it online, and you go through a number of requirements to renew.It`s the owners responsibility.
If registration is up to date (and there is no reason it should not be) if/when activation occurs AMSA knows what boat,its description,the owner,the emergency contacts,things like that.
Has worked fine for over 11 years for us, fortunately we are not affected by Govt shutdowns. AMSA is if anything, quite proactive in ensuring updating and renewal.

We are similar here but the registration period maybe a year or two longer.

The shutdown isnt affecting the rescue chain...but not sure about the aministrative side of the house.

If the USCG thinks it will affect the safety side foir boaters or themselves, it will get changed PDQ.

UPV inspection form

UPV requirements are just a little higher than regular recreational. USCG certainly appreciates extra effort as shown on the form.

Attachments

• UPV6PackInspectionFormJuly07.pdf
    232.9 KB · Views: 19
UPV requirements are just a little higher than regular recreational. USCG certainly appreciates extra effort as shown on the form.

Yup, I had my boat examined by the USCG before I started the charte business:
4 Officers came-a-visiting, looked boat and equipment over and grilled the owner/operator on required paperwork and everything else. Lasted a couple of hours and passed with a 4-star rating:
Pic of the CG visit..

Attachments

• 1A38EBF5-7693-487D-ABE7-154294944360.jpg
    1A38EBF5-7693-487D-ABE7-154294944360.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom