The Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris71

Anyone know anything about the Harbormenmarine net to carry a 10-12 foot tender. What about the 29LB Suzuki 2.5 HP or any other motor ideas? I need the engine to be light weight, 29 lbs is OK. Is this enough power to just go no more than a half mile? Suggestions for a dink. My boat is a Pursuit 365I, which has a mini Euro transom and 2 Yami 350's in a clamshell compartment.
Thank you,

An Evinrude 4 hp from the early seventies only weighs 32 pounds plus the separate 3 gallon tank. As a kid that engine went everywhere. Ten to fifteen miles one way was normal.

I had one too! The one with a folding midsection to fit into a suitcase. Weedless prop. There were times it ran a heavy wood boat at full tilt, making 1mph against outgoing jupiter inlet.

Game fisher 1.2

When I owned a Sailboat in the 80's I had a small Gamefisher 1.2 hp. It was 2 cycle, very light. I used to keep it in a laundry sack.

We have a 10 foot hard shell dinghy with a 2.5 Hp Suzuki engine on it and it pushes it with 2 people at about 5 knots which is fine for our purposes. Things I like about the Suzuki is that it is a 4 cycle light weight engine with a built-in fuel tank. The internal fuel tank is only about 1 qt in size so you need to keep that in mind. Also, It does not have a reverse gear and the shifter is on the side of the engine. To back-up you rotate the engine 180 degrees. For me the big factor was that it was about 1/4 the weight of our old 10 hp mercury engine.

How about the ePropulsion Spirit? That's what I'm going to do.

Don`t overlook the Mercury 3.3, 2 stroke so you`ll need to buy 2nd hand, but light,powerful for size,and a good reputation. F/N,no reverse.Integral tank but miserly on fuel.

The best part was it was TWO cylinders. So smooth running compared to today’s single cylinder four stroke.

Can’t beat the merc 3.3 for weight to power. Ours was so good, I purchased a new one while in Grenada last year(still legal). I believe 2006 was the last year for sales in the US. I shopped other small lightweight outboards, but didn’t like suicide gears, after that they all weighed more than 3.3. Range was key vs. electric options, also gas was easier to come by than recharging, as we used all solar etc. for mothership.

Does anyone have any experience with the West marine AL-330 Heavy-Duty Inflatable Sport Boat? The Torqeedo 1003 is interesting and what are the feelings about it and it in combo with the AL-330.
Thanks for your help and input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom