Viking 43 DCMY Owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinkleyBoat

Vessel Make
Tiara 33 - Open - twin perkins
Posting to see if there are any Viking owners, specifically 43DCMY owners out there that want to start a informal info exchange group.

Please PM or post.

Thanks
BB

Posting to see if there are any Viking owners, specifically 43DCMY owners out there that want to start a informal info exchange group.

Please PM or post.

Thanks
BB

Does this mean you've purchased a 43 Viking?

I'm in. Somebody tried to drum up enough interest to get a Viking Builders' Forum on TF a few years ago, but it fizzled. Don't know if we'd qualify, since the Vs aren't actually trawlers.

Hi mbevins
Yep it looks that way. Going to Ft.Lauderdale Monday to pick her up and come back to Ruskin. Sale by owner.
Sbu,
Just posted a message to you on yacht forums too, glad you are on TF.
I don't know if they will or will not give us a spot on the home page but we can make this work for now. Just post and answer. I think there are quite a few DCMY owners Viking or not. The 44GS DCMY is very close to this boat in many ways and there are others. This doesn't have to be Viking specific is what I'm saying. A lot of systems are similar and that will account for some participation as well.
Or we can just interconnect via email. Start a yahoo group. I don't do Facebook or other social media there are options there as well.

BB

What year 43 did you buy? Power?
I know a couple of your versions.
I've got the newer 44. Had her for 16 years.

It's a 1979 and was repowered with two crusaders, 150 hrs. Great condition and good price. Two owner boat.

If my experience is any indicator, you just bought yourself a rock solid boat. I find the mix of open interior layout and speed (when you want it) to be unique in this size and age boat.

Likewise on F'book. The advantage (from my perspective) of TF is that there's a lot of non-ACMY talent on TF that will weigh in to help with questions of a repair/mtc nature. The TFers have saved my bacon sooo many times ....

Oh yeah- forgot the queen bed in the master s/r. That made the deal for me as a bachelor at the time. Kept seeing double bunks on the GBs.

The second boat we looked at was a 43 Viking, that was 10 months ago. We really liked the boat and all the features. The original owner was selling it because they were not using it and just didn't want the expense. It was a fair deal but it had 671's and I just could not see myself working in that ER. There was not much room to do anything at all. She is still for sale.
We really like the sundeck style boat, easier for us to movers round on and the whole boat is virtually usable. Glad we found this one, and the Queen master bunk is a ++. This boat is the high end finish with the open saloon, no lower helm.

The pics look great. Panache (my 43) would be the "before" view of the one you're buying. I think you'll find your new boat is tough as nails. The only problem I've had (rather expected with a boat of this vintage) is topside water leaks. I think I've more or less cured that. My pier mates with the high end and pretty new (Hatt, Bertand, Viking) sportfish warboats tell me not to worry - they all have topside leaks - just a matter of degree.

I agree on the 671s - I like 'em, but after looking at an '80 43 sportfish with 671s (same layout), I have no idea how you service them in the hole unless you're small and flexible (I am neither). Panache (454s @ 1600 hours and great oil analysis reports) will still do the factory advertised 27 K all day long without breathing hard - just as long as you're willing to pay the gas bill. At that speed, she burns gas like a DC-3. Trawler speed (~ 8K) 8 gph, total both sides by Flowscan. The sweet spot for me is 13-14 K on plane - she loves it. After 4 years, with my particular usage (weekends or trips to the barrier islands, not voyages like our PNW brethren), I am a totaly satisfied owner.

The Viking was my conversion to power after 3 blow boats. Still get my occasional sail fixes on son's J43, but I think you're gonna like your new boat more later than you do now. At least in my case, the Viking is way tougher than its skipper. They grow on ya. Great boat.

Great post. All the things I need to hear about. 8gph at trawler speed is really good. The one with the 671's was 6 or 7 gph as I remember. I was amazed how much iron was in the ER.
Triskele is in super condition. I crawled around and could not find and h2o intrusion, stained walls or soft spots, but time will tell. The windows are solid, no leaks at all. All the carpet was just replaced with a high end closed loop, no shag ( yeah ). The fellow that owns her has been very conscientious about maint. She has her original ship papers, all her maint and update records and all systems are go. I do need to add a mast and radar but I would rather have the one I wanted than settling for someone's else's selection. Looks like it will be Garmin, 740x series with HD 18" dome. Then I can expand the rest of the systems via nema 2000. That will be fun. He even installed a oil change system!

BB

I'm not a fan of radar arches. Fabbed my mast from a salvaged sailboat mast. Have some pics if you want them. You can sort of see it in tha avatar.

I'm not a fan of arches either. A mast is cheaper and if rigged properly can be lowered easily to reduce height. I have a metal fabricator down here that will design and build one to my specs.
I would like to see the pics and hear about any ideas you may have about wiring and rigging. I intend to put the radar, hd tv, weather instruments, mooring lights and some other goodies up there. Any ideas?

I see there hasn't been much traffic here since 2016. Is the thread still alive? I'm closing on a 1990 Viking 44 ACMY tomorrow and would enjoy a place to ask a million questions specific to the Viking.

I don't think TF threads die - they just periodically hibernate. I'm not sure why I dropped off on April, '16. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Back
Top Bottom