Radar Mast Mount for GB42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I need to replace my current radar mast mount on my 2000 GB42C. Previous owner replaced an open array Furino with a smaller Garmin and left the old mount in place. It's time to replace my bimini top and I want to extend it aft to the mast so I can enclose the flybridge. The current mount is too low.

I've checked with Scanstrut and Seaview - both offer mount options and I'm leaning towards Seaview as they've been the most responsive and have offered suggestions, etc.

Anyone with a GB42C who has used either company's mount? Any other suggestions? Seaview pointed out that my mast has a slight rake and their standard mount might not end up level. They offer custom mounts if I have to go that direction. Thanks!

Attachments

• Backup Girl Portside XL.jpg
    Backup Girl Portside XL.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 71
Its difficult to see what you are asking. Why not just remove the existing and raise it? I had an aluminum mast on my GB32 and it had been powder coated white.

Mast is aluminum. Current mount is big and overkill for the Garmin radar. It has a large support strut from the mount base to the bottom of the mast bracket that blocks the bimini. I'd have to move the current bracket much, much higher up the mast to get the support strut to clear the bimini. Mounts made for the Garmin do not have the support strut and offer much better clearance.

How much money do you want to spend? If you buy a COTS mount, you could shim the base of the radar dome to level it up, that would probably be your least expensive route. Use HDPE bar stock, holds up, non-reactive, easy to work.

Alternatively, you could have a mount fabricated from aluminum and have it powder coated, that way you'll get precisely what you want. Costs vary depending on the shop doing the fabrication. Powder coating is not horribly expensive, worth the cost.

BTW, when you go to fasten the mount, either use aluminum pop rivets, or if you're looking for higher strength, use monel. DON'T use stainless, terrible for electrolysis. Monel won't.

Attachments

• mount_resize.jpg
    mount_resize.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 70
A friend of mine that has a milling machine made a wedge out of a piece of Starboard for me in order to get the radar to be level. I would not spend the extra dollars to have a custom mount made.

That's a nice looking mount but unless you actually weld it, the paint will not last. There are too many places for salt water to get in and the paint will fail around those joins. I still think that cutting off the old mount (what do you plan to do to the "scars?") and moving it is best, a fabricator or weldor can fix that.

Maybe you don't plan to keep it that long and the corrosion will not be a bother?

Not a GB42, but I can vouch for Seaview. This is a custom job to take care of radar, vhf, gps, and compass all in one that allowed for short clean runs to the dash just below it. They offered a lot of creative input for this. We had to design around the fold down mast fore and the opening hatch aft, still allowing a view for the instruments, and they hit the design parameters perfectly.

Attachments

• radar mount.jpg
    radar mount.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 81
I installed a Scanstrut on my mast when I upgraded 4 years ago. Its a really good quality and heavy duty mount and so far shows no signs of corrosion.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom