Balmar MC-614 Regulator Settings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Over the years I spent many, many hours on the phone with the late Michael Frost, the engineer who designed the Balmar regulators. I was forced to do this because the folks at Balmar had a tough time answering the questions I often had. Michael was a great guy, passionate bout his designs, and he designed a very good feature packed voltage regulator that was, and by many respects still is, way ahead of its time compared to other commercially avaible voltage regulators.

If you want one that does transitions based on current or voltage, and you are an electrically minded open-source experimental type, contact Tomasonw who posted above, in this thread, or see his blog:

Arduino based Alternator Regulator

I have one of Al's regulators and unfortunately have not had enough time to begin testing and experimenting with it. Sorry Al I promise I will get to it..;)

A few quick points to consider...

#1 I cut open a lot of dead & murdered batteries. I have yet to see a quality AGM "dried out" by overcharging, even on trawlers that leave a dock with full batteries. What I do see however are piles and piles of chronically undercharged batteries. The undercharged batteries out number over-charged AGM's by about 99.9% to .1% in my market.

The last few percent of charging takes many hours. All the energy removed from a battery should ideally be returned, plus Coulombic efficiency losses, before transitioning to float, this is nearly impossible to time exactly with voltage only regulation. There are also numerous poorly designed shore based chargers that will pop back to a 2 hour or 4 hour "egg-timer" absorption when an on-board load kicks in. Still, I rarely see batteries die from over charging. Can it happen? Yes but it is almost always due to a non-regulation issue rather than regulated even if too high.

For example a Lifeline battery using "return amps at absorption voltage" (also often called tail-current) 100% SOC is considered 0.5% of Ah capacity at 14.4V (temp compensated). This means that until you see 0.5A on a 100Ah battery, at 14.4V, the battery is not "full"..

Manufacturers such as East Penn and Enersys/Odyssey want to see 0.3% of Ah capacity for 100% SOC using "return amps at absorption voltage".

In the marine industry we have been lulled into accepting 2% as "full" by Ah counting battery monitor makers. Unfortunately a tail current of 2% is not full and will not yield the full capacity of the battery but it is, for many cruisers, full enough so as not to waste fossil fuels pushing beyond that last 1.5% to 2% of tail current. Unfortunately regularly & repeatedly not returning this last 2% can lead to sulfation, more rapid capacity lost and PSOC walk down..

Even with lab grade equipment, in ideal conditions, meaning no premature floatulation, battery at 77F etc., when charging a slightly used Lifeline AGM (100Ah battery still delivering about 96% of capacity), it still takes about 5.5 hours at a .4C charge rate (40A for a 100Ah battery) from 50% SOC to 100% SOC. The last 4% takes the longest. If you dropped to float at 2% the time to full could easily be well in excess of 8-10+ hours depending upon where you set float voltage. Set it too low and it could take 14+ hours. As your batteries age and sulfate......:facepalm:

For example a 100Ah Lifeline charged from 50% SOC for 2 hours at .4C (40% of Ah capacity) can achieve approx 96% SOC in just two hours. This is tremendous! The remaining 4%, to get to 100% SOC, takes another 3.5 hours...! This is why batteries are rarely over charged because even a slight removal of capacity requires many hours to replenish.

#2 Adjusting the field transitions is, as some have discovered, tedious and time consuming and not always very accurate or reliable because your loads on the vessel are variable.

If you want to use field threshold transitions I would strongly urge a considerably higher float voltage than you use at the dock with an IC or shore charger. This will still allow your battery to remain slightly below gassing but still actually do some charging, if you're still dropping to float prematurely.

Unfortunately, with the highly litigious society we live in, most voltage regulated charge sources in the marine industry suffer from "premature floatulation". With premature floatulation the battery makers win & you lose cycle life. A float voltage somewhere in the 13.8V range to 14.2V range, for Lifeline's, is going to be a reasonable figure for an alternator regulators float setting. The lower the float voltage the longer charging will take.

I threw a used AGM battery in my wife's classic Mercedes a number of years ago. The Bosch alternator in this car pumps out 14.47V -14.49V steadily (Fluke 289 NIST Calibrated). That battery, despite being used when I threw it in there, now has over 70,000 miles on it...

Keep in mind that a marine alternators float voltage does not need to be the same as a continuous use shore chargers float setting, where it would floated indefinitely, because on an alternator it won't be floated indefinitely. Unless you are motoring across an ocean, non-stop, set your float high enough to "finish" charging the battery in a reasonable time, if you can't program your regulator to prevent premature floatulation...

#3 Balmar has a second temp sensor port on the MC-614. This can be *creatively used, with a dash switch and resistor, to simulate the batteries going over temp. I have only done this once when an owner insisted he was going to over charge his batteries. I did it, and it made him feel better. Flip the dash switch and the resistor on the battery temp sense circuit simulated an over-temp situation creating an artificial float type reduction in target voltage.

I have been bugging Balmar/CDI for a while to offer this as a piece of mind option. In my scribbled notes I think I may have used a 2.21K resistor but don't quote me on that one.. *If you don't have a good grasp of electrical work please don't try this on your own..

#4 You can also install a dash switch and interrupt the brown/ignition wire for the first 30 minutes or so from the dock (or depending upon planned motoring duration) then flip it back on and you're now well within your not exceeding your desired duration back to full from a high SOC.

#5 b1c and A1c are timers that run out the clock duration you set them for. Calculated bulk and calculated absorption can either extend these times or end after the clock for b1c or A1c run out. They work in relation to being able to maintain voltage set point for more than 2 seconds and if threshold has either been met or not.

#6 BV, AV & FV must be set 0.1V apart from one another. If you need to adjust down, such as for LFP batteries to 13.8V +/-, you need to work backwards meaning you drop FV first then AV then BV.

#7 The Balmar regulators essentially have two absorption stages. I understand why Michael called the constant voltage stage of b1C "bulk voltage" but it is not correct terminology for a constant voltage stage and he even admitted this to me. When he created these there was nothing else like it so it was named what it was. Sadly other manufactures have now followed this lead further muddying the waters. Sounds good for marketing purposes though...

Bulk charging is generally referred to as constant-current or CC. If we go by DIN definitions bulk is "I" as in IUoU charging..

I = Bulk-Constant Current-CC-Max Potential
Uo = Absorption-Constant Voltage-CV
U = Float-Constant Voltage-CV

When we apply this to alternators I tend to prefer to describe Bulk charging as a maximum potential. Unlike a charger the output of an alternator is governed by such parameters as RPM and temperature. In "bulk" an alternator regulator is producing the most it can (it's max potential) while increasing battery terminal voltage. In bulk, voltage is not held constant unless we improperly define "bulk". For an external regulator bulk just means it is driving the alt as hard as it can.

Having two absorption voltage stages or constant voltage stages; IUoUoU is actually a nice tool. For short duration run times you can set a higher short duration voltage, and pack more energy into the battery before turning off the motor or dropping down to a longer duration absorption voltage. I will sometimes program for 0.1V to 0.2V over battery makers suggested absorption voltage recommendation for 6-36 minutes +/- or so, depending upon application, battery type and how the alternator and vessel are used.

#8 Belt Manager or as it was previously called "Amp Manger" is a field reduction based on field potential. Field potential is essentially your battery voltage. Many folks assume a belt manager reduction of level 3 is an across the board 15% reduction of a 100A alternator making it an 85A alternator, but it's not. It is a 15% reduction in the maximum field output based on the available field voltage to the regulator.

Belt Manager is a great first line defense for keeping the alternator within a safe working temp range, on your boat, and not continually pushing the temp limit leading to an early demise of the alternator. Dialing this in, and setting up BM can be achieved by forcing the alt into bulk with an inverter and space heater while the running the vessel, with engine room closed, and a temp probe connected to alt, at cruise speed. Give it a good 40 minutes to 1 hour run at cruise speeds and monitor the alt temp remotely. If it pokes above the desired limit, dial it back another 5%. You then stop the boat and let the engine run at high idle, still under full load, and make sure temp does not creep up again (lower fan speeds at fast idle). If it does, dial BM back another 5%....

#9 If I recall correctly, in about 2012 Michael re-coded the regulator for improved alt temp sensing. For what it's worth there are more than 15,000 lines of code in an MC-614.. The new code allows the regulator to hone in on the maximum sweet spot the alt can work at for the environment. Every engine bay and demand is different and belt manager is really only first level protection. Alt temps sensing in conjunction with BM creates the ultimate insurance policy for long alternator life. I call this new coding Adaptive Alternator Temp Compensation or AATC. The Balmar marketing team has largely ignored this industry leading feature, but they should not. :banghead:

When the optional alternator temp sensor is used the MC-614 will find the maximum output the alternator can safely run at, for the surrounding ambient temps, and the demand being placed on it. Other commercially available external regulators simply cut the alternators field by 50% or by 100%, when they are up on the temp limit. As such these regulators will ping-pong back and forth off the high temperature limit for as long as needed.

100% Output > Cut to 0% > Back to 100% > Cut to 0%, over & over

or

100% Output > Cut to 50% > Back to 100% > Cut to 50%, over and over

This antiquated method of temp sensing digs into an alternator performance and becomes very, very annoying. Heck Balmar's old 50% cut was annoying but the regs that drop to 0% are even worse. In contrast the MC-614's processor decreases the alternator filed in small increments (both down and up in 5% steps) until the optimum output is attained to maintain the temp at a safe level. As the alternator cools or accepted current drops off the output increases to maintain the highest output that is possible at all times. AATC means you're getting the fastest possible charging and the most out of your alternator as you can at all times. Most are completely unaware of this feature but it is a tremendous tool.

#10 The regulator B- wire or black wire in the Ford plug is the other half of the voltage sensing circuit. While the MC-614 gives you a dedicated non-current carrying positive volt sense lead it can only correct for half the drop... The Balmar manual is incorrect on the optimal location for the regulator B- wire. It needs to be connected to the battery bank negative terminal or your missing the negative side volt drop.

Alternators and Voltage Sensing

The Balmar regulators feature an "advanced programming" menu. Please do yourself a favor and use it.... The factory lawyer safe settings are just that "lawyer safe". They are far too conservative to maintain healthy batteries, and get the most cycle life out of them, in a PSOC use application.

#12 If you have a large bank and buy a 100A alternator please don't expect it to run at 100A in bulk. If you want or desire 100A as your design output in bulk, you buy a 120A to 140A alternator. This is especially true with any small case alternator. There is no small case alternator out there I have not seen cooked by continuous demand. I've also seen large frame "school bus" type alternators fried by continuous duty demand so even they benefit from belt manager.. The growth of LiFePO4 batteries has really exposed the myth of the continuous duty alternator output. The only way I know of to push an alt to full output, for long duration's, more than 45 minutes to an hour, is to remove the rectifier and rectify the alternator remotely. Bottom line if you expect 100A buy 120A+ and limit it with belt manager.. If you expect 150A buy 175A+ and limit it with belt manager. This will yield a good long service life.

Last edited:
CMS: a great post and worth rereading! The Mods should mark this one with a "sticky". Thanks for putting a lot of effort into this!

So how does solar charging factor into the equation? Sometimes the voltage doesn't get as high as might be desirable. Does this result in sulphation, or is it better to continue to take advantage of the solar charging regardless?

Jim

CMS: a great post and worth rereading! The Mods should mark this one with a "sticky". Thanks for putting a lot of effort into this!

So how does solar charging factor into the equation? Sometimes the voltage doesn't get as high as might be desirable. Does this result in sulphation, or is it better to continue to take advantage of the solar charging regardless?

Jim

Solar is never going to hurt anything and can only help. What will help more is if you can pause loads long enough to allow your solar to charge the bank to 100% SOC, and do so more than once per week. Partial state of charge cycles for more than a week really cut into cycle life.

The more frequently you can get back to 100% SOC the better off you are. If you can't get to absorption voltage daily, and hold it there, you really only have a few choices;

#1 Buy batteries more often
#2 Reduce your loads/consumption and be more efficient
#3 Increase the size of the PV array
#4 Extend your morning engine run/dino fuels charging duration

If you ever want to get back to 100%, even if it is just every third day, your sun up PV energy output needs to exceed day time loads, plus used loads overnight by the amount you need to restore + charge inefficiency....

Solar is never going to hurt anything and can only help. What will help more is if you can pause loads long enough to allow your solar to charge the bank to 100% SOC, and do so more than once per week. Partial state of charge cycles for more than a week really cut into cycle life.

The more frequently you can get back to 100% SOC the better off you are. If you can't get to absorption voltage daily, and hold it there, you really only have a few choices;

#1 Buy batteries more often
#2 Reduce your loads/consumption and be more efficient
#3 Increase the size of the PV array
#4 Extend your morning engine run/dino fuels charging duration

If you ever want to get back to 100%, even if it is just every third day, your sun up PV energy output needs to exceed day time loads, plus used loads overnight by the amount you need to restore + charge inefficiency....

CMS: Thanks for that. That is pretty much what I am doing already. We seldom go below 80% SOC overnight, and usually just to 90% SOC. On a sunny day we can get to 100% by late afternoon. But the voltage doesn't get much above 13.5 and often less than that.

Jim

CMS: Thanks for that. That is pretty much what I am doing already. We seldom go below 80% SOC overnight, and usually just to 90% SOC. On a sunny day we can get to 100% by late afternoon. But the voltage doesn't get much above 13.5 and often less than that.

Jim

How are you determining 100% SOC??

If the voltage is never getting above a float level (or out of bulk) it is pretty difficult to attain 100% SOC...

Ah, so MaineSail, Marinesail, and CMS are all Rod Collins?

Last edited:
Yeh, I mentioned Marinesail because Flywright mentioned it...and I'm on my third reading of your really excellent alt/reg HowTo articles :thumb:

Maine Sail, RC, Rod, or CMS but not "Marinesail".....;)

There are two recent alternator related articles in the alternator and regulator section of the site. I hope they can help..

MarineHowTo - Alternator & Regulator Articles

Just restarting this thread....

First ffl sets the field threshold for transitioning from Float to Abs. It does NOT play a role in the transition from Abs to Float. The problem I have been having is 24hrs into a 56hr cruise, the regulator kicks back into absorb every time someone uses the microwave. The load causes the alternator output to rise, exceeding the ffl threshold, and it goes back into abs mode. To solve this, ffl should actually be set to a high value, allowing heavy external loads on the alternator without going back into absorb.

It's no wonder people find these things hard to program, or not performing as expected.

Aha! That's something I missed, and it makes perfect sense, as I've experienced the very same sequence of operation while underway. I'll be changing mine! I, too find the Balmar documentation a bit lacking, and I'm sure it's in response to creating a manual that folks will use. I'm afraid too much detail will overwhelm the typical user. I agree fully that setting a default on these versatile but complicated devices isn't enough. It takes a good bit of tweaking to get it right, that involves some persistence and an understanding of what the regulator is tasked with. I expect that the majority of end users have little interest in tweaking, and are more than likely intimidated to the extent they'll avoid it for fear of breaking stuff.

Another feature that is minimally documented is the "Slope" (SLP) setting (advanced programming) for a regulator that monitors battery temps. Since most banks live in the hostile environment of the engine room, temperature monitoring of the bank will prevent damage from overcharging at higher temps. The down side is that the OEM setting probably doesn't match the temperature curve that the battery wants, and there's no explanation of how to determine the correct setting for the bank's published curve. Further complicating things, different manufacturers follow different temperature curves.

I experienced chronic undercharging while underway, and eventually related it to the SLP setting: it was set too high, and did not allow the float voltage to go high enough to fully charge. There is scant information about this setting; ultimately I had a conversation with Balmar support and received some guidance on the function as well as a recommendation for a new setting that more closely matches the temp profile of my batteries. It's not one size fits all, the profiles for different manufacturers' products vary enough to warrant tweaking the setting for the published profile.

I confess, my understanding of the setting is limited to obtaining the desired result. As explained, the setting is PWM related, the decimal is superfluous; a higher value sets a higher temperature difference per degree C. From where the difference is referenced, I am unaware. From my notes, the OEM setting is about 037, my setting for Full River L16-2V batteries was changed to 023. It made a significant difference in the charging behavior, eliminating the chronic undercharge. At the end of a day's run, I'm routinely seeing 100% SOC.

An important takeaway from this discussion is, as others have pointed out, that you should know the charging profile for the battery you're using, and strive to match that profile to gain the optimum benefit that the regulator is capable of providing. It's not enough to simply install and set a preset, unless that preset happens to meet the profile for your system, an unlikely coincidence!

Last edited:
Just restarting this thread....

Reedstr, for the past 3 years I too thought Ffl was the current threshold for the absorb to float transition, but after talking to Balmar today, I learned that it isn't. Their documentation is really quite poor in explaining all this, with sloppy use of terminology, and contradicting statements. Here's what I learned

First ffl sets the field threshold for transitioning from Float to Abs. It does NOT play a role in the transition from Abs to Float. The problem I have been having is 24hrs into a 56hr cruise, the regulator kicks back into absorb every time someone uses the microwave. The load causes the alternator output to rise, exceeding the ffl threshold, and it goes back into abs mode. To solve this, ffl should actually be set to a high value, allowing heavy external loads on the alternator without going back into absorb.

Second, Balmar's notion of Bulk and Absorb do not correspond to the industry norms for those terms. It's probably better to think of it as one single phase that encompass both.

Their Bulk stage runs until all three of the following conditions are met:

1) the bulk voltage is attained. Using industry standard terms, this is when "bulk" ends, but it is NOT when Balmar bulk ends. The next two conditions must also be met.

2) the bulk time has elapsed. This sets a minimum time in bulk mode.

3) the field voltage had dropped below FbA. This is where Balmar has smushed together the industry definitions of bulk and absorb. By industry norms, dropping below a threshold acceptance current is when absorb ends. So when this happens on a balmar, your batteries are charged, assuming you have this value set correctly.

So when a Balmar comes out of Bulk, by all other industry definitions is is actually coming out if absorb since it has BOTH achieved. The target bulk/absorb voltage, and the battery acceptance current has dropped to a prescribed level.

Now Balmar's "absorb" stage begins, and is really just a top off before going to Float. The same three criteria above must be met, except it uses the absorb voltage (Av) rather than the bulk voltage. And the regulator will only let you set the absorb voltage to something less than the bulk voltage. So all absorb really does is continue bulk/absorb for a little longer at a slightly lower voltage. Critical to note, exiting Absorb and going to float is based on FbA, just like transitioning from Bulk to absorb.

It's no wonder people find these things hard to program, or not performing as expected.
TT, would you post your specific settings for your LFP bank? Some of this still baffles me.

Last edited:
...still baffled?? I am quite baffled as well.
Got a Centerfielder II and the required regulators a year ago. Still staring at them in the box. (Deer in the headlights.)
I have the old GM type alternators probably 80 amp max each on the twin Perkins.
Just replaced all batts last year. Two 12v 4D starts and four 275A 6v golf batts in series for the house. All lead acid. A 12v system.
PO had combo 4D LA starts and two 8D AGM house
All were dead, but one of the INTERSTATE 4Ds was still all good at 15 years!!
Needless to say, the fridge would not be running in the am on the hook. No genset onboard.
I like to do things myself, but i’ve convinced myself that I could really screw this up. The low output alternators may be my saving grace if I don’t get the programing just right.

Last edited:
...still baffled?? I am quite baffled as well.
Got a Centerfielder II and the required regulators a year ago. Still staring at them in the box. (Deer in the headlights.)
I have the old GM type alternators probably 80 amp max each on the twin Perkins.
Just replaced all batts last year. Two 12v 4D starts and four 275A 6v golf batts in series for the house. All lead acid. A 12v system.
PO had combo 4D LA starts and two 8D AGM house
All were dead, but one of the INTERSTATE 4Ds was still all good at 15 years!!
Needless to say, the fridge would not be running in the am on the hook. No genset onboard.
I like to do things myself, but i’ve convinced myself that I could really screw this up. The low output alternators may be my saving grace if I don’t get the programing just right.

Check out some of the YouTube vids on programming. Yes, there’s a learning curve, but it’s logical. Also, Balmar tech support is excellent.

I had the jitters before installation of my Balmar alternator and regulator so I hired a local tech to work with me through the steps. He didn't have direct Balmar experience but he and I had each studied the manual beforehand. He had enough to help me make sense of it all and was willing to make all the connections for me.

I have many pages printed from CMS's page and others to work me through a total understanding of all the settings as an ER reference. (I can't read my tablet on my back in the ER!) But with the minor changes needed, the programming really wasn't that tough for the LA batts.

It was money and experience well worth it. My stbd alt charges my 660AH house and my stock port alt handles the single G31 start batt. You should easily be able to start both engines on a single 4D, but it would require some big cable mods. You could cheaply convert to 2 G31s next time around if you wanted.

Thanks guys,

I will get out the manual, and see what I can discern, then most likely call in for some help. I may do the separation of one to one -starts and house on different alternators. We do troll on a single engine quite a bit, but I do not think that would be of huge impact, and we do alternate the troll side to side.

The hitch is that when on the hook, the house will drain, and I may need both alts to recharge for the next night....

I did consider the 31s Al, but decided for a little extra kick, and the price wasn't bad. The start batts are each dedicated to one engine. Knot Salted has a momentary 'combiner switch' to join the two start batts so in-case one dies, I can still start both engines.

I went with Crown brand made nearby. Not well known, but seem to be of good build. The rep even installed them and took cores away at no charge!!

:dance:

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I will get out the manual, and see what I can discern, then most likely call in for some help. I may do the separation of one to one -starts and house on different alternators. We do troll on a single engine quite a bit, but I do not think that would be of huge impact, and we do alternate the troll side to side.

The hitch is that when on the hook, the house will drain, and I may need both alts to recharge for the next night....

I did consider the 31s Al, but decided for a little extra kick, and the price wasn't bad. The start batts are each dedicated to one engine. Knot Salted has a momentary 'combiner switch' to join the two start batts so in-case one dies, I can still start both engines.

I went with Crown brand made nearby. Not well known, but seem to be of good build. The rep even installed them and took cores away at no charge!!

:dance:

If your alts aren’t adequate, you can upgrade them pretty cheaply. I bought two Delcos rated at 100 amps each from Hucherson in Tampa. Think I paid about $100 each for them. They’re very easy to work with and can customize the alternator to fit your engine.

I also installed one of these to charge the start bank.

https://shop.pkys.com/Balmar-DDC-12...MI0feA5drP4AIVkYdpCh2L5QLZEAQYASABEgIvOfD_BwE

It only does so after the house bank reaches a set voltage, so the majority of the time both alternators are available to charge the house bank. Our house bank is 1248 a/h and we are always fully charged after a day’s run.

Ok this just a thought since I'm redoing our bank and have ordered the Balmar SG200, we already have the a balmar alternator and MC-614.. It seems it would not be too much of a leap to tie the regulator and the battery monitor together. You would then have the feedback necessary to dynamically control the alternator....

Thank you.
I will study up!

Trying to upload a pic to learn more about my existing setup....
What is the purpose of the resistor? In upper left with the single tiny wire from the alternator and two larger green wires on the other end?? Seems to be ceramic body.

Attachments

• 79326C73-9BD4-49DE-947B-A4212A0B79AD.jpg
    79326C73-9BD4-49DE-947B-A4212A0B79AD.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 131
  • FBD27518-A090-4874-9D4B-AB6A1AA25CE3.jpg
    FBD27518-A090-4874-9D4B-AB6A1AA25CE3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
If your alts aren’t adequate, you can upgrade them pretty cheaply. I bought two Delcos rated at 100 amps each from Hucherson in Tampa. Think I paid about $100 each for them. They’re very easy to work with and can customize the alternator to fit your engine.

I also installed one of these to charge the start bank.

https://shop.pkys.com/Balmar-DDC-12...MI0feA5drP4AIVkYdpCh2L5QLZEAQYASABEgIvOfD_BwE

It only does so after the house bank reaches a set voltage, so the majority of the time both alternators are available to charge the house bank. Our house bank is 1248 a/h and we are always fully charged after a day’s run.

Yes, My alternators are rated at 72 amps. Not a lot, but having both online at the same time with the Balmar controller should help. I will be looking into stronger units. Noticed some black dust, and have not changed belts recently. Looking at the power twist and accu link urethane belts. Has anyone tried them?

I am trying to figure out if I can even use my existing alternators with the Balmar 614s. They are Delco 10si models, 72 amps. The internal regulators need to be removed/bypassed - and Balmar customer service is not sure what I should do, and I called a reman company to see about getting a harness made, and they said they would not know how - that nobody wires up external VRs, Just the opposite...

Dunno about your Delcos but most good alternator shops should know how to set up an external regulator, I would think.

I have a Balmar 621 alternator on my stbd engine that actually has an internal reg and is set up for external regulation. I was just reading today about the brown wire that is the internal/external regulator excite wire. I plan to install a switch as shown on page 9 here as a backup for external reg failure. If the ext reg fails, I can throw a switch at the helm to utilize the internal reg. (What can I say...I'm a big fan of redundancy.)

http://www.balmar.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/sup-0207.pdf

Perhaps something similar could be set up on your Delco???

The problem with converting OEM alternators to external regulation is that if the regulator isn't programmed to go easy on the field strength, or the alternator isn't fitted with temperature control, it can quickly overheat and fry it. Quickly being a matter of minutes. Maybe more than a couple, but it doesn't take long at full field. They just aren't built for that kind of service. Temperature monitoring will prevent that, worth the extra $$ and effort to implement.

I'm not sure I'd trust a shop that says that external regulation isn't possible. It's not rocket science.

Thanks Al and Maern

I will plan on temp sensing.
The switch to reactivate the stock reg is interesting!

Ultimately i should opt for higher power better cooled alts.
Not this year unless I must.

Curious as to how to run a field wire without going through the old regulator, but clearly I understand precious little about all this.

I am trying to figure out if I can even use my existing alternators with the Balmar 614s. They are Delco 10si models, 72 amps.

The 10SI can be converted however the way most shops do it is to tap into the brush and pull a wire out through any old hole in the case. We have seen numerous instances of these shorting to the case. If a shop can't figure out how to convert an alternator to external regulation they really are not qualified to set your alternator up to the duty you desire.

The other issue with a stock 10SI or 12SI is that the factory stators and rotors are using a low grade magnet wire with a relatively low temp tolerance insulation. Under high heat conditions it can literally melt the insulation. They also use light auto duty rectifiers that also can't really handle the heat. We build a line of 10SI frame alternators, for external regulation, but we are custom making the regulator plates, so the build is done in a professional manner. Even though we can have stators and rotors wound to produce more current, we will only build these frames to 90A, as above that point they don't tend to cool well enough.

Makes very good sense of this. Thank you CMS

Still searching for reasonable and readily available alternators to replace my two 10si models to go with Balmar set-up - Not going for the Balmar alts.
Found a local shop with good reputation, in business a long time.
They suggest a stock Denso model that should fit my mounts and gave me a core to try. Will update on that fitment. not sure of amperage, but they think around 100 max. Idle not so much.... my 10si (two) each put out 72 amps max - idle rate unknown.

online, Mechman tech said that if they modify their S model 170 amp for external regulator, there will be no warranty. so I think they are out of favor.

With regard to Battery temp sensors feeding Balmar regulators, are they all the same? I presume a bi-metal strip feeding two wires. Is Balmar worth the $47 vs $20? I will need three, I think ---Port Start, Stbd Start, and House bank- so not a huge deal either way. I am curious though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom