Isolation transformer Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very good Kevin. I just had one installed. I reported it here.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/my-fall-electrical-projects-42090.html

It works well and I am pleased. No continuity between the shore power ground and the ground on the boat. (I checked). I also replaced the wiring from the shore power to the panel. I also installed a breaker within a few inches of the shore power inlet. I used split weave for the “conduit”.

I think it’s a pretty straight forward install, but hired a marine electrician, as the consequence of any mistakes is large.

Jim

Very good Kevin. I just had one installed. I reported it here.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/my-fall-electrical-projects-42090.html

It works well and I am pleased. No continuity between the shore power ground and the ground on the boat. (I checked). I also replaced the wiring from the shore power to the panel. I also installed a breaker within a few inches of the shore power inlet. I used split weave for the “conduit”.

I think it’s a pretty straight forward install, but hired a marine electrician, as the consequence of any mistakes is large.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Your installation looks nice!

Right now I’m trying to figure out where to put them. Not only is size a consideration, but so is weight!

Yes exactly. The most difficult issue is location. I would rather have had mine behind the washer/dryer near the shore power inlet, but the pipes and access back there was problematic, so we decided to put it in the engine room. I’ve “warmed up” to the location now. Rather than hang all the weight on a bulkhead or backing somehow, it sits beside a battery bank. The only trade off has been a longer cable run than I wanted but the voltage drop is relatively minor, as compared with 12 VDC cable run issues.

Jim

The unit we have does hum a bit, so we didn’t want it in a sleeping area. The best suitable place on our Defever also turned out to be the ER. I mounted it on a bulkhead and had three stainless steel “staples” made as attachment points. The prongs of each staple are threaded rod and the connecting pieces are robust stainless bar stock. The prongs/studs penetrate the wall and the connecting pieces serve as backing plates to spread the load. (The Charles Isoboost I installed was well over 200 lbs.).

We lowered the unit through a hatch onto planks in the ER and maneuvered it into position. Alignment and proper hole placement in the bulkhead were critical, but the transformer slid onto the protruding studs on the first try. The phots I have don’t show electrical connections. I’ve had zero problems with AC power since installing it.

Attachments

• 097C9328-4242-4441-9FC9-C34B392681E6.jpg
    097C9328-4242-4441-9FC9-C34B392681E6.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 8535595D-D6F9-4BD8-B512-4D9C3AAAB441.jpg
    8535595D-D6F9-4BD8-B512-4D9C3AAAB441.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Just a small point - you do not need a "marine" unit, it is totally covered and protected inside your boat and the entire transformer is encapsulated so go for aftermarket and save yourself some boat dollars. For example: Beaver Electric, near Vancouver, BC.

Angus: is the “ISO boost” version for 30 amps or for 50 amp service? I would have preferred the ISO boost version but could not find a source. At 200 lbs, that’s a lot of weight!

Maybe some space on the platforms outboard of the main engines? One each side retains balance or both one side to solve out of balance. Forward is usually better on BL4788 and M490 since they tend to gain weight aft from added batteries, tenders, etc. Engine room does not have weather deck hatches to leak onto them.

Yes exactly. The most difficult issue is location. I would rather have had mine behind the washer/dryer near the shore power inlet, but the pipes and access back there was problematic, so we decided to put it in the engine room. I’ve “warmed up” to the location now. Rather than hang all the weight on a bulkhead or backing somehow, it sits beside a battery bank. The only trade off has been a longer cable run than I wanted but the voltage drop is relatively minor, as compared with 12 VDC cable run issues.

Jim

Angus: is the “ISO boost” version for 30 amps or for 50 amp service? I would have preferred the ISO boost version but could not find a source. At 200 lbs, that’s a lot of weight!

JD, the one I have is 50 amps. Thought I read somewhere that Charles isn’t making them anymore.

It was a 250-lb basketball :D.

Back
Top Bottom