Propeller Sand Shoe bolt missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottbarone

I have a 30' Mainship Pilot Rum Runner Edition. I recently had my bottom cleaned and my diver said there was a bolt missing on the Propeller Sand Shoe Missing, the bottom bolt. Does anyone know what size bolt this is?

Last edited:
What is a propellor sand shoe?

Gordon - It is a metal bar that protects the propeller and rudder if you hit bottom. It fastens to the bottom of the boat and goes under the propeller and rudder.

The correct term for that bar is "rudder shoe". Your post doesn't state where the missing bolt is, and the size of bolt is determined by how the manufacturer constructed the shoe and how it's attached to the hull and rudder. On my Nordic Tug, the shoe is thru-bolted with 3 bolts through the hull (circled in red), and the rudder post rests in a bearing at the end of the bar. First picture shows the shoe where it's attached to the hull. The bolts and nuts are covered in a layer of BoatLIFE caulk. This picture was taken when I damaged the prop hitting a rock. Also shows how Interlux Trilux bottom paint failed in fresh water (boat is docked up a fresh water river). Second pic is after the prop repair and I'm ready for spray painting the prop with Rustoleum cold galvanized paint. You can see where the bolts are capped with BoatLIFE Went back to Pettit's Hydrocoat on the shoe and rudder.

Attachments

• prop2_LI.jpg
    prop2_LI.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 84
  • repaired_prop.jpg
    repaired_prop.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 76
If you’ve lost one, the next time you haul I’d remove and inspect all of them. It should be done every tens years or so. These bolts, if stainless steel, are subject to crevice corrosion. Don’t ask me how I know.

What is a propeller sand shoe?

Here's what our Mainship 34 HT looks like - is the Pilot the same or different? no idea what size the bolts are though.
It's Also a nice "insurance policy"

I forget exactly what the fwd attachment looks like but if I recall correctly both ends are through bolted w/ nuts - in that case what ever fits better than nothing - I'm guessing they are 3/8" bolts. Mine is out of the water but over an hr away or I'd go check.

Attachments

• Sand Shoe.jpg
    Sand Shoe.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 69
The correct term for that bar is "rudder shoe". Your post doesn't state where the missing bolt is, and the size of bolt is determined by how the manufacturer constructed the shoe and how it's attached to the hull and rudder. On my Nordic Tug, the shoe is thru-bolted with 3 bolts through the hull (circled in red), and the rudder post rests in a bearing at the end of the bar. First picture shows the shoe where it's attached to the hull. The bolts and nuts are covered in a layer of BoatLIFE caulk. This picture was taken when I damaged the prop hitting a rock. Also shows how Interlux Trilux bottom paint failed in fresh water (boat is docked up a fresh water river). Second pic is after the prop repair and I'm ready for spray painting the prop with Rustoleum cold galvanized paint. You can see where the bolts are capped with BoatLIFE Went back to Pettit's Hydrocoat on the shoe and rudder.

Mine is the one where it connects to the rudder. Thx for the reply and giving me the correct term.

Here is a photo I have on file that shows strut attachment pretty well. I do not have anything that shows the end of the keel. Prop shaft is 1 3/4" so you may be able to scale it from the photos and sort it out. Would be helpful for diver to let you know which is missing. They look at least 1/2" to me maybe 5/8". Get a few of the likely suspects and return the ones that do not fit. 1/2" bolt will have 3/4" nut, 5/8" a 15/16" nut. Admittedly a long shot...

Attachments

• DSC05471.jpg
    DSC05471.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 75
That's what mine looks like - it is the one that goes into the rudder. That is helpful information and good suggestion on buying a few different ones. Thx

Here is a pic of it. It is the one that connects to rudder

Attachments

• sand_shoe001.jpg
    sand_shoe001.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 70
  • sandshoe_2001.jpg
    sandshoe_2001.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 72
What year is your Pilot 30? Ours is a 03' 30 II and we're experiencing a loud noise like a rattle at high speed, above 14 kts. I suspect it's the strut attachment to the Rudder, seems to have about 1/4 in. play in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom