Florida panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi marinas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Had a thought this AM. My boat is on Longboat Key currently, surrounded by red tide and dead fish. Was wondering about moving it closer to Texas for awhile , maybe within (long) driving distance from Victoria. We have vacationed on Dauphin Island, Destin FL and points in between, but I’ve never looked at marinas there.

We love our marina on LB Key because it’s right across the street from a very nice beach, has a nice pool, decent showers, a workshop. Plus it’s pretty cheap at $600 mo. Any good marinas with close beach access in this Dauphin Island to Destin area? Maybe a good floating dock that could take a hurricane hit?

Thanks for any ideas. I cruised through this area a few years ago but mostly anchored out so didn’t see many marinas.

Last edited:
Anyone tried Lafitte Cove Marina on Pensacola Beach? Right across from Pensacola Beach.

IMG_3837.jpg

Anyone tried Lafitte Cove Marina on Pensacola Beach? Right across from Pensacola Beach.

View attachment 80096

I wouldn't consider this a "hurricane hole" marina. Take a look at Homeport and the Wharf in Gulfshore. Both very protected, won't force you out during storms. Miss. marinas will make you evacuate for name storms and so will Pensacola marinas along the Bay shores.

Yeah def not a hurricane hole. Wife really likes the beach access however.

I didn’t think about forced evac. That would be bad when I’m 9 hours away. Thanks, will check out the ones you recommended. I remember cruising past LuLu’s a couple years ago.

Last edited:
Barber's Marina in Elberta, AL is a great place. Low cost but kind of off the main drag.

I did the trip from Houston to Florida and have all the charts and guide books If you need them?

Thanks hjorgan and Mike.

I’m not planning on coming all the way back to Houston at this time so don’t need the guides right now.

Are you live aboard . . . That could limit your selection of marinas . . . If not, options are much greater . . . Many mentioned above work well except Lafitte Cove, definitely not a hurricane hole, but they look unlikely (knock on wood) this season.

Not liveaboard. Lafitte Cove might be a moot point anyway since nobody will call me back after multiple attempts, voicemails, emails. I guess it’s not a typical marina with staff.

That marina is basically IN the bar/restaurant Peg Leg Pete's. It is a very popular place with live music every night. Unless you really like to be where the party is, it might not be for you.

If you cannot get an answer, you might try calling the Peg Leg Pete's number and talk to them.

That actually sounds like my kind of place. [emoji6]

I’m just looking for an escape from the red tide for awhile. I probably should just get on the boat and start cruising north up the coast and see where I end up. If I like a marina and the area beaches and cruising grounds, I (or the boat at least) can stay for awhile.

I was trying to get close enough to my house to be within one day’s driving distance. I know that seems like a crazy long drive to most folks, but being from Texas I’m kind of used to making long drives. It’s pretty zen for me if I have some good audible books or podcasts to listen to. I do worry about having to leave the marina during a named storm since I don’t live aboard and will be a day’s drive away, so I can’t have a marina with those restrictions.

So cardude01 where did u end up?

Ha! Still in the same place. Typical.

Ha! Still in the same place. Typical.

You might be happier just staying down in the area where you're at. Winter is here and it gets cold in the panhandle..... even in Sarasota it gets cold.

Are you anchoring, at a marina or?

I’m at a little marina on Longboat Key. Cool little spot actually, now that the dead fish are gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom