This thread is for thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoleo

I have a 34 ft MYDC trawler boat with a large flybridge enclosure made of Strataglass and Sunbrella fabric. It is about 5 years old. The design and apparent construction is superb. I live in Florida. Problem is -it is "coming apart at the seams!!" It was stitched together with cheap dacron thead. Sun has burnt it up. For another $20 in cost it should have been stitched together originally with Goretex "Tenara" thread which would last kind of forever Now I have to spend around $1000 to remove it and have it re-stitched. WOE upon the boaters WOE!!! Is this just stupidity or is it just lack of info????WOE WOE WOE

They did cheap out a bit, but there is extra labor involved too - Gortex thread can be a bitch to work with. Might have bee a case of, "Well, we are going to sell the boat in two years anyway, so....."

There are many contractors that cheap out on canvas, vinyl and thread. They make extra that way and don't care obviously about repeat business. Unfortunately owners need to be savvy enough to insist that certain products like StrataGlass, Sunbrella, Tenara, be used. I do my own canvas work and do agree Tenara can be tough to work with but a good brand of bonded polyester should last 10 years likely and that is probably the life of the canvas depending on geography.

Yes, Tenara thread is a bit tougher to set up the machine but once it is set up properly it isn’t hard to work with. It is all I ever use since it lasts forever.

This thread is tearing apart at the seams.....

Back
Top Bottom