Small Whaler, Small inflatable, or RIB? Thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7tiger7 wrote:
Also - do the aluminum dinghies have positive bouyancy / built in flotation?
If my whaler or inflatable gets swamped by a wave, or capsized - it will still float.. not so sure if an aluminum dinghy would do the same if swamped? (I'm asking - its not rhetorical - I really don't know...)
Some aluminum skiffs do have foam floatation in the seats.

Bullfrog Boats have bouyant polyethylene tubes (not deflatable), with some foam inside as well, and an aluminum bottom. I have one, and love it. They are heavier than an inflatable, but have a much longer lifespan.

Mention was made of the heavy weight of some boats, but if you are towing, I see that as negligible, and even desireable, as they handle better when towed in rough seas.

There is my three cents worth.*

I do'nt recall any aluminum skiffs w/o flotation. Many here in Alaska are tied to the float half full of water w an outboard on the stern and STILL they float....low but they float. Actually I do'nt even like aluminum boats but they work so well. I was going to sell my skiff before we came south but I thought about it and decided there's lots of neat things we can do w that skiff. We'll put a hitch on the Toyota go way up into Canada. Would cost us a bunch w a heavy boat and a V8 tow vehicle. But as a dink most could be replaced w an aluminum skiff that weighed half as much and would carry much more. A 12' aluminum skiff weighs only 100lbs. It could be easily packed up a beach after the small 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke went up the beach first. Or you could drag it much further and easier than others ..even over rocks. They do'nt row well but I'll bet they row REALLY well compared to a RIB. Alum skiffs are can do boats. Just say'in

Eric

I think it is a law that production boats under 22' are equipped with a certain amt. of foam flotation.Even small riveted aluminum boats have foam flotation on the underside of their bench seats

Ditto, or at least something very close to that.

Koliver wrote....

"Before I sold each of my old inflatables, at 16 yrs and at 5yrs, I cleaned them up (not for the very first time) to bright, new condition, by removing the oxidation that accumulates on the surface. I have only had Hypalon fabric, so I have no recommendation for Polyester."

Koliver, what did you use to clean off that oxidation and improve the looks of your hypalon inflatables, if I may ask..?
I also agree with you, some of the comments on here are a bit wide of the mark with respect to the longevity of inflatables, if made from good material like hypalon, however, their colour does fade, and I'd love to be able to improve the look of mine a bit. It was a sort of army yellow colour, but now looks sort of grey....
However, for the record guys, my present tender has faithfully served through four boats and over 28 yrs, being a UK designed but NZ built Tinker Tramp, sailing inflatable, and it is still going strong, other than the fact I have nicked the mast, (as we seldom sailed it), for the pole supporting my Airbreeze wind genny, and I have replaced the bow combing, and painted over the previously varnished marine ply seat, floor sections and transom. Oh, and repaired 3 slow punctures in that whole time.* It goes well with just a light, air-cooled Honda 2.5hp 4 stroke, alos rows quite well, and has never let us down.* It tracks well when towed as well.* I think it's the almost catamaran type hull effect from the way the pontoons are placed that gives it such good poise.

Sorry, mine's the one to right of picture.* Pity its not a bit closer.

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 20th of January 2012 06:54:15 AM

Attachments

• image000.jpg
    image000.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 364
I'm pretty sure*USCG requires*20 feet and under*for the positive floatation but many manufacturers do it to boats larger if they make it a selling point.* I've read but can't confirm ABYC requires it for 26 feet and under.

For those who think they are going to right a flipped over carolina skiff or boston whaler...good luck.* Often they float so level and have an air pocket underneath that righting them without a LOT of people, or parbuckle them with another boat.* The hardest 2 boats I've had to flip over after 10 tears of salvage work was a 14 carolina skiff and a 13 whaler.

Also my advice is be very careful of these smaller boats with more than 15hp 4stroke outboards with the outboard in the raised position. They want to roll over very easily and like I said, one that happens you could be in for a real rodeo.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 20th of January 2012 06:52:17 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 20th of January 2012 07:07:46 AM

"what did you use to clean off that oxidation and improve the looks of your hypalon inflatables, if I may ask..?"

I know this was not asked of me, but my wife uses Flitz to clean both polyester and hypalon. It works awesome, cleans it right up pretty easily. It is expensive, but she gets it free from where she works (An internet*order comapny that sells Flitz, there are cans that get returned dmamged and no one else there wants them).

I'll take a can of damaged Flitz!! I can be in Mystic in an hour! :-D

2DASEA I would like to see a pic of your Carolina skiff as well, especially the rub rail and your lifting points. I too have a J12 with a center console and a 35 Johnson 2 stroke on it. She runs like a scalded cat. I have been kicking around the idea of using it as my dink as well. The Californian has an Achilles 12 foot rib with 8hp Mercury on it. I like the soft sides of the RHIB but hate that there is no interior room compared to the CS, even though they are the same width. A con of the CS is the Johnson is a thirsty little bugger and I can't keep my handoff the throttle. Maybe replacing the 35 with a 4 stroke 25? I do like the idea of an Aluminum V-Hull for the weight and durability. The V-hull is a major plus because the CS will pound in a chop and makes for a wet hard ride. Plus I bet the Aluminun V-hull would ride just fine with either the 8 Merc or maybe a 15? Rhibs are nice but as some have said your dink is the family car and you need room for stuff and also another platform to fish and dive that is stable and rugged. Dman just talked my self into a Aluminun skiff time to go boat shopping again.

Something to keep in mind with an aluminum dinghy if it is bare aluminum and not painted...... If the dinghy is going to be carried on the stern in such a position that soot from the exhaust collects on it, this plus the salt water splashing onto the dinghy can lead to an acidic situation that could eat through or pinhole the aluminum. I've seen this happen once.

If you are towing a dinghy often I suggest some portable lights to be mounted on the big boat to indicate that you are towing. You may not plan to run at night at all, but circumstances might require it, and having lights will cover you for an insurance claim and legal obligations.

Good point, if I do go that route in my case she'll ride up top.

Hey Marin,*

Why not paint the aluminum boat. I did mine and the bottom anti-foul was quite a job w about 10 coats of paint. The only thing on my skiff that's not painted is the cap rail. I think most people buy RIBs because they are popular. Being in style for yachtsmen is a high priority and folks just think the RIBs are cuter than real boats. Bias......you bet. But I think real boats are better than rubber duckies and RIBs. WAY too much space is lost in the tubes of inflatables and their performance is poor. Actually the dinghy I like best is the Trinka. But the Carolina Skiff has merritt. It's a totally flat bottom and I'm sure it rides hard but soooo many good features. Not a light boat though and a bit less stylish that an aluminum skiff. Speaking of style if you need it get a RIB. I think ones dinghy storage, launching and retrieving system is more important than the dinghy itself. Perhaps the dinghy tells more about the skipper than his boat?

Eric

No the carolina skiff J12 is 230lbs and the Johnson 35 is 120lbs. So they are not too heavy.

nomadwilly wrote:
Hey Marin,*

Why not paint the aluminum boat.
*That would be the thing to do if the boat was going to be positioned to collect exhaust soot, like on davits off the stern.* In the one case I witnessed where the acid resulting from the mixing of soot and salt water ate holes in the bottom of of the dinghy, the boat was unpainted other than a color stripe down the side of the hull.

Charter,

Your'e right. Sounds like an excellent dinghy. Great performance, great capacity, great stability and great durability. Go for it!

Marin,*

Get plastic then.*

Eric

Peter B

I first tried Old Dutch bathroom cleanser. It worked pretty well. Then I tried Toluene. (use in a well ventilated place) It takes off the glue that you use to attach patches, Weaver davits, etc, and everything else. Lots of folks shy from using such a strong solvent, but the results are awesome. Then wipe on 303 protectant and you are good for the season.

Toluene eh, yes - remember that from lab days - strong smell - great cleaner. Nothing better for cleaning spring metal watchstraps as I remember. Makes sense, now where to obtain in our neck of the woods...?

MY aluminum dink was probably made in the mid 1960's..

Any 50 year old condom boats ?

Toluene is very hard to find (legitimately) in my Center City Philly neighborhood -- it's used for making crystal meth and no stores are allowed to sell it to the public. I found an "all organic solvent" at the hardware store which worked fairly well on my dinghy. BTW, if you do find toluene, wear a respirator. The fumes can do very bad, irreversible things to your liver.

dvd

So now I'm on the fence - a Whaler 11, or Whaler 13 (and I do not plan to carry either on deck or swim platform - simply towing)....

In my opinion there's never a time when a boat is too big, but there are plenty of times when a boat is too small. Particularly in the case of boats like the ones you are contemplating.

7tiger7 wrote:
So now I'm on the fence - a Whaler 11, or Whaler 13 (and I do not plan to carry either on deck or swim platform - simply towing)....
Towing and only towing???...I'd go with a carolina skiff 16 with console and bench seat (never was much of a Whaler fan)...but the drift is...bigger is better until it won't be*easy to manage while docking*or won't fit in slips with you.

Both situations can still be adaptable...but if you anchor more than marina...then bigger is definitely better.

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 08:19:31 AM

Hi Scott,
you don't think a 16' boat would be too large to tow around with a 43' boat? Sounds too big - but maybe if i saw a Carolina SKiff 16' next to my boat, I could judge better.

7tiger7 wrote:
Hi Scott,
you don't think a 16' boat would be too large to tow around with a 43' boat? Sounds too big - but maybe if i saw a Carolina SKiff 16' next to my boat, I could judge better.
*Not really...when you get near a marina you have a choice...ask for a T head or long floater, tie it close to the stern if going to a slip, or drop it off at the fuel dock*(if the place is set up that way)*and come back for it.

I assistance tow hundreds of boats a year and I tow them (up to 50+ footers) into slips all the time with a 26 foot, single engine*shamrock.* So a light, durable, well padded 16 footer behind a twin 43 footer should be OK if you are careful and plan ahead a little.

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 23rd of January 2012 06:38:08 AM

Hi Scott,
thanks for the tip. By the way - where do you live?
And also - I love the lines of your Albin... beautiful bow, and sheer line.

7tiger7 wrote:
Hi Scott,
thanks for the tip. By the way - where do you live?
And also - I love the lines of your Albin... beautiful bow, and sheer line.
*Thanks...Avalon, NJ

I thought I posted this but it's not here. We met this guy in Pertesburg this spring and he towed this 16 to 18' stitch and glue plywood skiff from the Seattle area and reported the towing experience was a good one. I'm w Marin on this but there is a downside to a dinghy that can't be carried up the beach for a few hours or even overnight. A 12 to 14' Porta Bote or any other 100lb dinghy w a 60lb OB can be easily packed up the beach if the distance is'nt too great. But a big dinghy boat like my 16' Crestliner may be so capable the portability issue may be of less importance. My aluminum skiff can carry 6 people at 25 knots for a great distance. One could do many things w a dinghy like that. But here's the guy's Diablo Grande that I saw in Petersburg.*

Attachments

• sth71657.jpg
    sth71657.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 82
  • sth71656.jpg
    sth71656.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 92
I certainly subscribe to the "go big or go home" theory of Dinghy choices, however, one caution. Several years ago I tried towing a 19' Fibreform with a 150hp outdrive. Definitely a bi**h to organize for docking or anchoring.

If you are considering anything significantly bigger than what you can comfortably lift up a beach with two people, it will be awkward to manoeuvre around when you are getting set for docking. If you choose something big and hard, your hull will get scarred up, your wife will blame you for a bad choice, and you will ultimately get rid of it. Just saying

-- Edited by koliver on Monday 23rd of January 2012 09:22:48 PM

Back
Top Bottom