Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
If I had a dog ...

Quote:
markpierce wrote:... it would be a Portuguese Water Dog.* My pet-sitting sister came over today and introduced me to a three-month-old Portuguese water dog,*about half-grown.* The animal was well-behaved, followed command, friendly, eager to learn and to please.* Read they don't shed (but need haircuts.)* They were bred to assist Portuguese fishermen to retrieve gear,*carry messages*between boats and shore, etcetera,*so they've got to be good swimmers.* Sounds like an ideal boat dog.
*Mark,

They*can be*fairly active.* They (like many other breeds) are very good at manipulating their owners.* Health wise they (as a breed) are in pretty good shape.* No big problems as long as the breeder did their home work.

Here are some pictures of our dog.* The last one is a three generation picture.* Grandma, Son and Grandson.** A retired show dog is sometime a good match for folks.* You miss the puppy stage problems (good and bad) and show dogs are crate trained and most are house trained.* Of course they are lead trained as well. Ours was 17 months old when we got him and he is a very much "love the one you are with" dog.* So if we have to leave him with someone for a couple of days he has no problems with it.* This is not true of a lot of breeds.

One more thing.* They all are not natural swimmers.* Yes if they fall in they will swim but the ones that have been around water when they are pups will be*more relaxed in the water.* If you get one that has not had water experience then it just takes some time and patience to get them to start.* Once they learn they*will do it like they were bred too.

If you are interested, or anyone else that may be interested for that matter, I'll be more than glad to help you locate a good breeder and a quality dog.* Also the parent club web site is

http://www.pwdca.org/newmembers/

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1067124&aBID=115492[/img][img]../../download.spark?ID=1067125&aBID=115492[/img]

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1067135&aBID=115492[/img]

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1067137&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by JD on Friday 20th of January 2012 08:39:29 AM

-- Edited by JD on Friday 20th of January 2012 08:44:54 AM

-- Edited by JD on Friday 20th of January 2012 08:46:41 AM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote