Absolute Idiots - Gatwick Drone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is probably time for some ballistics expert to develop "Drone Shot" - maybe a shotgun type cartridge with ribbons to entangle rotors.

I am surprised that they cannot either jam the signals from the drone controllers or use RDF to home in on the operators.
In any case, they should spend a long time inside when apprehended!!

Cheers,
Richard.

Last edited:
The army have been called in and have "technologies" to deal with the drones!

Greetings,
Mr. m. I'm VERY surprised a plan to deal with drone "intrusions" is not already in place. This prank might have been fatal IF the perps' had other than mischief in mind.

Lack of at least electronic countermeasures appear to be a pretty big gap in maintaining an effective security perimeter. It would seem to me that the army should not be the only ones with sufficient technology to protect high profile locations.

"Drone shot" as suggested by Mr. 44 sounds pretty good.
Given the variety in ballistics it need not even be wires or ribbons in the cartridge. Perhaps a short range load of pellet would do the job.

One picture earlier today showed a portable RDF unit in use, but apparently, the drone operators run them in, pull back, shut down the transmitter, and move to another location.
Remember also, this is the English government speaking. They couldn't say "terrorist attack" if their own throats were bring cut for the glory of Islam.
The tangle gun sounds like a good idea. Maybe a 40 mm grenade launcher shell with rolls of fine wire unrolling like an oversize birthday popper.
Agreed, this and other preventive measures should already be in place. This kind of area denial attack was clearly forseeable.
JohnS

Can`t be that hard, a wedge tail eagle brought one down in Australia:
Gatwick is a rural location and a relatively small airport. Surely some missile could be deployed to bring the thing down. Fighter aircraft get scrambled for possible aircraft threats, why is this so different. Shoot it down!

Folks these things fly to 1000 feet plus and at a tidy rate.

The drone I use has a smart battery which is coded by the manufacturer to lower the allowable height when within five miles of an airport and to force land it nearer. Sort of an inverted cone. It will not fly if there is a software update, which allows them to continuously add no-fly or low-fly areas.

Reports I read today say that the drones must have been "modified," probably an override of those built in restrictions.

Last edited:
Can`t be that hard, a wedge tail eagle brought one down in Australia:
Gatwick is a rural location and a relatively small airport. Surely some missile could be deployed to bring the thing down. Fighter aircraft get scrambled for possible aircraft threats, why is this so different. Shoot it down!

Hi

A great video, here would be a chance for a good business to train battle birds to oppose drone attacks. The bird is fast and intelligent, the drone will certainly be the second in the race, thik Hitchcoc's the bird movie and bird army...

NBs

Last edited:
Really surprised the authorities couldn't have a military drone provide surveillance around the airport and visually track the perpetrators till they can be apprehended by the police.

Ted

Really surprised the authorities couldn't have a military drone provide surveillance around the airport and visually track the perpetrators till they can be apprehended by the police.

Ted

Helicopters could do the same, problem is that they could be standing inside a window or on a balcony and up to a mile or so from the drone.

BTW, it is London's second airport after Heathrow and the second busiest in the UK.

Helicopters could do the same, problem is that they could be standing inside a window or on a balcony and up to a mile or so from the drone.
I was assuming the military drone would be inconspicuous to the perpetrators and could fly significantly longer at a much lower cost.

Ted

Heck, I would think electronic surveillance and jamming would be easy...except GPS guided ones which again nearby jamming would be satisfactory but I'll am less familiar with that technology.

I bet that will be researched and instituted in the near future near all airports.

Last edited:
The Sussex police announced the arrest of the two drone pilots. It appears they are in for a rather severe wrist-slappin.'

The Sussex police announced the arrest of the two drone pilots. It appears they are in for a rather severe wrist-slappin.'
Let`s hope the slap is hard enough to incapacitate their wrists for driving a drone.
Though Gatwick is second only to Heathrow and a tad dowdy,it`s easy to use. Car hire pick up/drop is right next to the terminal,no traffic jams in/around the airport,quick passenger processing arriving or departing,easy hotel access(though the Hilton was awful last year and the excellent Premier had disappeared),trains to London in the terminal,etc. Very user friendly, except with a drone circling above.:)

Tower of London, then hanging at Tyburn.

Well maybe not not physically, but once their names are known... very much socially. They should book their tickets abroad - maybe on the Channel Ferry

Greetings,
I agree. More than a wrist slapping is warranted. Perhaps IF this was simply a prank and not a practice run for something more serious it will be a wake-up call for airports around the world to prepare for a similar eventuality.

I did a quick search and there IS a fair amount of counter measure equipment already on the market so someone is aware of the dangers.

" for a rather severe wrist-slappin.'"

3 hours in a stock outside the airport for EACH person delayed sounds about right to me.

We`ve had a serious drone issue here, a drone flown over a bushfire/wildfire. Causing fire fighting aircraft to vacate the fireground area for fear of collision with it.

You've probably seen the two suspects were released after 36 hours. All back to square 1 with no leads (so we're told) and now there's even doubt the drones were actually drones.

The thick plottens as they say...

Accidentally flying into airspace is one thing but flying over an active runway at an airport borders on a terrorist attempt.

I live on the outskirt of a flight path thats supposed to make the turn well before my house(and outside a restricted area) but regularly see planes flying low overhead.

I used to fly my drone around my property but stopped because of this... Just not worth it even if it's unlikely for a plane to approach at under 400'(legal limit for drones).

We had a friend visiting with his new drone a few years a go when we were at Fort George Island. He couldn’t get the thing to take off let alone fly. He kept getting a message on his monitor that it was because of restricted airspace. We were across the river from the Navel Station in Mayport.

I was amazed the newer, higher end drones had this function. Probabaly a good idea for security/safety and to keep the operator from getting arrested.

At least the two innocents who were publicly slandered will get some measure of compensation for all the abuse they suffered. An ill wind and all that.......

Maybe they can buy a drone.

Last edited:
" for a rather severe wrist-slappin.'"

3 hours in a stock outside the airport for EACH person delayed sounds about right to me.

Gee FF I figured you more as a "tar and feather" guy. :dance:

Folks these things fly to 1000 feet plus and at a tidy rate.

The drone I use has a smart battery which is coded by the manufacturer to lower the allowable height when within five miles of an airport and to force land it nearer. Sort of an inverted cone. It will not fly if there is a software update, which allows them to continuously add no-fly or low-fly areas.

Reports I read today say that the drones must have been "modified," probably an override of those built in restrictions.

Or it could just be an older drone that doesn't have these features. Mine doesn't.

It does seem low so I checked. You’re right.

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=22615

The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. Maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).

Things must have changed recently. When I first got my drone congress had told the FAA that they did not have authority to set rules for drones. Then the FAA tried to sue some people and the judge threw the cases saying the FAA did not have the authority to apply their rules.

Last I heard it was "recommended" to fly at 400 or below. Could be recent congressional action has changed all that. I must look it up before I next fly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom