View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #88
Verschuijten

City: Alphen A D Rijn
Vessel Name: ASHA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Oceanis 44 cc Clipper
I did insulation for temperature in our CT41 a few years ago for most of the places I could reach. I used X-trem for campers. It comes in different thickness and can be glued to the hull. It also comes with selfsticking back if you like. I just put it everywhere I could reach the hull. The good thing is you can bend it so it will follow the edges of the hull. I used 1 and 2 cm and just doubled it where possible. We did not glued it, just put it in place. It helps against moisture as well. Drier air is easier to warm up and so cheaper, and with less moisture you have less condensation. We got the boat back from high in 80% to a comfortable 60% in wintertime while we lived on it. Even in summertime it helps to keep the heat out. Also in my present boat which is double scaled we used X-Trem in places where possible. Never use glasswool in your boat. It will suck up the moisture and is not able to get rid of it. It will sack, is that the right term? and will become snotty. Steel boats which were done in the past by handyman are completely corroded away from the inside because they used glasswool. Use a closed cell foam what can withstand water. Hope this will add some info.
Verschuijten is offline   Reply With Quote