LED bulb supplier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Looking for current experience on where you purchase your LED bulbs. Especially places that can provide some tech support, good prices and a lot of choices.

Any of these (or others) favorites? I've use a few and had pretty good luck with Bulbtronics for very specialized bulbs.

Just shopping for the best.

1000bulbs.com
bulbamerica.com
marinebeam.com
superbrightleds.com
Bulbtronics.com

I love superbrightleds. Been using them for years and have very good customer service/tech. I have used them for my cars, boats and even house.

I've had good luck with Hero-led.com. Converted all the fixtures to take G4 base replacement LEDs. Hero has a good selection of different styles, color temperatures and number of emmitters. All the ones I have bought from them are 10 - 30 VDC. Shipping can be a little slow.

Ted

Excuse the novice question - but are you folks using LED fixtures, or are you putting LED bulbs in conventional incandescent fixtures?

If you are starting with a new build - I assume it is better to start with LED fixtures, but I have never had 12 volt LED fixtures or bulbs and don't know much about them.

Excuse the novice question - but are you folks using LED fixtures, or are you putting LED bulbs in conventional incandescent fixtures?

If you are starting with a new build - I assume it is better to start with LED fixtures, but I have never had 12 volt LED fixtures or bulbs and don't know much about them.

That's a good question!
I refuse to buy LED fixtures for either the house or the boat. While you would expect the fixture to outlive you, what happens if the LED emitter dies prematurely? You know you won't be able to buy the exact same fixture to match the rest in your house or boat. Then there is the cost. Which do you think will be cheaper to replace, the bulb or the fixture? Nope, I would fight the stupidity of any boat manufacturer that would force me to replace fixtures instead of bulbs.

Ted

Another vote for Superbrightleds

I started with el chepo online led strips & G4 bulbs on boat & motorhome but found they started flickering or burned out - I'm assuming because of the higher V during charging.
Switched to the superbright ones with 10-30V rating and constant A control circuits and have had no problems since.

Note Superbright also sells constant V power supplies that may minimize the charging impact on other bulbs if you choose to go that way

Hardly a scientific sampling so far..

Marinebeam fanboy here. Tried a bunch of other sources (including Superbright and Dr LED) then settled on them, they understand and offer solutions for boat related issues better than anyone, including nuances like replacing 12 volt AC halogens, and 32 volt systems. Quality and service excellent too.

I use Bulbtronics and Norman Lamps for incandescent, including some really obscure configurations.

https://normanlamps.com/index.php/cPath/728_754.

Hardly a scientific sampling so far..

Marinebeam fanboy here. Tried a bunch of other sources (including Superbright and Dr LED) then settled on them, they understand and offer solutions for boat related issues better than anyone, including nuances like replacing 12 volt AC halogens, and 32 volt systems. Quality and service excellent too.

I use Bulbtronics and Norman Lamps for incandescent, including some really obscure configurations.

https://normanlamps.com/index.php/cPath/728_754.

I don't think you will find any individual with enough data to constitute a reliable scientific sampling.
and I don't think Superbright is the only good supplier.
The take away I learned was the cheap online suppliers are likely not a good value in the long run.
Pick a quality supplier that provides complete technical specs and tech support and pick a bulb rated at more that 12-15V and you will do much better.

We usually choose either Dr. LED or Lunasea Lighting. Both are more expensive than many of the other choices, especially the no-name offerings on Amazon, but the quality control is very high. I have only had one bad replacement lamp, and they were quick to send a replacement free of charge. Years ago when I was more involved in the industry, we had 14 different LED lamps in the various fixtures on our boat. Every time I was at a boat show or talking to a rep I would ask for any new offerings they had and over time we had a one-of-each lighting scheme on the boat. It was a good way to compare brightness, light color, longevity... Some of the early LEDs had a lifespan of weeks, actually worse that incandescents.

Superbrightleds

What timing...

I just executed a return/new purchase from superbrightleds today (my fault in selection, not their mistake). The nice lady on the phone was EXCEPTIONALLY helpful. After I told her thanks, I will be ordering a replacement now, she reminded me of the HOLIDAY18 promotion code that is ending soon. So I made my new order.

So far, everything we have ordered from them has met/exceeded expectations.

Usual disclaimer applies.

Happy Holidays

All,

Looking for current experience on where you purchase your LED bulbs. Especially places that can provide some tech support, good prices and a lot of choices.

Any of these (or others) favorites? I've use a few and had pretty good luck with Bulbtronics for very specialized bulbs.

Just shopping for the best.

1000bulbs.com
bulbamerica.com
marinebeam.com
superbrightleds.com
Bulbtronics.com

Another vote for marinebeam. Most importantly, don't shop on price alone. USCG just reiterated previous forums published concerns with cheap LED replacements and VHF/AIS interference. Most noticeable with mast lights or sidelights close to antennas but can propagate also through boat's 12v wiring

All but one of ours are from marinebeam. Good products, and excellent online presence and both telephone/online customer support.

(When we got marinebeam products to replace many of our first-try LEDs from an earlier supplier, I saw evidence of too much heat on the back plane of the older ones... made me a bit nervous...)

We have a 5m LED strip in the engine room from superbrightleds, and that seems to be good... and I'm intending to add another 5m strip to that circuit when I get a round tuit.

-Chris

If you own a Hatteras, you will be looking for 32v Edison base bulbs. In that case Watt-a-light rules: 3,5,7 and 9 watt lamps in two color temps. The 3 & 5 watt lamps are smaller sized to fit into hallway and head fixtures.

I've had excellent results with super bright and marinebeam.

Have tried several different brands including Dr LED & Superbright. Found MarineBeam to be the brightest of all them for the same current consumption. Installed 23 MarineBeam LED's on MOJO and am very happy with them. Customer service was great helping me configure what I wanted. No VHF interference either!

i looked at most LED suppliers, and settled on amazon...good bulbs, and good prices! read what the buyers say, etcsome i took out the normal bulb, and put in
G-4`s...used the tube bulbs too, $9 each...takes a little searching, reading..i always buy the SOFT WHITE bulbs...clyde

I use Superbrite and replaced all my bayonet bulbs and the 12v screw in base bulbs in the engine room explosion proof fixtures. One of those burned out within .5 years so I'll try again and see how long it lasts. I also replaced my 12v florescent bulbs with LED strips including a red strip in my dual fixture in the galley. Works well!

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom